Children will be amazed as they learn about how airplanes fly for kids including the history of aeronautics, four forces of flight, and so much more. This airplanes for kids lesson includes not only information, but hands-on activities too. THis how do airplanes fly for kids is perfect for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th graders too.
How airplanes fly for kids
Before beginning your study of aeronotics I suggest you teach your children about air pressure for kids. Once your students understand air, you are ready to dive in and understand how planes fly for kids. In this lesson on how airplanes fly for kids children will read some fun airplane books, watch some fascinating videos that explain how do airplanes fly for kids, and engaging airplane activiteis for kids too. This airplane lesson plans for kindergarten is handy to use with preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 studnets too.
How planes fly for kids
To start out, we picked upsome wonderful books on airplanes and the history of flight:
Start off by reading some fascinating books on flight for kids!
History of Airplanes
Learn about the history of airplanes by reading the books above, a local fieldtrip, and watching a video like the following:
4 Forces of Flight
- Lift The upward force that is created by the movement of air above and below a wing. Air flows faster above the wing and slower below the wing, creating a difference in pressure that tends to keep an airplane flying.
- Gravity The force that pulls all objects towards the earth.
- Thrust The force that moves a plane forward through the air. Thrust is created by a propeller or a jet engine.
- Drag The air resistance that tends to slow the forward movement of an airplane.
Now I suggest building various paper airplanes and experimenting with the four forces of flight:
Planes for Kids
Looking for more fun plane crafts for kids, science lessons, or transportation ideas? Check these out:
- Learn how do airplanes fly for kids
- AirPlane Printables – Rhyming CVC Words Do a Dot
- Pool Noodle Airplane Craft
- Simple Straw Airplane Craft
- 22+ Fun Plane Crafts for Kids
- Simple Popsicle Stick Ariplane Craft for Preschoolers
- Trace Shapes with hotwheels with these cute Road Shape Mats
- Transportation Pom Pom Activity Sheets
- Super Cute Transporation Playdough Mats
- Planes, Trains, and Cars oh my! HUGE pack of Free Transporation Worksheets
Science Experiments for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Simple Radiation Experiments at Home your kids use in everyday life!
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Atoms for Kids Easy Chemister Experiments at Home
- 5 minute Surface Tension Experiment for Kids
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
Science for Kids
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments – which delicious project will you try first?
- EASY, Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit (coloring pages, hands on science projects, worksheets, and more!)
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- Life Cycles for Kids (from penguin to sunflower and spider to turkey we have LOTS of life cycles to explore and learn about)
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Human Body Project
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Easy Rubber Band Powered Car
- Paint Stick Solar System Project for Kids
- Fun-to-Make Lego Balloon Car Project
- Candy Corn Catapults STEM Project for Kids
- EPIC Exploding Snowman Science Experiment for Winter
- Melting Christmas Science Experiments
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Find LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!