There are letters in our alphabet that really aren’t used that often. And to be honest, I expected my little ones to just figure them out. But one thing I’ve learned is that children that struggle with reading need specific instruction in all areas. And that includes the /kw/ sound. This fun phonics printable activity is great for helping kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders reading qu words. Simply download pdf file with qu words worksheets and you are ready to play and learn while having fun with dot markers!
These are low prep, FREE qu word printables. And there are two ways to use them. First, print off the pages that you need. Then you can decide if you want the printable to used once or multiple times. No matter how you use these qu words worksheets, your kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students will have fun practicing and improving reading and spelling skills at the same time.
qu words worksheets
Qu phonics worksheet
Though I hate making tons of copies, in this case, I prefer the only using it once method. My daughter struggles with fine motor skills, and our physical therapist recommends not using dry erase markers to practice writing. At first, I was frustrated. That meant extra copies of handwriting pages and just more paper in general. But the reasoning behind it made perfect sense. A dry-erase marker requires very little pressure when writing compared to a pencil. And my little one needs to practice writing with a pencil and making her marks come out dark and clear.
So the way we did this activity was by grabbing some do-a-dot markers and a pencil.
Of course, if you don’t have a child that struggles with writing with a pencil, doing this activity with a dry erase marker is a fantastic idea. Simply place the paper in a sheet protector, grab a dry erase marker, and something to cover up the words. (marbles, snap cubes, red/yellow circles, etc)
Teaching qu words
All our sweet little ones need to learn these two important rules about qu!
- The /kw/ sound is almost always spelled with a qu. Or when you see qu, you say /kw/.
- In our wonderful English language, you never write a q without an u.
Reading qu words
Before we began reading we reviewed the magic e words.
Some of the words are closed-door words or words that are short vowels.
Others end with a silent e, to make the vowel long.
Once we read the words at the top of the page and practiced writing them, we then found those words and dotted them. Sometimes I would find her dotting similar words like quilt and quill. At that point, I would have her look back at the word we were working on, and the word we dotted. I’d have her sound out the word she dotted, and look at the differences. It was a great way to focus on certain letters and their sounds.
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Qu Words Printables
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.