Ready to be the coolest parent ever? Try letter rolling! You will amaze your kids with this fun, educational alphabet activity for preschoolers, toddlers, and kindergartners while playing with playdough.
Learning the alphabet is a fundamental part of every child’s education. The alphabet provides the necessary building blocks for reading and writing and can be taught many ways! To make learning more effective (and fun!) try coupling the alphabet with an activity such as playdough! Playdough is a great fine motor workout. It encourages creativity too. This diy alphabet stamp is a fantastic learning experience for your little one.
Alphabet stamping is the perfect, hands-on educations activity for toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and first grade students. So whether you are a parent, teacher, daycare, homeschooler, nanny, or grandparent you will love trying this alphabet activity for kids.
To make an alphabet stamp you will need:
- Paper rolls (also known as tp rolls, toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, cardboard tubes, etc)
- Hot glue gun with refills (if you don’t have one they are only $15 and super handy for lots of projects big and small!)
- Rolling pin (optional)
You can use store bought or homemade dough for this play recipe. We like to use our amazing kool aid playdough , ice cream edible playdough, super soft 2 ingredient playdough, or this 3 ingredient salt dough in this activity. Either dough will work for this activity and each share benefits.
Alphabet Activity for Preschoolers
To begin making your homemade stamp, make sure you have removed all the paper from the roll. Use your hot glue to carefully create letters on the paper roll. (it is simple to use, but gets super hot, so follow manufacturers guidelines for safety)
***You will need to create the alphabet from right to left. The letters will need to be backwards. ***
This is to ensure the alphabet rolls on the dough correctly. Space the letters about half an inch apart. If you are using a toilet paper roll, you will need two rolls to complete the alphabet. Allow the glue to dry. Remove any glue strings from roll.
Alphabet Activity for Toddlers
Once the glue dries, you can have your child roll the dough flat with a rolling pin. Once the dough is flat practice rolling the stamp over the dough, beginning at the top and working your way down the roll. Have your child run their fingers over the letters in the dough or sprinkle on flour to create a fun alphabet letter reveal! As the flour sinks into the grooves of the dough, the letters become more apparent! It is quite fun!
Free Playdough Mats
Make learning fun with free printable playdough printables that will help kids will strengthen their motor skills by molding playdough.
- Human Body for Kids Playdough Mats
- Birthday Candles Counting Playdough Mats
- Thr Words Playdough Mats
- Shape Playdough Mats
- Christmas Playdough Mats
- Transportation Playdough Cards
- Alphabet Playdough Ideas from A to Z
- Count to 10 Spider Playdough Mats
- Instruments for Kids Free Playdough Mats
- See all our playdough mats
Here are our top preschool worksheets posts based on pageviews to get you started. The hardest part is figuring out which free preschool worksheets age 3-4 you will use first?
- A to Z Letter Find. Each letter worksheet has a different theme. These alphabet worksheets help kids practice ltter recognition of upper and lowercase letters.
- Alphabet Printable Hats. Preschool age students will have fun making a letter of the week crown that features the letter and images that start with the same beginning sound. You will love the ease of these printable alphabet craft!
- Sight Word Candyland. Grab the printable cards to turn any Candy land game into a fun way for kids to practice dolch sight words.
- 500+ Free Coloring Pages – These coloring sheets help children strengthen fine motor skills they will need for future writing. Our huge variety is arranged by theme and month of the year for ease of use.
- Solar System Worksheets for Kids. Learn about the solar system, stars, the sun, planets, and more with these cute printable worksheets for young learners.
- Dinosaur Printables Pack. Preschoolers will have fun practicing preschool math, tracing letters, finishing patterns with cut and paste worksheets, and so much more with these fun dinosaur themed worksheets.
- Printable Alphabet Crafts for Preschoolers. Kids will have fun learning their letters with these uppercase alphabet crafts to print, cut, and paste.
- Alphabet Coloring Pages – These adorable capital letter coloring sheets are shaped like the capital letter, contain clipart to help prek work on phonemic awareness, and make an alphabet book of their own.
- More preschool activities