Note: I know for some people this is a very personal subject. We have done our best to represent a historically accurate account of life for Native Americans. We also discussed the influence of the white settlers along with life today for those with Native American roots. But the emphasis is on the historical part when the settlers first arrived.
I do not claim to be an expert in Native American culture and I know we have had to simplify many aspects of their culture and beliefs to fit with teaching this to elementary age kids. If you do not “like” our unit for whatever reason, I’m sorry. Any harsh comments will be deleted, but I welcome constructive feedback!
Native Americans Unit #4The Pacific Northwest tribe can be seen in purple in the map below. Because they were so far away from the east coast the European influence didn’t get to them until the 1700s as apposed to the 1500s for the majority of the North American tribes.
Native American Pacific Northwest Tribes Unit for Kids
We started out by printing out the Pacific Northwest tribe printable books (from the free printable below). We read through the information.
Then we completed the worksheets comparing all four Native American tribes we studied, review worksheets, and a look at the Seminole tribe in Florida.
Books to Read on the Pacific Northwest Tribes
Then we dived into my favorite part, making history come alive with hands on learning!
We Made Totem Poles
We used the free printable totem pole worksheets in the pack below to make our own totem poles. First we read what totem poles represented and their importance in their community. Then the kids picked what animals (and their meaning) they wanted on their totem poles.
Then they cut them out and taped (or glued) on their rolled up piece of construction paper (or paper towel rolls if you have enough)
Native American Fieldtrip
We took a Field trip to see some Native American artifacts. If you live close to a reservation, consider taking a tour and see some historical artifacts along with a look at how they live today.
Follow our Homeschool Board on Pinterest!
Homeschooling? Don’t miss all these goodies!
- 12 Must Read Books for Homeschooling Moms
- Keeping Homeschool Kids Excited about Learning
- Making Sense of Reading Levels
- Homeschool Room Makeover
- Our NEW Workboxes
- Homeschool Schedule & Curriculum Choices Year by Year
- Free School Punchcards (for kids to check off as they go through their day)
- 13 Homeschool Blogs You Should be Following
Download Pacific Northwest Tribes Pack
- By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!