Kids will have fun practicing sorting colors and improving fine motor skills with this Color Sorting Mitten Activity for Toddler, Preschool, and Kindergarten age kids.
This colorful activity will be perfect for your toddler or preschooler. Combine it with simple counting activities and make it appeal-able to older kids too!
What you need to set this up:
- Different colors felt mittens(you can use craft foam or cardboard too, use THIS as a template)
- Corresponding color pompoms
- Plastic tweezers
I like to set up these activities on a tray: it helps to keep the activity tidy. In the class setup, you can have different tray activities on one table without it getting mixed up too much.
Color Sorting Mitten Activity
The child pick up a color pompom using the tweezer, then place it on the correct color mitten. Using tweezers requires using those ever important fine motor skills and hand eye coordination skills for placing it correctly. Identifying the correct color mitten works on visual discrimination skills.
Talk about the different colors: naming it with toddlers and preschoolers. Older children can count the pompoms and discover which mitten has the most, fewest etc. thus working on language development too!
Kindergartners and first graders can do simple simple sums, for example:
- How many blue and red pompoms do you see?
- How many pompoms altogether?
- How many pompoms except the green ones?
- and so on…..
Use a dice to turn this setup into a game: roll the dice and add that amount of pompoms. Divide the mittens between kids. Each one gets a chance to roll the dice. See who has a mitten full of pompoms first!
Also come and see how we used these mittens for upper and lower case matching HERE.
Learning Color Names
- Learn color names with this cute craft with our Free Printable Crayon Box Template
- Color Worksheets for young learners
- Free Printable Color Word Puzzles (in color or black and white)
- Learning Colors Printables – color the crayon and trace the color name
- Free The Colors of Fall Printable book
- Pumpkin Color Words Printable
- Fall Color Name Sticker Activity Sheets
- Color Matching Turkey Do a Dot Printable
- Learning Colors Fall Games for Kids
- Free Preschool Turkey Coloring Pages
Color Sorting Printables
- Kite Matching Printable – Learning Colors for Toddlers Games
- FREE Printable Color Puzzles
- Color Soring Printable or these Farm Free Color Sorting Printable Mats
- Pompom & Craft Stick “Pencil” color matching activities for preschoolers
- Learning Colors Pom Pom Sorting Activity
- Dinosaur Color Matching Activity with free printable
- Spring Soring Activity -free printable colored eggs into baskets
- Color Matching Easter Activities for Kindergarten
- Umbrella Craft Preschool – Color matching Fruit Loops
- I know my colors Easter Worksheets pdf
- Do-a-Dot Color Word Recognition Worksheets
Learning Colors Activity
- Fidget Color Game for Kids
- Free printable color matching worksheets
- Color Scavenger Hunt printable
- Sandcastle color matching activity
- Mitten Matching Games Online
- Color Sorting Penguin Matching Game
- My Color Book Printable
- Free Mouse Paint Printables for kids to learn their colors
- Color Free Printable Mini Books pdf for Kids
- Color Matching, Free Printable Goodnight Gorilla Activities
- Fruit Loop Sorting Mat
- Super cute Color Flashcards
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Chameleon Learning Colors Worksheets
- Craft Template Octopus Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Free Octopus Printables – color matching activity
- Pearl Free Color Matching Printables
- Summer Seashell Summer Playdough Mats
- Free Printable Color Matching Worksheet
- Fruit Loop rainbow printable template
- Free printable puzzles – color activities for preschool printable
- Learning Colors preschool painting worksheets
- Color Lock and Key Matching Game
- Christmas Color Games for Toddlers
- Pirate Colors Book Printable
- Learning Colors Ice Cream activity
- 40 Colour Recognition Activities
Color Activities for Kids
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime Activity for Kids
- Frozen rainbow science experiment preschool
- Yarn Wrapped Rainbow Craft for Kids
- Paper Plate Rainbow Craft for Preschoolers
- Rainbow in a Jar Density Experiments
- Easy Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft for Spring
- Free Connect the Dot Rainbow Printable for Preschoolers
- Hands-on Rainbow Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Rainbow Playdough Shape Mat
- Lots of fun ideas in this Rainbow Preschool Theme
- See all of our color activities for kids
Rainbow Activities for Kids
- Simple, Beautiful Capillary Action Experiment
- Rainbow Painting with Cars Activity
- Homemade, Edible sand for toddlers
- How to Grow Rainbow Crystals EASILY – rainbow activities for 1st grade
- Colorful Jelly Bean Science Experiment
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- Rainbow Toast makes a yummy snack!
- Colorful Polymer Experiments at Home
- Pretty Oil and Water Experiment Worksheet