Practice reading igh sound words
with these free printable slide and read activities. This igh words phonics
activitiy is perfect for first graders who are working on the igh sound
with a fun, engaging activity. Simply print colorful sliders filled with word with igh in them
and you are ready to slide, read, and learn!
igh Words Phonics
You have got to love English. Some things make perfect sense, while others are just plain confusing. Seriously, to make the long i sound you can have an open door syllable like ____. Or you could add a magic e. For example, kite. Another option would be to use the vowel team “ie” as in pie. Of course, there is the “y” that makes the long i sound at the end of a one-syllable word (cry). And in my own personal opinion, I think that is plenty of options. But we have to explore one more, and this has been a hard one for my kiddos. Another way to make the long i sound is with “igh”. Knowing that only making one sound when you see three letters is hard, I knew we needed lots of practice. So just to practice reading “igh” as “i”, I made word sliders.
file will open in a new window for you to save your freebie.
igh sound words
Though word sliders require a little prep-work, I love that they allow my kiddos to quickly read a list of words. They enjoy it, and they get lots of practice making one specific sound. It is a win-win.
- First, print off the sliders you want to use. The last slider focuses on two syllable words. So if that is a little advanced for your reader, you may want to skip that one.
- Next, cut out the sliders and letters.
- On the dotted lines, use an exacto knife to cut a place for the letters to slide through.
- Slide the letters in-between the two cuts you just made, and you are good to go.
igh words list
Having three letters together that only makes one sound can stop the flow of even the best reader. So having kiddos practice reading these words in isolation, can be a big help…., especially for our readers who struggle.
I love the little story that helps our readers with these crazy letters. It goes something like this:
G and H are friends, and they love seeing their other friend, letter I. Whenever they see their friend, letter I, they are so happy. They are so excited that together they yell his name, I (long i sound).
Hopefully, with a little practice reading “ig” words with the word sliders, spelling words with these igh puzzles, and the fun stor
y, your little reader won’t be tricked by these three letters anymore.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
Looking for more blends activities
for young learners? You will love these resources:
Words with igh in them
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.