Kids will have fun practicing sorting colors and improving fine motor skills with this Color Sorting Mitten Activity for Toddler, Preschool, and Kindergarten age kids.
This colorful activity will be perfect for your toddler or preschooler. Combine it with simple counting activities and make it appeal-able to older kids too!
What you need to set this up:
- Different colors felt mittens(you can use craft foam or cardboard too, use THIS as a template)
- Corresponding color pompoms
- Plastic tweezers
I like to set up these activities on a tray: it helps to keep the activity tidy. In the class setup, you can have different tray activities on one table without it getting mixed up too much.
Color Sorting Mitten Activity
The child pick up a color pompom using the tweezer, then place it on the correct color mitten. Using tweezers requires using those ever important fine motor skills and hand eye coordination skills for placing it correctly. Identifying the correct color mitten works on visual discrimination skills.
Talk about the different colors: naming it with toddlers and preschoolers. Older children can count the pompoms and discover which mitten has the most, fewest etc. thus working on language development too!
Kindergartners and first graders can do simple simple sums, for example:
- How many blue and red pompoms do you see?
- How many pompoms altogether?
- How many pompoms except the green ones?
- and so on…..
Use a dice to turn this setup into a game: roll the dice and add that amount of pompoms. Divide the mittens between kids. Each one gets a chance to roll the dice. See who has a mitten full of pompoms first!
Also come and see how we used these mittens for upper and lower case matching HERE.
Color Activities for Preschoolers
- Free Printable Color Worksheets
- How to Grow Rainbow Crystals EASILY at Home – Spring Science Activity
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime Activity for Kids
- 27 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super Cute Crayon Colors Craft
- Fruit Loop Color Activity for Preschool
- Printable color flashcards for toddlers
- Preschool Color Book Printable
- 40 Colour Recognition Activities
- Rainbow Sorting Games for Preschoolers
- Learning Color Words
- Fall Emergent Reader
- Learning Colors Printable
- Free Color Sorting Mat
- Learning Color Words Puzzles
- Octopus Learning Colors Printable
- Fruit Loop Color Activitity for Kindergarten
- Valentines Day Color Activity for Preschool
- Colors Book Printable
- Christmas Color Activity for Preschool
- Christmas Color Activities for Kindergarten
- Painting Worksheets
- Seashell Playdough Color Activity for Preschoolers
- Easter Color Words for Kids Printable Reader
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printable
- Good night Gorilla Color Activity for Preschool
- Turkey Color Activity for Preschool
- Fruit Loop Sorting Ma
- Mouse Paint Color Worksheets
- See all of our color activities for kids