Kids will love playing dinosaurs with the added excitement of baking soda and vinegar eruptions with this engaging dinosaur activities for preschoolers. Learn about these fascinating historic animals with this dinosaurs for kids play and learn with the added fun of a dinosaur science activity. From a baking soda and vinegar volcano to silly fizzing feet, this baking soda and vinegar experiment is loads of fun for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students.
Dinosaur Activities for Preschoolers
Young kids will love exploring, playing, and learning about dinosaurs for preschool with this EPIC dinosaur play! In this baking soda and vinegar experiment, toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students will get to pretend play with dinosaurs in a sensory bin for kids that not only allows for creativity, but includes a fun science activity for preschoolers too! In this dinosaur activities for preschoolers – the volcano can errupt and when the dinosaurs come out of the blue lake, their feet will carry the vinegar to the baking soda sand creating a chemical reaction that creates fun fizzing action for kids!
Dinosaur Sensory Bin
This sensory bin for toddlers was super easy to set-up. I filled a plastic bin with baking soda (which was the sand for the dinosaurs) added dinosaurs, an erupting volcano, and an interactive pond.
- large plastic storage tote (any size can be used, we used one that was 3 feet wide, 1.5 feet deep, and 1 foot tall)
- baking soda – you will need 3 boxes (but dont’ worry you can get them for $0.50 a box at Walmart)
- small plastic food storage (sandwich size)
- 1-2 cups vinegar
- food coloring (red and blue)
- playdough (storebought, clay, paper mache, or our playdough recipe)
- dinosaur figures (such as these dinosaur toob or these larger dinosaur figures)
Volcano Activity for Toddlers
The volcano was a small water bottle that I filled with warm water and a couple drops of red food coloring until only 2” were empty. Then I added 4-5 drops dish detergent. I put the lid on and placed it in the baking soda and surrounded it with a batch of homemade playdough (here is my recipe).
Baking soda and vinegar experiment
Note: If I had planned ahead more we might have covered it with paper mache or clay so it would have been a harder surface and we would have painted it darker as a contrast, but this worked. I actually sprinkled it with some spices to add some green and a nice smell.
When the kids were ready to make the volcano erupt I removed the lid and added 2-3 tab baking powder and 2 TAB vinegar. The kids were able to make the volcano erupt about 7 times – they loved this part!
Dinosaur activity for toddlers
I added a small plastic container filled with vinegar, blue food coloring, and peppermint extract (to mask the vinegar smell) to make the pond. The reason this was so interactive was that when the kids had the dinosaurs go in the pond they got vinegar on their feet which would cause a bubbling scientific reaction when the dinosaurs stood back on the baking soda!
The footprints were pretty cool too!
My kids were thoroughly enthralled with the chemical reactions first – wanting to see the volcano erupt over and over and giving each dinosaur extensive baths!
Then they actually began had more involved play with dinosaurs having families and running from the volcano. It was over 60 minutes of interactive FUN!
By the end of their playtime they had created some beautiful rivers and some lovely purple from the mixing of the blue pond and red volcano. I guess we got a lesson in color mixing too!
I recommend playing in play clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. My kiddos hands were slightly blue after their hour+ of play time, but they were back to normal by the next day. Their clothes also came clean, but again, I recommend play clothes or playing with the bin in the bath time in swimsuits.
This was just one of the fun things we did for our Dinosaur Unit. See all our dinosaur fun by clicking on the bone below:
Dinosaur Activities for 2nd Grade
If you are looking for other fun, free dinosaur printables to make learning fun with a dinosaur theme you will love these resources:
- Dinosaur Dinosaur Math
- Color Matching Dinosaur Activity
- Dino Number Recognition Games
- Cute Hand Dinosaur Craft for Toddlers
- Dinosaur Unit 2nd Grade and elementary age students
- Printable Dinosaur Color by Number Worksheets
- D is for Dinosaur
- Find the Letter Dinosaur Alphabet Printables Fun
- Dino Bones Punctuation Game
- Dinosaur Worksheets Preschool
- Dinosaur Printables
- Dinosaur Science Preschool
- Dinosaur Kindergarten STEM Activities
- Free Dinosaur Math Worksheets or these colorful Dinosaur Math Worksheets
- Hands-on Dinosaur Fossil Activities for Kids with free printables
- Printable Dinosaur Templates for craft projects
- Paleontologist Worksheet Pack
- TONS of Dinosaur Activities for kids of all ages
- Even more ideas to add to your dinosaur theme or dinosaur theme preschool
- Color Matching Dinosaur Activities
- Printable Dinosaur Sight Words Activity
Baking Soda Vinegar Experiment
There are so many fun ways to play and teach kids about chemical reactions using a baking soda and vinegar reaction. Here are some of our favorite baking soda and vinegar activities.
- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BLAST OFF! Rocket Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Look Inside a Volcano Experiment for Kids
- Science Play – Dinosaur Activities for Preschoolers
- Glitter Volcano Pretty Science Experiment
- Science Powered Boats with Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- Rainbow Activities for Preschoolers
Baking soda and vinegar reaction
- Snow Volcano Experiment
- Melting Snowballs Winter Science Experiment
- Exploding Snowman Experiment
- Melting Snowan Winter Science Experiment
- Erupting Snowman Science
- Snow Science Experiments
- Valentines Day Science Love Potion
- Easy Dancing Hearts Science Experiment
- Valentines Day Baking soda and vinegar balloon
- Leprechaun Rocks St Patricks Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Color Mixing St Patricks Day Activity for Toddlers
- Red White and Blue Science Experiments
- Dancing Candy Canes Science Project
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Melting Christmas Tree – Christmas science experiments
- Fizzing Gingerbread Science Experiment