Make learning homonyms FUN with Hamburger Homonyms! This homonyms activities teaches first grade and 2nd grade students about words that have the same spelling or pronounciations, but different meanings. Start with the cute hamburger puzzles as simple, no prep homonyms exercises and then use the homonym worksheets to reinforce the activity. Simply print pdf file with homonyms worksheets and you are ready to play and learn!
Homonyms grade 1
Teach homonyms for kids with this fun homonyms activity for grade 1, grade 2, and ESL students. They will love learning about and practicing homonyms with these fun Homonyms Hamburgers puzzle cards. ESL kids will especially love these as they include visual cards to help them identify the ‘meaning’ of each homonym word on the card. Kids will understand that even though two words sound the same, their meanings are completely different. Then complete the homonym worksheets filled with homonym exercises. These homonym activities are fun for at home, in the classroom or a supplement to your homeschool curriculum.
- A4 paper
- Coloring crayons or dry erase markers if you choose to laminate the activity
- Scissors (to cut and separate the cards)
Print as many sets as you need for the number of groups in your class. If you are using these in a center, it’s a great idea if you have an extra set just in case you want another group to get started on the activity. There are 8 puzzle sets (16 homonym word cards) in total and a recording sheet.
Homonyms worksheets with pictures
Need to introduce homonyms to your first grade kiddos? Want to include a fun theme that kids can easily identify with? Need to grab their attention and engage them? These cards are burger themed cards. Every child LOVES burgers! Engage them by having them complete these fun homonym puzzle cards.
After you’ve laminated the cards, cut and separate them. Have a set for each group along with their recording sheets. The kids will begin to build the ‘burger homonym cards’ then identify the images and write the words on their homonyms worksheets. They continue to do this until all the words have been matched. It’s a good idea to write the words on the board before beginning the activity, so that the kids are familiar for what they are looking for. This will also help ELL kids identify the images and link them to their words.
The homonyms for kids included in this activity are:
- bat / bat (animal and wooden one used for baseball)
- mouse / mouse (animal and one that controls a computer)
- bark / bark (tree bark and dog barking)
- chest / chest (treasure chest or part of the body)
- watch / watch (item that tells time or action of watching something)
- ship / ship (vessile in the ocean or to mail a package)
- wave / wave (ocean wave or action of saying hellow)
Looking for more free printable activities for second graders? You will love these activities:
- LOTS of Free 2nd Grade Worksheets
- Crab Contractions Activity
- 2nd Grade Crossword Puzzles to work on spelling words
- Grab the 2nd grade reading list or check out read alouds for 2nd grade
- Bandaid Contraction Games
- Minion Contraction Games
- Bingo Contraction Games
- Dominoes Contraction Games
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worksheets
- BINGO Digraph Game
- Hamburger Homynm Puzzles
- EPIC Library Scavenger Hunt for learning about different genres of books, book catalog, and so much more
- Dictionary Detective Worksheets and free printable cases for kids
- Pizza Book Report Templates
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Place Value Games 2nd Grade
- Super CUTE, Free Skip Counting Charts – 1s-15s
- Spring Double Digit Addition Game
- NO PREP, Telling Time Worksheets pdf
- Free Clock Mazes – Telling Time Games
- Counting Coins Games – Clip Cards
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- 2nd Grade Math Worksheets to play Mad Minute
2nd Grade Worksheets
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Animals and Hibernation Worksheet
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Zoo Field Trip Worksheets
- Free Printable Animal Report Template
- Cut and Paste Animal Classification Worksheet
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets or see all our life cycle worksheets
- Free Habitat Game for 2nd Grade
- Color Changing Flowers Science Experiment
- Lots of Printables and activities to learn about Countries for Kids
- We have almost 50 individual country studies for kids like this Colombia for Kids
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- FREE Printable World Map for Kids
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Homonyms worksheets pdf
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.