Whether you have a stack of broken crayons laying about, you snagged a cheap box of crayons in a back to school sale, or you just want to make a really pretty color art project for kids – this Melted Crayon Art is sure to WOW both you and your kids. It is really simple to create a stunning crayon artwork by melting crayons on a canvas!
Perhaps you are learning color words with your toddler, preschooler, pre k, or kindergartens and were looking for a fun crayon art project. Or maybe you happened upon this fun art project seeing pictures of our project or others. Either way this melted crayon art project is fun and easy to make. You have endless possibilities as to what it will look like! So grab a canvas in a size that fits your space and budget, a box of crayons, a hair dryer, and an oven mitt and you are ready to try this crayon art project!
I suggest starting by looking at pictures of projects that inspire you. There are lots of clever choices out there. We decided we wanted to make it look like fireworks of rainbow colors so we arranged our crayons by like colors. My homeschooled art students decided he didn’t like them straight across so we made a fun wavy pattern. We placed the crayons on canvas so we could get an idea of where they would look best.
Then I used my handy, dandy hot glue gun my hubby got me for my birthday for the first time. I was so nervous I was going to burn myself, but it was actually VERY easy and quick – I should have asked for one sooner!! Plus it only costs like $9. I find I use it for so many things now! But I digress.
You will want to carefully lift one crayon up at a time and put a line of glue on the crayon and then place it back in the spot you assigned it. Repeat until all the crayons are firmly in place.
crayon splatter art
Now grab your hairdryer . We found my low setting was not warm enough to melt the crayons. If you have young children (toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, first graders, 2nd graders) you will probably want to do this part as a parent. Older students can help. But I suggest having them wear oven mitts to protect their hand not only from the head of the hair dryer, but from any hot wax splatter that may occur. We kept our dryer a safe distance and contained our splatter to the canvas.
I feel like we crated a modern art masterpiece for kids!
Crayon Melting Art
You can see it is beginning to melt/drip. I found it worked best to hold it almost flat to get a section melty and then tilt it to allow the pools of melted wax to flow downward. This helped avoid some of the splatter. I would also advise newspaper or something underneath. (You can also do it in the oven. It is done in like 30 seconds at 250. Just use a glass or something to tilt it. I did this for a similar project I ‘ll share later… but the hair dryer was way more fun for this project!!)
Easy Art Project for Kids
Here is our finished work of art!! Isn’t it COOL!! We decided it looked the coolest upside down so the colors looked like they were bursting up from the crayons; kind of like fireworks. We had soooooo much fun making this!! Maybe grandparents will get something like this next year for Christmas =-)
Crafts Ideas for Kids
- Paper Roll Bunny Craft
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts
- These tin foil art projects are fun-to-make and so pretty!
- Folded Paper Elephant Craft Bookmark
- Painted Flower Craft Preschool
- Creative Pipe Cleaner Crafts kids will want to make
- Stunning Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft
- Bubble Wrap Painting Rain Craft
- Outrageously Cute Googly Eye Crafts
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Suncatcher Craft
- Star Wars Crafts that are from a galaxy far, far away
- Super cute Thing 1 and Thing 2 Craft
- Must-try Popsicle Stick Crafts
- Over 100 Fun Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super fun Spin Art Flower Craft for Kids
- This Monet art project for kids is a fun way to introduce famous artists for kids with a stunning project!
- Lovely Coffee Filter Crafts for kids
- Check out these toilet paper roll crafts
- Try these paper plate crafts for all occasions
- Clever Fall Crafts for Kids
- Silly Monster Crafts for kids of all ages
- Cute Handprint Alphabet Crafts from A to Z
- Letter Crafts sorted A-Z
- Learn your letters with these free printable alphabet crafts
Color Activities for Preschoolers
- Free Printable Color Worksheets
- 27 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super Cute Crayon Colors Craft
- Fruit Loop Color Activity for Preschool
- Printable color flashcards for toddlers
- Preschool Color Book Printable
- 40 Colour Recognition Activities
- Rainbow Sorting Games for Preschoolers
- Learning Color Words
- Fall Emergent Reader
- Learning Colors Printable
- Free Color Sorting Mat
- Learning Color Words Puzzles
- Octopus Learning Colors Printable
- Fruit Loop Color Activitity for Kindergarten
- Valentines Day Color Activity for Preschool
- Colors Book Printable
- Christmas Color Activity for Preschool
- Christmas Color Activities for Kindergarten
- Painting Worksheets
- Seashell Playdough Color Activity for Preschoolers
- Easter Color Words for Kids Printable Reader
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printable
- Good night Gorilla Color Activity for Preschool
- Turkey Color Activity for Preschool
- Fruit Loop Sorting Ma
- Mouse Paint Color Worksheets
See all of our color activities for kids