We continued our history for kids by learning about early explorers for kids through good books and hands of learning FUN! We added Magellan, Conquistador, and Aztec sections to our lapbook/timeline.
Magellan & The Spanish Conquistadors for Kids
Early Explorer MAGELLAN for Kids
Math & History Connection
How many men died? I know it sounds morbid – but I wanted Goofy to grasp how dangerous this trip was. Out of the 250 men and 5 ships that set out from Spain only 1 ship and 18 of Magellan’s original crew made it back. YIKES! (This worksheet is also in the FREE Lapbook download)
Early Explorer Magellan Books for Kids
Here are our two favorite resources for learning about Magellan. The first is a great resource on ALL explorers with a short 1 page of information, dates, and clipart about each explorer from the Vikings to Armstrong and more. We bought our own copy and are so glad we did. The second goes much more in depth about Magellan and his treacherous journey. It is easy to read, has lots of illustrations, and interesting information. For sure check it out of your local library.
Aztecs & Spanish Conquistadors for Homeschool Kids
- What is a Conquistador? What were there objectives?
- Learned about Hernan Cortes, Juan Ponce de Leon, Coronado
- Discussed differences between Columbus & the Conquistadors (see free printable)
- Made Montezuma’s headdress
- Made a 3D paper Aztec pyramid
- Made Aztec Necklace
- Made Quetecotyl mask
- Made Aztec Art (see post for more details) – All Aztec towns had a marketplace where merchants, craft workers, and farmers would barter for goods. Many traders were women. One of the items the Aztec traders brought to the conquered town of Tlatelolco in 1473 was a monkey pot made of obsidian (stone produced by erupting volcanoes). So we set about making our own replica of the monkey pot with clay and black acrylic paint.
- Read about cocoa beans from Aztecs & had hot cocoa
Did you know the Aztecs used cocoa beans as money?
Early Explorers Resources: (let me further explain a few . .. )
- The Ancient Aztecs (treasure box) – This was Goofy’s favorite! It has a map with stickers, kit to build an Aztec Pyramid, Aztec flute, guild your own necklace, make your own Montezuma headdress, Queztecotyl mask, Aztec game, informational book on Aztecs & every item in the kit. Goofy LOVED this resource and was especially excited about the Aztec Pyramid AND the secret drawer in this ‘treasure box’.
- The Hands on History Aztecs is FANTASTIC! It has information, pictures, maps, and many step-by-step activities: 2 headed serpent stamp, great temple statue, pendant, Aztec hot cocoa, Patolli game, Aztec Calendar, Noble’s cloak, Clay Monkey Pot, Aztec mask, and rattle. So many great, fun ideas!
Note: The Aztecs offered human sacrifices to their gods; the You Wouldn’t want to be an Aztec sacrifice is a ‘cartoon’ but does explain how they had blood running down the Aztec Pyramid, would cut out their hearts (and eat them). Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Facts about explorers
You may also enjoy these other great activities:
- Leif Erikson for Kids Reader to Read, Color, and Learn
- Viking Activities for Kids – build a viking ship, read about famous vikings, find Vinland, and more!
- Learn about European Explorers for kids such as Amerigo Vespucci, Vasco de Gama, and Columbus with this hands-on history lesson
- James Cook Study
- Explore with Henry the Navigator and Marco Polo activities in this fun history lesson
- Work on math and litearcy skills with these free printable explorer worksheets
- Join Drake, Cartier, and Henry Hudson for kids as they explore the new world in this fun history lesson
- Learn about Magellan, the Aztec, and the Spanish Conquistadors for Kids
- Don’t miss all our resources for learning about early explorers for kids
- Learn about 13 Famous Explorers for Kids Printable Reader to read, color, and learn
- Famous European Early Explorers Printable Notebook Pages
- Early Explorers for Kids Pennant Posters
- FREE Printable Famous Early Explorers Coloring Pages
History Lessons for Kids
Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- Dive into Mesopotamia History to learn about Gilgamesh
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Learn about castles, knights, and more in this exciting Middle Ages for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Civil War for Kids – students will learn about slavery, famous Americans from the Civil War, famous battles, and how our nation stayed together. Lesson includes printable worksheets, mapping activities, printable civil war board game and more!
- Learn about US States for Kids – state coloring pages, president coloring pages, state report forms, states and capital printables, and so much more!
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Titanic for Kids Reader to Color and Learn
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- 1930s for Kids – Printable Book about the Golden age of Hollywood, Great Depression for Kids and more to read, color, and learn
- Life in the 1940s America for Kids Reader
- Learn about the trading of goods that began in 1941 with this Columbian Exchange for Kids printable reader.
- Anne Frank for Kids Printable Reader to read, color, and learn about this Jewish girl who lived behind the wall in Holland during World War 2
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
Geography for Kids
- Grab this realistic looking Free Printable Passport for Kids
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Kids can research to learn about other countries with these country worksheets.
- Around the World I Spy Worksheets – learn about 36 countries
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- Geography Treasure Hunt Activity
- Landforms Worksheets pdf free
- Snap Geography Games for Kids
- Read, Color and Learn about other countries with FREE country studies including: Vietnam For Kids and Greece for Kids and Peru for Kids and Kenya for Kids and Israel for Kids, plus many more!
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables and resources:
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- United States I Spy Worksheets
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Fireworks Patriotic Craft
- 50 States Worksheets
- State Animals USA Printables Scavenger Hunt
- United States Scavenger Hunt of State Birds
- FREE USA State Flowers Scavenger Hunt Printables for Kids
FREE Early Explorers Lapbook & Worksheets
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
You are an amazing person, I would love to be your student or your child, the way your present the lessons is always so much fun.
I have one son and we enjoy your lessons.
Thank you for sharing your great talent.