Help kids learn about early american settlers by learning about a common home for colonial americans with this fun, hands-on wattle and daub house school project. This easy-to-make colonial america project will help kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students about American history for kids. I will show you how to make a wattle and daub house l explore the various colonial america settlers in our hands on history unit for homeschoolesr. Today we have a fun history project – building a traditional Wattle & Daub house from the early settlers era.
Early Settlers in Colonial America
We’ve moved on from studying about Early Explorers and are now studying Colonial America. As we began reading about the Jamestown Colony we took a closer look at how they built their homes – wattle and daub houses. Wattle & Daub Houses are made by using a woven lattice of wooden strips called wattle and then daubed with a sticky material usually made of some combination of wet soil, clay, sand, animal dung, and straw. Wattle and daub has been used for at least 6,000 years, and is still an important construction material in many parts of the world. It is super easy and such a fun american history activity for kids; let me show you how to build a wattle and daub house. This wattle and daub house school project is fun for kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students studying American History for Kids. I love project that make history come alive and this United States history project is lots of fun!
Wattle and daub house school project
We choose the size of our miniature house based on the size & number of sticks we found laying around our backyard. It was about 16” x 16” x 12” tall. We started by putting thicker sticks in the four corners, putting at least 2-3” in the ground. We then added one stick in the middle for all sides except the front which we left open to see inside our house.
How to make a wattle and daub house
We then used gathered sticks and dried vines to weave through the sticks on all three walls all the way up to the top.
Then we mixed up some soil, water, and straw.
Goofy used his hands (Mommy used the shovel) to fill in the walls with the mud & straw. (We opted not to use dung!!)
How to build a wattle and daub house
Then we laid some branches over the top and added more straw (no pointy roof for our wattle and daub house). Here is the back of our Colonial Wattle & Daub house.
We stuffed straw into socks to make mattresses (stuffed like they did in Colonial times).
Then we added the mattresses, wood for a fire, kettle for cooking, and some people to complete our house.
Here is a close-up of our three-walled Wattle & Daub Colonial House.
It was a super fun project that made Colonial times come alive to my Kindergartner. Now he wants to know – what’s next?!?!?
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables and resources:
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- Painters Tape American Flag Craft
- US State Symbols Mats
- American Revolution for Kids
- Printable Maps for Kids
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Fireworks Patriotic Craft
- 50 States Worksheets
- Super CUTE, Free State Coloring Pages
- Native Americans for Kids – explore various tribes as you create free printable book, make PVC tent, totem poles, Indian fry bread, husk dolls, recreate an archeological dig with arrow heads, and more!
- Colonial America for Kids takes kids on a journey back to the first settlers in America – eat Gruel, make a Wattle & Daub house, create a tin lantern, write with a quill, make simple Johnny Cakes, make you own marbles, create traditional silhouette art projects, and more.
- American Revolution for Kids. In 4 units your students will learn what events lead up to the American Revolution and famous figures will making dragon pistols, roll their own cartridges, working spy cipher, cold feet activity.
- What was the Westward Expanion? History comes alive as they learn about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, and more with printables and activities like making a covered wagon, homemade crackers, how to square dance, pan for gold, and make a railroad project.
- Civil War for Kids We have recommendations for mapping and visiting famous battle sights nearby, printable civil war board game, make an informative emergent reader, create a flip book or people students should know, and complete some free printable Civil War worksheets.
Geography for Kids
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- 16 Countries for Kids Printables
- Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about Vietnam For Kids Printable Mini Book
- Travel to Athens to learn about the Parthenon, Greek Food and more with these Greece for Kids printable books
- Learn about Peru for Kids with this printable book to read, color, and learn about Machu Pichu, llamas in the mountain communities, and more!
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty, learn about typical foods and more!
- Delight in all the natural wonders and historical fort in the lovely island country of Puerto Rico for Kids printable mini books to read, color, and learn!
- Kenya for Kids Printable Book to learn about this African country with lots of amazing wild life
- Learn about Israel for Kids printable mini book about this lovely country
- You can find all our country coloring pages coloring pages or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Continents and Oceans Printables
- Country Research Flip Books
- Missionary Study Pages
- Children around the World Worksheets
- Country Coloring Book – explore 36 countries with country coloring pages