When you first begin to teaching multiplication, it’s important to focus on teaching for understanding rather than memorization. While it might be tempting to just jump to learning the facts so you can move on, that’s not going to be helpful in the long run. Instead, focus on the meaning of multiplication, multiple representations, and lots of visuals. These Interactive Multiplication Mats are a great way to begin that process! These math multiplication worksheets help students visualize what is happening when you multiply. These printable multiplication worksheets are perfect for 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th graders. Simply print multiplication worksheets pdf and you are ready to play and learn to multiply!
This hands on, free multiplication printable is a fun and handy way to teaching multiplication. Use these multiplication mats to help the concept of multiplying make sense with grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler looking for printable multiplication worksheets, you will love these handy, FREE, math multiplication worsheets for practicing. Laminate the math mats to use in your classroom as a math center, help your child get extra practice at home, or use them with your homeschool math curriculum as an easy way to learn multiplication.
Multiplication worksheets pdf
There are lots of ways to introduce your kids to multiplication and give them a solid foundation for learning. If you start by giving them a list of facts to memorize, it seems like nonsense to them. Consider, for example, if I asked you to remember these:
- A x C = Q
- B x T = Z
- S x U = R
You can look at that and immediately think, “What? That doesn’t make any sense!” But unfortunately, if we try to force kids to memorize multiplication facts, it looks just as nonsensical to them.
Multiplication is not a random set of facts or rules. It’s a logical mathematical computation that has a perfectly reasonable meaning. To help your kids see that, you can start by connecting it to something they know: repeated addition. Then you can show them helpful visuals such as arrays and area models, and how to solve problems with number lines or a hundreds chart.
The more exposure and visual models they have, the better developed their understanding will be, and then eventually “memorized facts” will come.
Printable multiplication worksheets
Before you begin using these Interactive Multiplication Mats, you will need to print all the mats and laminate them. You can then cut them out and grab some dry erase markers and you’re ready to begin.
Math Multiplication Worksheets
While it is certainly helpful to provide opportunities for kids to practice their multiplication facts, it does not mean that it needs to be drill, flash cards or timed tests.
Instead, find ways to provide “productive practice,” meaning there might be fewer problems to solve, but the challenge is greater and deeper.
There are lots of ways to involve kids in productive practice, and today I’m going to share a resource I created to help kids make sense of multiplication using arrays and area models.
How to Use the Multiplication Equation Mats:
There are 2 sets of multiplication mats in this set (20 mats altogether).
The first set includes a visual model and students have to then write a multiplication equation to match the given model. This is incredibly important, because we all need visuals to form connections in our brain and really learn and internalize mathematical ideas.
This will also help kids understand that a multiplication sentence isn’t meaningless. It’s a numerical representation of the picture.
Once kids are familiar and comfortable with this, they can work on the second set of multiplication mats: the build an equation mats.
Easy Way to Learn Multiplication
Easy way to teach multiplication
Multiplication Facts games
- Math Checkers – multiplication games printable pdf
- Lego free printable multiplication flash cards pdf
- Printable Multiplication Game math frog multiplication
- Apple Picking Multiplication Game
- Deck of Cards Free Multiplication Worksheets
- Don’t Get Caught Fishy Multiplication Games
- Interactive free multiplication worksheets
- Printable multiplication hopscotch activity
- 15 Multiplication Table
- Multiplication tic tac toe Game
- Science Multiplication Color by Number Worksheets
- Free Multiplication Wheel Printable
- Skip Counting Worksheets to 15s or these skip counting chart worksheets to 15
- Multiplication Puzzles to introduce grouping and multiplying to kids in a fun way
- Multi Digit multiplication spinner game
- Free Printable Multiplication 4th grade math worksheets
- Lots of multiplication games printables and activitites to make learning FUN
- Free math frog grade 4 is another fun way to practice multiplying with a frog theme
- Hands-on Introduction to Multiplication with Equal Groups Multiplication
- Quick and easy Multiplication Booklet PDF make practicing more fun than worksheets for multiplication
- Dot-to-Dot Skip Counting Multiplication Worksheets
- Cute Skip Counting Board Games
- Free Printable Skip Counting Mazes
- Skip Counting Posters 2s-15s
- Multiplication snowman multiplication puzzles
- Winter multiplication worksheets multiplication fact family worksheets
- Valentine’s day multiplication worksheets with self-checking multiplication lacing activity
- St patrick’s day math 4th grade – multiplication cards
- Spring Showers Multiplication Craft
- Easter Math activities Challenge – fun way to practice math
- Multiplication Worksheets, Math Posters, Multiplication Cards
- Candy Corn Math – multiplication puzzles
- Pumpkin Multiplication puzzles
- Multiplication Math Christmas tree math game for kids
- Printable Math Christmas worksheets to review addition, subtraction, multiplicationa, and division
- Knights Quest division games printable
- Home Run printable division games
- See all our Free Multiplication Printables!
Multiplication for Beginners Worksheets
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.