Materials Needed to Play Firefly Catch:
- Instructions and spinner (included)
- Printable jar for each player (included)
- Printable firefly cards, cut apart (included)
- Paper clip and paper fastener (or pencil) to assemble the spinner
Counting, Adding, Subtracting Firefly Math Game
The object of this game is to be the first to "catch" ten fireflies.
To do so, players take turns spinning:
- If they land on a picture of fireflies, they can add that many to their jar.
- If they land on a space that says, "___ flew away," they subtract that many from their jar.
- And if they land on "The top came off!" then, uh-oh! They remove all the fireflies from their jar because they all got away!
The first player to catch exactly ten fireflies wins. This means that if they have 8 already and spin a 3, they can't do anything and play moves to the next player.
This game is a wonderful way for kids of multiple ages to explore math together. Preschoolers can practice counting, while older kids can practice adding and subtracting (have them find their total as they go by saying things like, "You have 6, but 2 flew away. How many will you have now?").
This can also be a great way for kids to practice recognizing the number bonds of ten. Ask questions such as, "How many do you need now to make ten?" or, "If you have 6 right now, what are some different combinations you could spin to reach ten?"
If you have older ones, encourage them to use their mental math skills rather than re-counting their fireflies after each turn!
If you enjoy this game and like to combine math with reading, you may also enjoy this game to play along with the book, Ten Apples Up On Top by Dr. Seuss!
No matter the ages of your kids, I hope you take some time to enjoy math together through play; it's one of the best ways to learn!
Math Activities for Kids
- Addition Mini Book (Adding 0-12)
- Apple Number Bonds Activity
- Blueberry Muffin Math
- Candy Corn Number Puzzles
- Christmas Dot-to-Dot
- Deck of Cards: Subtraction
- Doggy Addition File Folder Game
- Flower Number Bonds Activity
- Gumball Math: Addition & Subtraction
- Hoppy Frog Math (basic addition 1-10)
- House Fact Families
- Kindergarten Mitten Match
- Kindergarten Number Practice 1-20
- Mazes: Skip Counting by 2s-10s
- Money Mini Book
- Place Value PB & J
- Safari Count to 30 Game
- Solve & Stamp Math Worksheets (addition / subtraction)
- Spring Bird Addition File Folder Game
- Valentines Day Candy Box Math
Download Firefly Math GameBefore you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Bethany is the mom behind the blog, Math Geek Mama, a website dedicated to making math fun and engaging, while building a strong conceptual understanding of mathematics. When she's not playing with numbers, she is exploring with her four little ones, drinking way too much coffee, or soaking up the chaos of everyday life. Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.