Making practicing addition to make 10 fun and easy for prek, kindergarten, and first grade kids to grasp with these free printable ten frames worksheets.
Making 10 is an important skill that children in kindergarten and first grade are asked to learn and then memorize. And there are many ways children can focus on learning them.
And today we will be focusing on ten frames.
Ten frames are great for visual learners. Researchers such as Van de Walle and Bobis developed this concept to help children develop number sense especially with the reference of tens. As children see dots on ten frames it helps them begin to visualize the value of the number and its relationship to 10. This is why teaching children to add to 10 using 10 frames is very helpful.
For example, once a child recognizes what seven looks like on a ten frame, they can easily see that there are three empty spaces. Now it is easy for them to notice that 3 and 7 together make 10.
Now, all we have to do is introduce them to equations, and help our littles one be able to write out 7 + 3 = 10. It is a fun, and hands-on way to teach adding to 10.
Making 10 Ten Frames
Prep – Work
There is almost no prep-work for this printable.
- First, print off enough pages for each of your students.
- Next, grab some Do – A- Dot markers.
- And you are ready to go!
How to Use Making 10 Do-A-Dot Sheets
There are two variations of Making Ten Do-a Dot sheets:
The first variation has dots already on the ten frames. The children then use their Do -A – Dot to fill in all the rest of the ten frame and then create an equation.
In this example, there were already 3 dots. The child completed the ten frame by making 7 dots. Now they can easily see that the 3 + 7 = 10 and can write the equation in the blanks.
In this variation, only the equation is provided. Children use two colors of Do- A – Dot markers to fill in the ten frames so that represents the equation.
In this example, the equation is 6 + 4 = 10. The child used yellow to make six dots, and purple to make four dots. Now they have modeled 6 + 4 = 10.
I hope these printables help your children learn and begin to memorize the number the make 10.
Learning all the different combos to make 10 is important….and I hope these fun dot pages make it fun for your child!
- Hundreds Battleship Game
- Addition Mini Book (Adding 0-12)
- Apple Number Bonds Activity
- Cootie Catcher Math Game
- Deck of Cards: Addition
- Doggy Addition File Folder Game
- Firefly Catch Game (addition/subtraction)
- Ladybug Addition Game
- Flower Number Bonds Activity
- Gumball Math: Addition & Subtraction
- Safari Count to 30 Game
- Solve & Stamp Math Worksheets (addition / subtraction)
- Spring Bird Addition File Folder Game
Download Making 10 Ten Frames
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.