If you are looking for a fun valentine’s day math activities, you will love this valentines day math that helps kids practice sorting prime and composite numbers. In this prime numbers activity, grade 3 and grade 4 students will use the free printable heart numbers and sorting mats to practice sorting numbers.
Valentines Day Math
Looking for a fun math activity for your 3rd and 4th graders? This prime and composite number sorting activity is perfect to practice those tricky math skills. The printable is valentine themed, making it perfect for a valentine themed unit activity. Practice the concept of factors and multiplication with your 3rd and 4th graders using this fun and hands-on printable. Teaching multiplication is tricky and can be confusing so make learning it fun with this hands-on sorting activity printable.
Prime numbers for kids
What are Factors?
When learners first begin learning multiplication and division, they start understanding the concept of factors. A factor is the number which is multiplied by another whole number to give a product. For e.g. 4×3 gives 12, and in this case 3 and 4 are the factors of 12. Once learners are familiar with the concept of factors they can then be introduced to the concept of prime and composite numbers.
Prime Numbers and Composite numbers
A prime number is a number greater than 1 which only has 2 factors, 1 and itself. That means it is not divisible by any other number apart from these two numbers. Some examples include 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, etc.
A composite number is a positive integer that can be formed by multiplying two smaller positive integers. It has at least 3 factors (including one and the number itself). Examples of composite numbers included 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, etc.
Why are prime and composite numbers important?
Math is built on numbers and understanding numbers is the very foundation of math. When factorizing numbers it can be seen that even the composite numbers in the number can be further factorized into prime numbers. This makes prime numbers the basic building blocks of numbers. Numbers can be formed by endlessly multiplying prime numbers over and over again. This helps to further strengthen understanding of the number sense in numbers and can also help to solve puzzles and problems in maths.
Sorting Prime and Composite Numbers Printable
This printable uses hearts for sorting which makes this activity perfect for a Valentine’s Day math activity. Prepping this printable is very simple.
- Simply print out the pages and laminate if desired. Cut apart the pages to create the sorting number cards.
- Present the learners with the two sorting mats.
Learners will pick up each number card and determine if the number is prime or composite based on their understanding of the factors. This should be explained to the students prior to starting on the sorting activity. Learners will place the numbers onto the correct sorting mats.
The printable includes all the prime numbers from 1-100 and some of the composite numbers within 1-100. If the learner is just starting to get introduced to the concept of prime and composite numbers start off with a few numbers, since it can tire out the learner easily.
Learners can also record down the numbers within each category once they are done sorting if they wish to record their work.
Valentines Day Alphabet
- Valentines Day Activities for Kindergarten – students will have fun getting valentines ready to “mail” while matching upper and lowercase letters while working on phonemic awareness and beginning sounds.
- Cute Find the Letter Valentine’s Day Worksheets with alphabet candy in the cookie jars
- ABC Hole Punch Valentines activities for kindergarten – kids will strengthen hand muscles while working on letter recognition
- H is for Heart Worksheets – practie tracing and writting the letter h.
- ABC Valentine Worksheets for Preschool and kindergarten – kids will have fun learning new vocabulary and practicing tracing upper and lowercase letters as they make their very own alphabet book.
- Alphabet Valentine Preschool Worksheets – with a free pritnable alphabet worksheet for each letter from A to Z, help kids work on letter recognition while decorating these heart cookies (pictured above)
- Valentines Alphabet game – kids will have fun matching upper and lowercase letter heart puzzles
- Grab some converstion hearst and our printable alphabet pages for a fun, hands-on Valentines Day activities for preschoolers
Valentines Day Math
- Valentines Day Worksheets with Snap Cubes – with two levels of difficulty these cards help kids practice using logic and spatial reasoning
- Free Snap Cubes Template cards for valenties day
- Lock and Key valentines activities for kids – kids will have fun working on color recognition with this fun, Valentine’s Day matching game
- Valentine matching game printable – fun game to help kids work on number sense
- Count to 20 valentine math activities for preschoolers Clip Cards- kids will have fun practicing counting using a ten frame with this fun math activity for prek / kindergartners
- Chocolate Shape Preschool valentine games – kids will have fun practicing forming shapes with these chocolate shape playdough mats.
- Count to 10 Valentine math activities for preschoolers – young learners will have practicing counting sprinkles and matching the puzzles
- Super cute Valentine Roll and Cover Printable for preschoolers
- Color by Hundreds Chart Happy valentine’s day mouse activities
- Valentines Day Math – fun heart multiplication activity to practicing multiplying by 2s-12s with a self-checking activity for February
- Count and Trace Valentine’s Day Counting Worksheets with conversation hearts
- Valentines Day Math Clip Cards – practice counting numbers 11-20 with these cute, low prep clip cards
- Printable Valentines Day Counting Cards – these cute Valentines Day Counting Cards are great for young learners
- Free Valentines Day Math Activities with conversation hearts – includes free printables to work on fractions, graphing, and more!
- Valentines Day – Greather Than Activity using valentines day candy!
- Practice counting to 20 and tracing numbers as you prepare the mail in this February activities for preschoolers
Valentines Day Activities
- Have a blast with this outrageously fun Oobleck valentines day activitiies for preschoolers or this red valentines day oobleck version
- Grab this Free Valentines Day Printables with Stem challenges using Lego bricks
- Shimmery pink Slime Valentines recipe kids will love!
- Grab some pretty straw for this Valentine STEM activities
- Find lots of fun February Activities for kids here!
- EPIC Purple Slime Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Red Hot Valentines Slime recipe for kids
Valentines Day Crafts & Activities
- 30 Fabulous February Crafts for kids of all ages
- Valentines Day Crafts for Kids – even more unique and creative heart crafts for kids
- Beautiful Valentines Art Projects – Matisse Style heart craft for kids
- 30 February Crafts for Kids – so many fun, clever crafts to fill the whole month of February
- Fingerprint Heart Tree is such a cute Valentine art and craft ideas for preschoolers
- Bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft is cute and practical too
- Valentine Cookie Bath for Kids
- Heart Sticker Valentine projects for toddlers – super cute and precious Valentines Day craft for kids
- Learn about famous artists with this beautiful Matisse Valentines Art Project
- 26 Valentines Day Projects for Kids to make with their hands
- 21 Conversation Heart Crafts for Kids – kids will have fun crafting with this traditional valentine candy
- Valentines Day Countdown Craft for kids
- H is for heart worksheeet and simple hand art craft
- Heart Mobile Valentine’s day craft ideas – super cute and simple craft for February
- Simple Salt Painting Valentines Day activities for preschoolers with free templates
Multiplication Facts games
- Math Checkers – Multiplication Games Printable
- Lego Printable Multiplication Flashcards
- Leapfrog Printable Multiplication Game
- Apple Picking Multiplication Game
- Hands-on Multiplication Puzzles are a fun way to learn to multiply
- Deck of Cards Free Printable Multiplication Worksheets
- Don’t Get Caught Fishy Printable Multiplication Game
- Interactive Multiplication Games
- Hopscotch Multiplication Activity
- Spin and Multiply Multi Digit Multiplication Games
- Free Printable Multiplication worksheets grade 4
- Lots of multiplication games printables and activitites to make learning FUN
- Frog Multiplication Worksheets Grade 3 is another fun way to practice multiplying with a frog theme
- Hands-on Introduction to Multiplication with Equal Groups Multiplication
- Quick and easy Multiplication Booklet PDF make practicing more fun than worksheets for multiplication
- Snowman Math multiplication puzzles
- Winter Math multiplication fact family worksheets
- Valentines Day Math with self-checking multiplication lacing activity
- St Patricks Day Math – multiplication cards
- Spring Showers Multiplication Craft
- Easter Math Challenge – fun way to practice math
- Color by Code Worksheets, Multiplication Cards, Learning Multiplication Printables
- Candy Corn Math – multiplication puzzles
- Pumpkin Multiplication puzzles
- Christmas Multiplication math game for kids
- Knights Quest Division Math Game
- Home Run Division Math Game
- See all our Free Multiplication Printables!
- Teaching Multiplication Arrays Puzzle Game. Multiplication Repeated Addition Booklets. NO PREP Multiplication Mazes.
- Printable Christmas Math Worksheets to review addition, subtraction, multiplicationa, and division
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!