Fish birthday party ideas including an edible glass aquarium birthday cake, fish decorations and lots of fun games.
Fish Birthday Party
This year Minnie wanted a Fish Party. I love planning their party themes! It is a way I can show them how much I love them in a way that is meaningful to them. So I planned a fun party for family & friends.
Here are the invitations – fish of course! I used a brad to attach a circle behind the spins to give guests all the birthday details.
Fish Party Decorations
I hung different length blue & light blue streamers all over our family room. Then I hung inflatable 10” fish throughout so you felt like you were in the ocean. It was pretty cool. In our dinning room I also hung a net which I stuck a lobster, sea star, and shells in (I think that was my favorite part). And in the hallway I put two layers of streamers for the kids to go through when they ‘dove’ into the ocean. It was really cool!!!
Edible Aquarium Fish Party Cake
The cake is the centerpiece of most birthday parties, right? In my head I had a vision of how it would look…. so I started searching online to make it possible. I found a recipe to make edible glass (if anyone wants more information on this let me know), chocolate rocks, and then came up with my own way of putting it together & making it work. Here is what I used to make it come together.
The first day I had everything put together except for the edible glass (tastes like a lollipop). Then I tinted the back glass to make the fish look like they were swimming in water. I decided the sides came up too far and didn’t allow much light. In my original dream I pictured 4 sides of glass, but it made it hard to see the inside of the aquarium as clearly or blow out the candle.
I made two kinds of cake pops: Chocolate Chip Cookie and Strawberry – they were both AMAZING!! (Recipes & cake pop directions coming!) I loved the puffer fish, schooling red & yellow small fish, red crab, and many other colorful fish.
To we finally decided to break off the side pieces of glass to allow more light, but still get the effect. I put cardstock around the bottom to make the bottom lip of the aquarium – it said Happy Birthday! I am so pleased with how it turned out!! Check out how it looked from the back – isn’t that too cool?!?!
The birthday girl was mighty pleased =-) Her face & joy made it soooooo worth it!
Craft – The kids all made their own fish bowl to take home. It was simple and fun.
GAMES – Doesn’t this look inviting? There are 50 blue balloons inside the pool (don’t worry we scrubbed the pool thoroughly before we brought it indoors!) I envisioned a giant ball pit and this was the easiest and most cost effective way of doing it! We are playing lots of games centered around it!
We let the kids just play in the “ocean”,
Fish, Fish, SHARK – like duck duck goose but when a child shots SHARK every one jumps out of the ocean
Save the Fish – A fisherman comes and gets the inflatable fish out of the ocean. The kids go and ‘rescue’ the fish and put them back in the ocean (I was inspired for this activity from Finding Nemo)
The fish Picks a Friend –to the tune of The Farmer & The dell – make a circle around the pool and sing the fish picks a crab, the fish picks a crab, hi ho the dario the fish picks a crab. Then the crab gets to get in the pool with the fish and we sing “The crab picks an octopus, the crab picks an octopus,etc.
SHARK – The fish all hid. Then the shark went to find them and tried to swim away (back to the pool) before the shark got them
Read “The Pout Pout Fish” – Minnie’s favorite book & the reason she wanted a fish party
As watching the birthday girl open presents can be boring for other children we took 2 breaks and sang action songs: Head & Shoulders Knees and Toes and Hockey Pokey (putting our right foot in the pool =-)
I hid some surprises in some of the balloons (fish bouncy balls, stickers, google eye rings, and mini tootsie pops. At the end we gave each child (paired with an adult for safety) a stick to pop balloons and find surprises. It was FUN and helped with clean-up!!
I got these super cute fish in a bag to give to the guests – it’s actually soap!! Not only does it look ADORABLE, but it is just glycerin (no die, no perfumes!)
Make your child birthday (or half birthday) extra special with one of these:
- Free Printable Birthday Hats
- Let everyone give the birthday child a card with our free Printable Birthday Cards
- Ready to plan an epic birthday party your child will remember for a lifetime —> take a peak at our 20+ Birthday Party Ideas. From super hero, pirates, monsters inc, tinkerbell, pets, and more we have ideas for games, DIY decorations, cake decorating, and more! Looking for a fun way to practice counting and writing numbers; your child will love these Free birthday cake printable playdough mats
- 20+ Ways for How to Make a Birthday Special
Birthday Party Themes
- Despicable Me Party
- Dog Birthday Party
- Doc McStuffin Party
- Farm Birthday Party
- Fish Birthday Party
- Frozen Birthday Party
- Monsters Inc Party
- Pirate Party
- Princess Party
- Star Wars Birthday Party
- Science Party
- Super Hero Birthday Party
- Tangled Birthday Party
- Tinker Bell Birthday Party
Ocean Activities for Kids
Looking for more ocean activities for kids? You will love these clever, free resources and ideas:
- Ocean Color by Number Printable
- 50 Amazing Ocean Crafts for Kids
- Build an Ocean Scene with this fun Fractions Activity
- Simple Under the Sea Coloring Pages
- Pearl Color Matching Ganes
- Try this Watercolor and Crayon Ocean Craft
- Breeding Guppies – an outrageously FUN Fish Science Experiments
- Read and Dab Kindergarten Sight Word Worksheets pdf
- Ocean Animal Counting and Trace Do a Dot Printables
- Alphabet Go Fish Game
- Color Matching Octopus Activity for kids
- Cute Hands & Feet Lobster Craft
- Shell Letter Matching Ocean Activities for Preschoolers
- Sharks for Kids Reader
- Sea Turtles for Kids Reader
- Free Printable Whale Writing Prompts
- All About Fish Printable Reader
- Ocean Counting Clip Cards
- Cupcake Liner Octopus Craft
- O is for Ocean Weekly Theme for Prek / K
- Tons of ideas for a weeks worth of fun learning with an Ocean Theme
- Cute One Fish Two Fish Pdf
- Ocean Printable Multiplication Game
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- FREE Ocean Coloring Pages
- Cut and Paste Fish Craft
- Printable Crab Contraction Ocean Activity for Kids
- Kid favorite Goldfish Printable Counting Activity
- Goldfish Subtraction Games for Kindergarten
- Sand Volcano – EASY Summer Science Experiment for Kids
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- Crack the Code Worksheets with ocean themed pages
- Under the Sea Lego Challenge Printables
- 50+ pages of Ocean Worksheets for practicing math and litearcy with pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Sandcastle Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Hands-on Sandcastle Colour Matching Activities
- Sandcastle Letter tracing Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Count and Trace Numbers 1-10 Sandcastle Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Sandcastle Number Playdough Mats to count and trace
- Summer STEAM – Sandcastle engineering with tp rolls
- Ice Cream Sandcastle Summer Snack Idea
- Sand Bucket & Shovel Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Beach Summer Experiment with a Density Tower
- Free Beach Worksheets for Preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1
Don’t miss the other animal studies we’ve created!
- Discover All About Whales Worksheets pdf
- All About Pinnipeds – seals, sea lions, walrus life cycle, and more
- Learn About Herps – sea turtle worksheets, sea snakes, aquatic frogs, toads, salamander, and more!
- All About Fish, Sharks, and Rays
- Get to know Mollusks, Cephalopods, & Crustaceans for Kids (crabs, lobsters, octopus, bivalves, clams)
- All About Echinoderms and Cnidarians (Jellyfish, Sea Stars, Sand Dollars, Coral)
- Huge Ocean Animals for Kids Unit (250+ pages)
Plus don’t miss these popular posts from our sister sites:
- Shaped Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Lots of cute, themed Free Kindergarten Worksheets
- Bingo Dauber Printables
- Printable Lowercase letter alphabet crafts
- Printable Uppercase alphabet Letter Crafts
- Cute Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Letter Recognition Worksheets with do a do markers
- Lots of free ABC Printables for preschoolers
- Free Playdough Mats to work on shapes, numbers, colors, alphabet letters, and more!
- Uppercase Letter Tracing with animal alphabet mats
- Free Color Worksheets
- Simple, free alphabet worksheets