Ready to dive into multiplication for kids? This free printable introduction to multiplication activity is a great way to teach 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade the concept and build a solid foundation for future math. Simply print pdf file with multiplication intro and you are ready to have math fun with a multiplication activity.
Introduction to multiplication
Do your kids struggle with understanding multiplication? If you’re able to build a solid foundation, multiplication doesn’t have to be a struggle. Kids as young as first grade can be introduced to the concept in fun, hands-on ways, preparing them for learning and memorizing facts later. This free Multiplication Printables is a fun, hands-On Introduction to Multiplication introduces adding equal groups to prepare kids for mastering multiplication.
Equal groups multiplication
One way that math is learned and mastered is when kids are able to form connections. This could be connections to themselves, the real world, or other math they know. By connecting something knew to something known, they are deepening their comprehension.
Before jumping into multiplication vocabulary, I suggest starting with something familiar and building on it: repeated addition. After reviewing repeated addition with groups of equal parts, show the connection to multiplication. That’s the goal of this simple hands-on multiplication activity.
While this is intended for first or second grade kids just being introduced to multiplication, you can certainly use this to get back to basics with older kids who are struggling.
Equal groups multiplication activities
This Hands-On Introduction to Multiplication does require a little prep before you’re able to use it, but you can then store it to refer back to again and again.
First, I suggest you print and laminate all pages of the file. This includes 3 building mats and “equal groups” objects for kids to manipulate.
Multiplication equal groups
Then you’ll need to cut out the groups of objects. You could possibly let your kids help with this, if they’re good with scissors. 🙂
Then you’re ready to explore addition and multiplication with equal groups!
Equal groups multiplication worksheets
Use the first mat to simply review repeated addition. Kids can choose a collection of groups to place on their mat, then write an addition equation to find the total in the set. Be sure they are choosing equal groups, not mixing and matching. For example, they can choose as many groups as they like, as long as the same objects are in each. 6 groups of pencils or 3 groups of bugs, etc.
I intentionally used different pictures for each group, so you can easily say, “Don’t mix pencils and bugs, or footballs and fish.” So hopefully, they will easily see that each group has an equal number of objects.
Equal groups activities
Then as you work with them, talk about it as equal groups, not merely addition. Ask questions such as, “How many groups of footballs did you make?” or “How many bugs are in each group?” After they’ve had a chance to play with it and create their own problems, you can write addition sentences for them, and ask them to build it with pictures.
For example, you might write, “2+2+2+2=” and let them add 4 sets of apples on the mat and then solve the addition problem.
Multiplication 2nd grade
When they are comfortable, you can move onto the second mat. The second mat reinforces the equal groups concept and prepares them for writing multiplication sentences. Use this as the first, but this time write how many groups and how many objects are in each group. Then they are to find the total.
Once they can do this with no problems, you can move onto writing multiplication equations to solve. When they’re ready, you can use the third mat. The third mat again asks for the number of groups and number of objects in each, but also has them write it as a multiplication equation.
2nd grade multiplication
Once they see the connection between addition and multiplication, they will understand that multiplication is a faster. They will form a solid foundation so that when they see other representations of multiplication, they’ll know right away what operation to use to solve.
Multiplication Facts games
- Math Checkers – multiplication games printable pdf
- Lego free printable multiplication flash cards pdf
- Printable Multiplication Game math frog multiplication
- Apple Picking Multiplication Game
- Deck of Cards Free Multiplication Worksheets
- Don’t Get Caught Fishy Multiplication Games
- Interactive free multiplication worksheets
- Printable multiplication hopscotch activity
- 15 Multiplication Table
- Multiplication tic tac toe Game
- Science Multiplication Color by Number Worksheets
- Free Multiplication Wheel Printable
- Skip Counting Worksheets to 15s or these skip counting chart worksheets to 15
- Multiplication Puzzles to introduce grouping and multiplying to kids in a fun way
- Multi Digit multiplication spinner game
- Free Printable Multiplication 4th grade math worksheets
- Lots of multiplication games printables and activitites to make learning FUN
- Free math frog grade 4 is another fun way to practice multiplying with a frog theme
- Hands-on Introduction to Multiplication with Equal Groups Multiplication
- Quick and easy Multiplication Booklet PDF make practicing more fun than worksheets for multiplication
- Dot-to-Dot Skip Counting Multiplication Worksheets
- Cute Skip Counting Board Games
- Free Printable Skip Counting Mazes
- Skip Counting Posters 2s-15s
- Multiplication snowman multiplication puzzles
- Winter multiplication worksheets multiplication fact family worksheets
- Valentine’s day multiplication worksheets with self-checking multiplication lacing activity
- St patrick’s day math 4th grade – multiplication cards
- Spring Showers Multiplication Craft
- Easter Math activities Challenge – fun way to practice math
- Multiplication Worksheets, Math Posters, Multiplication Cards
- Candy Corn Math – multiplication puzzles
- Pumpkin Multiplication puzzles
- Multiplication Math Christmas tree math game for kids
- Printable Math Christmas worksheets to review addition, subtraction, multiplicationa, and division
- Knights Quest division games printable
- Home Run printable division games
- See all our Free Multiplication Printables!
Equal groups multiplication worksheets pdf
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Thank you so much for making this a free resource ❤️ it’s an absolutely brilliant idea and I can’t wait to use it with my girls 4 and 6.
These were perfect for my 8 year old daughter that DOES NOT enjoy math one bit but this little activity broke it down perfectly for her! Thanks so much, Beth! You are a blessing!