- Download free Safari Counting to 30 printable in color or black and white (below)
- Print game board (enlarge if you prefer); you can use a laminator for durability.
- Print 2 copies of each page of cards onto cardstock or use use a laminator
- Cut along lines to separate the cards
- Use any small objects for game pieces, but plastic safari animals would be brilliant if you have them.
Directions to play (in pairs)
- Place cards in one pile facing down off the game board.
- First player turns top card, placing it on the sky then moving their game piece that many places.
- Second player takes their turn and so on until 30 is reached.
- Remove the bigger number cards to make counting easier if necessary.
- They do not need to turn the exact number to finish on 30.
Getting the most out of the gameLearning to count on, or count forward, is an important math skill for little ones to master.
- Just learning to count?: Then ask your kids to count out the numbers on the cards as they move their game pieces.
- Getting familiar with numbers to 30?: Just counting the card numbers is too easy and will not do much to broaden their mathematical understanding. Ask your child to count on from the number on the board. For example, if they are on 16 and get ‘add 4,’ research says they’ll double their learning by saying “17, 18, 19, 20,” rather than “1, 2, 3, 4.” You may like to take out the bigger numbers to make this easier at the beginning.
- Getting familiar with numbers to 100?: If your child is ready for more you can download this free Race to 100 board game here.
- Wanting to read?: Encourage children to read the words on the cards as well as the numbers. Even if they just sound out the first letter. The pictures are good prompts! I hope your little ones enjoy this game and wish you happy teaching and learning!
More Preschool / Kindergarten Math Games
- Bingo Marker Number Worksheets
- Blueberry Muffin Math
- Hole Punching Math Game
- LEGO Duplo Number Mats
- Gumball Math: Addition & Subtraction
Download FREE Safari Counting to 30 GameBefore you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Founder of Liz's Early Learning Spot, Australian Early Childhood teacher, mom, audiobook queen, lover of beach and bush walks. You can also find me on: Facebook and Pinterest