Hopefully by now your 4th grader is a confident reader who enjoys reading.
If not, make sure they are reading books at their level (if they aren't ready for a book it is just going to be a frustrating experience) and reading good books. Sometimes kids think they don’t like to read because they aren't reading great books.
With so many books out there sometimes it can be difficult to discern okay books from good books from GREAT books!
HINT: Try using one of our handy Reading Comprehension Bookmarks (any book: fiction or non fiction) to ensure your child is understanding what they are reading!
I worked hard to make this list of best 4th grade books for my own kids. My goals were these:
- Amazing stories that will engage and captivate
- Rich vocabulary
- Variety of topics to expand their knowledge base
- Since time is always short, to include only really quality books that are incredibly well liked, notable, and/or have stood the test of time
4th Grade Reading ListBooks are listed by reading level for your convenience! So when your child starts 4th grade (or is at a 4th grade reading level), just start reading books that interest them from the top to the bottom.
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume (3.3)
The Bears on Hemlock Mountain by Alice Dalgliesh (3.5)
Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo (3.9)
Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg (3.9)
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham (4.1)
100 Cupboards by N. D. Wilson (4.2)
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (4.2)
Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney (4.2)
The Good Master by Kate Seredy (4.4)
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (4.4)
Mary Poppins by Dr. P. L. Travers (4.5)
Many Moons by James Thurber (4.5)
The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog by John R. Erickson (4.5)
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (4.5)
The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr (4.5)
Leepike Ridge by N. D. Wilson (4.7)
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (4.7)
On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (4.7)
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg (4.7)
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (4.7)
The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan (4.7)
The Family Under the Bridge by Natalie Savage Carlson (4.7)
Gentle Ben by Walt Morey (4.8)
All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor (4.9)
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe C. S. Lewis (4.9)
Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorensen (4.9)
The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare (4.9)
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawl (4.9)
The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White (4.9)
The Toothpaste Millionaire by Jean Merrill (5.0)
Old Yeller by Fred Gipson (5.0)
Download 4th Grade Reading ListTo make it easies to pick out books at the library I made a printable from this list. Just pick the style you like and print that page. Fold in half and laminate for a convenient bookmark. Use a dry erase markers to cross off books you’ve finished. By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to share please just share the link to this post)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission fromn Scrappin Doodles License #94836 & ClipArtopia
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> 4th Grade Reading List <<
Did I miss one of your favorite 4th grade books? I’d love to add to this list. Feel free to leave me the book title and author in the comments!