Today we are sharing a beautiful tissue paper butterfly project for kids to make to celebrate the arrival of spring or summer break! This easy butterfly craft is such a fun butterfly craft idea to make with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders as it is super simple to make with stunning results! Download our free printable butterfly printable template to make this butterfly craft for kids.
Tissue paper butterfly
My kids love butterflies and have been spotting them around everywhere now that it’s warm outside. We recently went a nature walk looking for butterflies and other pollinators. We were surprised to see several different kinds of butterflies with different colors and designs. I love doing tissue paper crafts; there are so many ways to use it! This pretty tissue paper butterfly is a fun butterfly craft to make with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. This simple butterfly craft for preschoolers is sure to be a hit with kids. Plus this summer craft for preschool or spring craft for kids will brighten your windows with cheerful, happy, colorful butterflies!
Butterfly Printable Template
Butterfly craft for kids
All you need to make this butterfly craft are a few simple materials you probably already have on hand.
- butterfly printable template (outline I used or various templates at bottom of post)
- black crayon
- tissue paper in different colors
- school glue (and a bit of water)
- small bowl or plate
- paint brush
Print the butterfly template then cut out tissue paper in a few different shapes: rectangle, square, oval, circle, and triangle.
HINT: Stack the tissue paper to cut many shapes at a time.
Tissue paper butterfly craft
First, use a black crayon to make designs on your butterfly wings.
Easy butterfly craft
Next, spread some glue across the top of the butterfly
Begin to lay tissue paper on top of the glue to fill in the butterfly shape. Don’t worry if the tissue paper goes over the black lines you drew, they will be revealed later more in a later step.
Butterfly craft Ideas
Continue until the wings are deigned to your liking. It’s OK if the edges aren’t stuck down at this point, because that comes next.
Butterfly craft for preschoolers
After the wings are filled in, it is time to use the thinner glue in the bowl. Use a paint brush with the glue to smooth the tissue paper pieces pieces and edges down.
HINT: I also put some glue in a shallow bowl and added just a little bit of water to make it more spreadable for use with a paintbrush.
You’ll see that as you paint the watery glue over the tissue paper, the black lines that were drawn earlier are seen again and has a really neat effect.
Butterfly craft for toddlers
Let dry completely, and then cut the butterfly out.
Isn’t it pretty!?
Butterfly Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun butterfly activities, butterfly crafts, and butterfly printables to add to your day or butterfly theme? Try these:
- Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet Pack for kids
- Beautiful Butterfly Craft for Preschoolers with shapes
- Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and Observation Book
- Butterfly Suncatcher Craft
- Butterfly Math – addition mats for pre-k and kindergarteners
- Free Rhyming Activities – Butterfly Puzzles
- 29 Pretty Butterfly Crafts for Kids
- Butterfly Math – Missing Addend Activity for Kindergarten
- Addition Butterfly Math Puzzles
- B is for Butterfly activities for toddler and preschoolers
- Butterfly Subtraction for Kindergarten
- Pop-up Butterfly Craft
Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Simple Windsock Craft for kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Rainy Day Crafts for Kids
- EASY ink pad spring crafts for toddlers
- EDIBLE, Peeps Playdough Recipe
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- Make your own yummy milk Rainbow Toast
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Plant a Number Line to 10 Math activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Umbrella Handprint Craft
- Silly Grass Head Craft
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Rainbow Hand Art Projects for St Patricks Day
- Looking for more fun color activities for kids don’t miss these 37 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super clever, bubble wrap rain craft
- Wow! Over 100 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Stunning, Easy Stained Glass Art for Kids
- Kids will go nuts over this painting with cars rainbow project
- Amazing Bubble Painting process art project for kids
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- EASY Egg geode experiment for kids of all ages!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Have you tried making butter experiment
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- You’ve got to try this simple Color Changing Slime
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- Egg Drop Challenge with marshmallows!
- You’ve got to try this Lego Balloon Car
- Make a popsicle stick catapult
- Colorful Polymer Chemistry Experiment
- MUST try capillary action experiment
- Lego DIY Zipline for your backyard
- How to Make a Weather Vane the EASY way
- Pop Rocks Experiment kids will LOVE!
Looking for some fun, educational spring theme ideas to make learning fun this April and May? Check out these fun resources:
- Cute, free printable Flower Shape Craft for kids
- Flower Rhyming Words Worksheet
- Sunflower Alphabet Matching
- Flower Mazes – Free Printable Sight Word Worksheets
- Pretty Flower Name of Number Puzzles
- F is for Flower Handprint Craft
- Flower Parts of a plant flip book
- Count to 20 Spring Playdough Mats
- Rainbow Shape Playdough Mats
- Spring Do a Dot Printables
- Flower Letter Matching Printable
- Grow a Plant Sequencing Worksheets
- Fun Spring Flower SIght Word Game
- Spring Jelly Bean Egg One to One Correspondence Activities
- Spring Multiplication Math Craft
- Super cute Carrot Shape Playdough Mats for Spring
- Count the Bunny Number Flashcards
- Rainbow Color Matching Game
- Practice adding numbers with this free printable Spring Addition Matching Game
- Planting Carrots CVC Words Activity
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printables Ten Frame Math Activity
- Umbrella Color Sorting Activity with Fruit Loops
- Practice making shapes with these flower playdough mats
- Spring Flower Counting Games for Preschoolers
- Grab these cute Spring Printables Sudoku Puzzles for kids
- Seed Find the Letter Worksheets
- Umbrella ABC Matching Game
- Frog Alphabet Game Matching Printable
- Kite Beginning Sound Activities printable craft for spring
- Print and GO Spring Scavenger Hunt
- Spring Step by Step Drawings
- Practice reading with this Spring sight word cut and paste reader
- Worm Worksheets Pack
- Spring Telling Time Worksheets
- Digraphy Activity to improve reading and spelling skills with these spring puzzles
- Cute Blubird Soring Blends Activity for first and second graders.
- LOTS of fun PLANTS arts and crafts for preschool and kindergartners
Tissue paper butterfly template
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.