Although Dictionary Skills can be taught whenever you like, most kids learn to use a dictionary in 2nd grade. 3rd Grade students need continued practice to refine their newly learned skill.
Teach Kids How to Use a DictionaryThese worksheets will help homeschool students learn about dictionaries and how to use a dictionary. There are five teaching sheets that include lots of hands on practice as kids learn about
- entry words
- guide words
- word forms
Kids will practice what they've learned with these dictionary worksheets that help kids get hands on practice reviewing what they've just learned about entry words, syllables, guide words, word forms, definitions and more using a dictionary.
In addition to the teaching worksheets, there are also 8 half page detective sheets for kids to do on their own. They will become dictionary detectives and practice what they've learned about how a dictionary works. These are such a fun way to review and practice what you've learned with 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grace, 5th grade, and even 6th grade students.
Although these worksheets can be used with any dictionary, I highly suggest Merriam-Webster’s Elementary Dictionary which is great for kids in 2nd – 6th grade. It is easy for kids to use, includes color pictures throughout, has larger print, and includes a lot. If you do happen to use this dictionary, the answer keys are included.
See Dictionary Detectives in Action on my You Tube Channel
FUN, Free, Practical Learning Resources
- Reading Comprehension Bookmarks
- Alphabet-O (Alphabetizing Words Game)
- Sight Word Candyland
- Contraction Dominoes
- Sentence Pizza Parlor
- Bankable Spelling Words (spelling and counting money practice)
- Deck of Cards Multiplication
- Addition Tic Tac Toe
- Planets Mini Book
- State Coloring Sheets
Download FREE Dictionary Detective Worksheets
- By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!