If your kids are like mine, a mystery of any kind is exciting. My daughter LOVES scavenger hunts more than ice cream and candy. She loves playing Clue and enjoys a good mystery movie too. So when we were at a restaurant the other day and the kids menu had a mystery sentence to solve, she was ALL about it! She asked me to make her more and that I did.
More Fun & FREE Sentence Activities for Kids
- Sentence Pizza Parlor
- Read! Trace! Write! Sight Word Sentences
- Building Sentences with Pre Primer Sight Words
- Smores Sentence Game
FREE Mystery Code Sentences
This is a fun activity because there is no real way to know the answer before actually working to solve it. Which is great for my daughter, she is not a show your work kind of girl.
So how do you play? Let me share.
On the top of the page is a grid with all the letters of the alphabet (plus a few extra to fill the empty spaces). Each row is labeled with a letter, A B or C. Each column is assigned a number.
Under the sentence line is a bunch of codes. For instance C9 or B6. The child needs to simply go to row C and column 9, grab that letter and write it on that letter line. The next code would be row B, column 6. When all of the letters are found, a sentence will be complete. HOW FUN?!?
I also created blank lines that you can write your own code words in. This is perfect for creating sentences around sight words that your child is currently working on or needs extra help with.
I also created separate, empty grids in case you want to only work on specific letters.
If your child is more advanced, you could do an entire paragraph of code letters for him/her to solve.
This would be fantastic for a birthday card or special note too, wouldn’t it?!?
If you would like to keep this activity to use more than once, my simple suggestion is to laminate the sheets and have your child use a dry erase marker.
Simple yet exciting activities like these are perfect for children who need a little more encouragement to want to learn. This mystery activity is literally a game that turns into spelling.
Not only is this beneficial for practicing sight words, sentences and other literacy skills but is also fantastic for practicing the graphing element of math.
Download Mystery Code Sentences
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!