If you’re looking for engaging and reusable learning activities for kindergarten and first grade students, these file folder games are just what you need! These file folder activities cover a variety of skills including additon, money, telling time, rhyming, word blends, and more! Simply pick the file folder fun you want to try and print the free file folder game!
File folder games
File folder games are an excellent way to help students practice skills and concepts in a fun and playful way. You can use these printable file folder games to help kindergartners and first graders work on skills such as skip counting, money, telling time, addition, rhyming, opposites, word blends and so much more! They are great for using in the classroom, or at home, and they also make an excellent travel activity. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – these fodler games are perfect for grade 1 and kidnergartners!
What is a File Folder Game?
File folder games are activities that are contained in one folder. The game pieces and cards are usually made of card stock, or printed and laminated, and then cut out to fit the dimensions of a file folder. The game pieces are often stored in an envelope or bag that is attached to the back of the folder to keep all the pieces handy.
If you are looking for some great options for younger kids check out this list of our favorite preschool file folder games.
File folder activities
File folder games are great for first graders and kindergartners because they are a fun, hands-on, learning activity that can be adapted to work on lots of different skills. The games are easy enough for students to work on independently, and visually appealing, which helps to keep students engaged and focused. The games are also easy to make, and reusable, which makes them an excellent resource for homeschoolers and teachers who are looking for
learning activities that can be used over and over again.
What You Need to Make File Folder Games
With some basic supplies, you can create a variety of fun and engaging file folder games for first grade and kindergarten students. For all these printable file folder games you’ll need to click on the links below to download the games, and print them out. Then all you’ll need to make them is some scissors, a laminator (optional), a file folder, Velcro or magnets, and something to store your file folder game in, such as a large ziplock bag.
I put my file folder games together using self-stick magnets or Velcro so they are totally self-contained and perfect for individual learning. I color coded my folders for ease of use, so all our K/1st folders are blue and our Preschool folders are green.
- Car File Folder Punctuation Game from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
This cars theme games makes practicing punctuation (such a period, exclamation mark, and question mark) fun for students.
- Zoo Alphabet Match Game from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games.
This free printable letter matching activity makes a great file folder game.
- Apple Tree Math File Folder Game from Itsy Bitsy Fun.
Practice simple addition with this bright and colorful file folder game.
- Skipping to Oregon File Folder Game from File Folder Fun.
Kids will have fun practicing skip counting by 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, and 10s while reinforcing the concept of the Oregon Trail.
- Minion Contraction Words Games from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
The kids will love this quick, easy, and outrageously cute Minion contractions game.
- Watermelon Number Puzzles from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games.
Add some Velcro to these printable puzzles to turn them into a fun, summery, file folder game.
- Alphabet Turkey File Folder game from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Practice letters and phonemic awareness with this fun, seasonal, turkey themed file folder game.
Free file folder games
- Dino Bones File Folder Game from File Folder Fun.
This fun game helps kids practice basic addition and subtraction math facts.
- Doggy Addition File Folder Game from 123 Homeschool For Me.
Make practicing addition fun for kids with this super cute, free printable addition game.
- Dog And Bone Addition Facts Game from Kindergarten Worksheets and Games.
This fun free printable game fits perfect into a file folder.
- Ice Cream File Folder Games from Kids Activities Blog.
This printable letter matching game is perfect for a summer learning theme.
- Space Rhymes File Folder Game from File Folder Fun
This fun space themed game helps kids practice rhyming.
- Aquarium Subtraction Math Game from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Make math fun with this super cute subtraction file folder game for grade 1.
- Leaf Sorting Shapes Game from Sea of Knowledge.
This fall themed shape sorting printable is perfect for a file folder game.
File folder fun
- What Time is It? File Folder Game from Mr Printables.
This printable file folder activity is a great way to learn how to tell the time.
- Polar Picnic File Folder Game from File Folder Fun.
Practice opposite words with this printable file folder game.
- Marshmallow Incident Noun and Verb Sorting Game from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Practice identifying nouns and verbs with this fun noun and verb games printable based on one of our favorite books.
- Ten Apples Up on Top File Folder Game from Views from a Step Stool.
This is a fun way to learn with this favorite Dr Seuss book.
- Rain Showers Consonant Blends File Folder Game from File Folder Fun
Work on consonant blends and digraph recognition with this fun game that is perfect for spring!
- Fruit Slices File Folder Game from Coffee Cups and Crayons.
This is a fun matching game which is perfect for introducing kids to file folder games.
Do you have a favorite kindergarten or first grade file folder game to add to the list? I hope this helps you save time searching around for good file folder
games! If you have a favorite that is not on our list please tell me about it in the comments section!
- 50 Books for Kindergarten Book List – Books for Kindergarteners to read themselves
- Kindergarten Calendar Printable, free Days of the Week Worksheets
- Kindergarten Spelling Words – add a vowel practice or Free Kindergarten spelling words Printable
- Hoppy Frog Math Game (addition within 10 and addition to 20), free kindergarten math worksheets, and Goldfish Kindergarten Subtraction Games
- Roll to 100 Counting Game, 100s Chart Battleship Game, and Days of the Week Worksheets
- Free Ordinal Number Worksheet, Pirate I Spy Worksheets, Crack the Code Worksheet Pages
- Playdough Subtraction Smash free printable math activity, What Comes Next Kindergarten Math, pattern math worksheets
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf, Short E CVC Words Booklet, Crack the Code CVC Word Worksheets
- Crayon CVC Words Activity, free CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable, Blowing Bubbles Word Family Activities
- Word Family Sliders Free – lots of styles to print in color or black and white
- Free Printable Seasons Worksheets w/ Free 4 Season Printables, Large Printable Weather Unit for kids
- Rain Cloud for Kids experiment and free worksheet, Water Cycle for Kids Printable Book
- Human Body human body playdough mats , EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project
- Amazing 5 Senses for kids lesson, Free Community Helpers Coloring Pages – over 20 pages, Community Helpers Printables Wheel – spin and learn, Free Kindergarten Word Search with Sight Words
- Non Standard Measurement Worksheets, Free Printable Community Helpers Matching Game
Can you help me in why I can’t get the downloads for Dino Bones, Space Rhymes and Polar Picnic File Folder Games. Would really like these if still available.