Nothing says summer like dandelions! Kids of all ages will have fun recreating this flower with a clever, fun, and creative Dandelion Art Project. This flower craft for kids is such a fun craft for toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and first grade.
Dandelion Art Project
Dandelions are an especially important part of the planet’s biodiversity! Dandelions provide food for bees and other pollinating insects including butterflies. Dandelions also provide us with a pop of yellow color early in spring. They always seem to come at just the right time. The white puff balls produced by the dandelion plant are equally fun to see and to play with! Blow the seeds off the stem and make a wish! Let’s make some dandelion art to celebrate this wonderful plant!
This beautiful dandelion art project is so much fun to make this summer with your toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners.
Dandelion Craft for Kids
Make your very own field of dandelions with just a fork and paint! This process is easy and super fun! The dandelion shape becomes visible after only a few strokes of your fork. You can even use the end of the fork to create the dandelion puff balls! Simply dip the end of the fork into white paint and stamp the fork on your paper!
To get started, you will need:
- Construction paper in blue and green
- Acrylic paint in yellow and white
- Brown or black marker
- White glue
- Lay your blue paper flat. You can also use white paper for the background. The yellow and green look lovely against the white.
- Squirt a small drop of yellow paint onto the paper. Repeat multiple times. Spread the drops out in different places across the paper. Place the drops at least an inch apart.
- Using your fork, scrape the paint from the center of each paint drop, outward. Turn your paper in multiple directions to achieve a round shape. Repeat this process until all the yellow drops have become dandelions!
- Now use a clean fork to create the dandelion puffs. Dip the end in white paint. Stamp the end of the fork multiple times in a circular manner to create the puff.
- Use your brown or black pen to create the stems. Simply draw a line extending down from both the puffs and the flowers to the bottom edge of the paper.
- To create the leaves, fold your green paper in half. Cut out a long leaf like shape. Remove triangles from the side of the folded leaf to give the appearance of dandelion greens. Try making leaves in varying heights and widths.
- Unfold the leaf and glue them to the dandelions. Try gluing some with the crease upwards and some with the crease towards the paper. This will give depth to your dandelion field!
For more plant art projects, check out these ideas from Brainy Beginnings Network:
- Flower Suncatcher Craft
- Painted Flower Craft
- Make a Monet
- Clothespin Butterflies
- Chromatography flower
- Dying flowers with science!
- Stained Glass Windows