Although Dictionary Skills can be taught whenever you like, most kids learn to use a dictionary in 2nd grade. 3rd Grade students need continued practice to refine their newly learned skill.
Teach Kids How to Use a DictionaryThese worksheets will help homeschool students learn about dictionaries and how to use a dictionary. There are five teaching sheets that include lots of hands on practice as kids learn about
- entry words
- guide words
- word forms
FREE Dictionary Detectives Worksheets for KidsIn addition to the teaching worksheets for kids, there are also 8 half page detective sheets for kids to do on their own. They will become dictionary detectives and practice what they've learned about how a dictionary works. Second and Third Graders should be able to do these independently.
Although these worksheets can be used with any dictionary, I highly suggest Merriam-Webster’s Elementary Dictionary which is great for kids in 2nd – 6th grade. It is easy for kids to use, includes color pictures throughout, has larger print, and includes a lot. If you do happen to use this dictionary, the answer keys are included.
See Dictionary Detectives in Action on my You Tube Channel
You May Also be Interested In:
Download FREE Dictionary Detective Worksheets
- By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!