This fun, hands-on lungs for kids lesson will help you make a working lungs model for kids using a plastic bottle and balloon. This human body for kids project is great for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th garde, and 7th grade students. We will show you how to make a lung model that will help children understand how this important organ works with a human body activity for kids!
Lungs for Kids
Whether you are studying the human bod for kids or just learning about your amazing lungs, this lungs model is such a fun, simple human body project for kids of all ages. In this lungs for kids activity, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, grade 6, and grade 7 students will be amazed that with a couple simple materials they can make a working lung that replicates how our amazing lungs work to hep us breathe! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these instructions for how to make lungs with a few common materials. We made this with my daughter as part of her Classical Conversations Challenge A anatomy class. Hands-on science projects just make things come alive for kids and make sense so much better.
All you need are a few common supplies you probably already have on hand to make your working lungs model for kids:
- empty, plastic water bottle
- packing tape
Lungs Model for Kids
First of all, make sure kids know where the lungs are in their bodies, what their important job is, and how they can protect and strengthen their lungs. We watched this simple demonstration to start learning about the lungs.
Then we read some books to dive into the topic a little further.
How to Make Lungs
I started by explaining how the lungs are a bag-like organ used for breathing and even talking. It brings oxygen in the air and then lets carbon dioxide out. We need oxygen for our body to work, without it we will die. At the bottom of the trachea (tube in your neck) there are two large tubes called the bronchi. One leads to the left lung while the other heads into the right lung. Each main stem then branches off into tubes, or bronchi, that get smaller and even smaller. Many people compare our lungs to a gree with the trachea being the stem and the brochi as the ever splitting, smaller and smaller branches ending with the tiniest tubes called bronchioles in each lung – you have about 30,000 of these that are the thickness of a strand of hair. At the end are air sacs called alveoli (about 600 million in your lungs) that fill with air without you even thinking about it! Ready to see our simplified lung model in action?
How to Make a Lung Model
Making a workign lung model is super simple! Plus lots of fun too! This project helps kids understand how lungs work, but only demonstate one lung – most everyone has two.
- Cut bottom off of the water bottle.
- From the mouth part, push balloon into water bottle, fold the balloon mouth part over the bottle part.
- Cover bottom with a large balloon that has the mouth piece cut off.
- Use packing tape to secure all edges.
Human Body Activities for Kids
To help kids see the working lung model in action, pull bottom balloon to make inside balloon inflate. Cool, right!
Human Body for Kids
- Grab this free printable 5 senses preschool printables to explore the senses of sight, taste, sound, smell, and touch
- Human Body human body playdough mats – lots of choices to learn about various systems of the body including simple for preschoolers, skeletal system, organs, muscles, nerves, and more!
- Teach kids about human cells for kids with hands on activities, free printable reader, human cell worksheets, and more!
- Human Body Printables makes a printable book that teaches students all about their heart, brain, muscles, cells, skin, bones, lungs, stomach, intestines, and bladder
- 4 EPIC Skeletal System Project ideas for kids – using things like pasta, life saver gummies, lego, and more you can learn about the human body in a fun memorable way
- Free Skeletal System Worksheets for Kids – everything you need to teach kids about their bodies!
- Kids will love learning about the ear with this model of ear for school project
- Parts of the Brain for Kids Activity with Playdough Brain Model & Free Brain Worksheets for Kids
- Lungs for Kids Working Model and lesson plan
- Human Heart for Kids: 2 Fun Heart Models plus Worksheets
- Blood for Kids – Actiivty to learn about the Human Body
- Amazing 5 Senses for kids lesson to explore with hands on activities, videos, books, and more!
- Try this Jelly Bean sense of taste activities for preschool experiment.
- Kids will be amazed by these eye science experiments
- Huge pack of 5 Senses Worksheets to explore the senses and sneak in some math and literacy activities too
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project
- See all of our hands-on ideas to make learning about the human body for kids FUN and more creative printable science experiments for all ages
Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on battery experiments
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Fun Water balloon experiment that explores density
- Easy Candy Water Displacement Experiment
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Easy Rubber Band Car
- Paint Stick Solar System Project Ideas
- Simple Bernoille Ping Pong Ball experiment
- Fun-to-Make Lego Balloon Car Project
- Popsicle Stick Catapult STEM Project for Kids
- EPIC Exploding Snowman Science Experiment for Winter
- Melting Christmas Science Experiments
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure experiments
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines for kids projects you will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering why do leaves change color for kids
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Amazing POP rocks experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- 19 Edible science experiments – which delicious project will you try first?
- HUGE Free Solar System for Kindergarten (coloring pages, hands on science projects, worksheets, and more!)
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun electricity experiment projects
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- Life Cycles for Kids (from penguin to sunflower and spider to turkey we have LOTS of life cycles to explore and learn about)
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Experiment Worksheets
- 4 Fun Skeletal System Project Ideas
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this food coloring flower experiment worksheet
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- EPIC Life-size Human Body Project w/ free printables!
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a Volcano Experiment for Kids
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Lego Electricity Science Experiments
- Marshmallow Shooters STEM Activity
- Find LOTS more EASY Printable Science Experiments for kids of all ages!