Help kids learn about the human body and their five senses with this easy, eye science experiments exploring vision! Kids of all ages from preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade students will have fun trying this amazing eye experiments. Prepare to be amazed with this simple vision experiments.
Eye Science Experiments
Children will have fun learning about how their eyes work with this easy science project exploring their sense of sight! This Eye Science Experiments is such a fun addition to a lesson on my body for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students. Plus you will appreciate this human body activity only uses simple materials you already have at home!
When our eye sees something, it sends a message to the brain to make sense of the image. The brain keeps that image for about 1/10 to 1/30th of a second. That doesn’t seem like very long, but it makes a big difference in how we process the world around us. If our brains didn’t keep images, we would see darkness every time we blink. Because our brains do keep the image, even for a very short time, we don’t even notice a disruption in or vision.
Movies and TVs take advantage of the way our vision works. When we go to the movies, the film shows a new frame every 1/24th of a second. Even though there are disruptions in the image, our brains retain the image of each frame until the next frame is shown. This gives us the illusion of continuous, smooth motion.
Sense of sight experiments
We can create an experiment of our own that helps to show how the brain keeps images and how it affects the way we see the world around us. You will just need to collect a few items from around the house.
- card stock or this card board
- pencil or pen
- hole punch
Start the eye experiments by drawing or trace a circle on the card stock approximately 4 inches in diameter.
Cut the circle out with the scissors. Then, draw a fish bowl on one side of the circle and a fish on the opposite side.
Eye experiments for kids
Cut 2 lengths of string 24 inches long. Thread a string through the holes on each side of the circle. Next, hold the strings and twirl the circle around so that the strings are twisted together on each side of the circle. One person can do this, but sometimes it’s easier to have one person hold the strings and another person twirl the circle. Start with 25 or 30 twists.
Pull the twisted strings straight out to the sides so that the circle spins. What do you see? If you have twisted the strings tight enough, you should see the fish appear to be in the bowl. If you do not see this, try twisting your string more.
Human eye science project
When the circle spins around, the eye sees both images. The brain retains the first image for a fraction of a second. This is long enough for the eye to see the second image. This causes the two images to overlap in the brain and the fish appears to be in the bowl.
Did you see the images overlap? If not, twist the strings tighter so that they will spin faster when you pull the strings. How many twists did it take?
The retaining of images in the brain makes this experiment work just like movie film works to make individual frames appear to be continuous motion. It’s just one of the many wonders of our human vision!
Human Body for Kids
- Grab this free printable 5 senses preschool printables to explore the senses of sight, taste, sound, smell, and touch
- Human Body human body playdough mats – lots of choices to learn about various systems of the body including simple for preschoolers, skeletal system, organs, muscles, nerves, and more!
- Teach kids about human cells for kids with hands on activities, free printable reader, human cell worksheets, and more!
- Human Body Printables makes a printable book that teaches students all about their heart, brain, muscles, cells, skin, bones, lungs, stomach, intestines, and bladder
- 4 EPIC Skeletal System Project ideas for kids – using things like pasta, life saver gummies, lego, and more you can learn about the human body in a fun memorable way
- Free Skeletal System Worksheets for Kids – everything you need to teach kids about their bodies!
- Kids will love learning about the ear with this model of ear for school project
Human Body Projects
- Parts of the Brain for Kids Activity with Playdough Brain Model & Free Brain Worksheets for Kids
- Lungs for Kids Working Model and lesson plan
- The Digestive System for Kids Experiment
- Blood for Kids – Actiivty to learn about the Human Body
- Amazing 5 Senses for kids lesson to explore with hands on activities, videos, books, and more!
- Try this Jelly Bean sense of taste activities for preschool experiment.
- How do Lungs Work Human Body Project for Kids
Human Body Experiments
- Human Heart for Kids: 2 Fun Heart Models plus Worksheets
- Kids will be amazed by these eye science experiments
- Huge pack of 5 Senses Worksheets to explore the senses and sneak in some math and literacy activities too
- How do Hands Work – Human Body Muscles for Kids Project
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project
- How Long are the Intestines for Kids – Digestive System Experiment
- Bending Bones – Human Body Experiment Removing Calcium for Kids
- How do Muscles Work – Simply Skeletal Muscle Model that works
- See all of our hands-on ideas to make learning about the human body for kids FUN and more creative printable science experiments for all ages
Fun Science Experiments
Here are some of our most popular lessons and activities or see all our science for kids conveniently sorted!
- 30 Simple Machines for Kids Experiments
- Launch this experiment and record your findings with this Coke and mentos experiment worksheet
- Lots of FUN Solar System Project Ideas for kids
- Printable Solar System Worksheets (free) or planet worksheets for kindergarten
- Grab these free printable solar system coloring pages
- Simple pop rocks experiment for kids (with free worksheet)
- Stunning chromatography butterflies
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable body parts
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments – arranged by type of science
- Free Printable Human Body for Kids Playdough Mats
- Leak proof bag fun science experiments
- Older students can dive deeper with these free skeletal system worksheet pages
- Amazing Why do leaves change color experiment
- Learn about seasons with this cool free 4 seasons printables
- Animals and their Babies matching puzzles
- Take a closer look at animals with this free printable animal report for for kids
Science Exeriments for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- Weather Unit for prek-3rd graders filled with experiments, activities and weather worksheets
- Make it rain and write your observations in these cloud in a jar experiment worksheet
- Learn about our moon with these activities and moon worksheets for 1st grade
- Free Water Cycle Worksheets for kids
- Discover a world of geology with these rock worksheets for kids
- Free printable states of matter activity with clip cards
- Discover what lies below the surface with these free Layers of Earth Worksheets
- Make playdough earth layers with this super cool geology experiment for kids
- LOTS of year-round Science Experiments for Kids
- Kids will love this outrageously fun pipe clean constellations activity
- This look inside a volcano experiment for kids takes learning to a whole new level
- Chromatography Butterflies project for kids
- Learn about the kingdom Animalia with over 20 Zoo Scavenger Hunt free printables
- Harness the power of fruit with this simple Lemon Clock for kids
- Learn about famous female inventors with this read, color, and learn booklet for kids
- Easy Bernoulli’s principle experiment at home
- Amaze kids with this simple burning candle experiment with free worksheets
Easy Science Experiments
Explore our science projects based on all science for kids, types of free science lessons, or seasonal science experiments.
- Gross and so cool Digestive System Project for kids of all ages
- Amazing Rainbow in a Jar Experiment for Kids
- Epic Baking Soda and Vinegar Rocket Experiment
- Cool Milk and Vinegar Expeirment making plastic!
- Learn about your amazing brain with this activity and brain worksheets
- How do hands work project for kids
- Super cool and easy-to-make, working lego balloon car
- Plants for kids lesson
- Bouncy Naked Egg with FREE egg in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Explore magnets with these EPIC magnet experiments for kids
- Popsicle Stick Catapult for kids – simple STEM project
- Simple light bulb experiment (it actually lights up!)
- Easy-to-make balloon hoovercraft
- Bouncy Eggs and eggs in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Learn about density for kids with these simple balloon solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities
- Create your own super simple bot
- Beautiful, color changing capillary action experiment with flowers
- WOW your kids with how to make a Newton’s cradle project
- Heat-sensitive, Color Changing Slime is SO COOL!
Leave a Reply