If you are looking for some handy, free music printables for teaching children how to read music, you will love these music worksheets and music activities for kids. These pages will help kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th graders learn to read music. Simply print pdf file with reading music notes projects and you are ready to play and learn!
Reading Music for Kids
Teaching children to read music does not have to be with the purpose of learning to play an instrument or sing long term. This can be an activity that children do for a little, and never pick up fully. On the other hand, though, teaching children to read music is the first step of them learning to play an instrument. These Reading Music Printables are a great way to introduce children to this concept. Use this reading musical notes with kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students.
How to read music for kids
Learning to read music worksheets
There are fantastic benefits to reading music that go beyond the music. While learning to play an instrument and being involved in music is extremely beneficial for children, reading music alone is too.
- Brain Growth: Studies show that exposure to music can help brain function increase. Whether your child is singing, playing an instrument or strictly listening to music, it can be beneficial in stimulating the brain and creating new formations.
- Language Skills: Children who are exposed to music at a young age typically have stronger speech development and can even learn to read earlier than those children who are not exposed to music.
- Math: Music can help children with math skills by listening to the beat, being introduced to fractions and of course numbers. Music also helps children strengthen spatial intelligence and ability to form mental pictures of objects, which is crucial for math development.
- Coordination: Playing an instrument or dancing to the beat can help children with their gross motor skills. Music helps connect the mind to the body.
- Confidence: Playing an instrument can help a child with their self confidence by giving them great opportunities for achievement.
How to read music printable
These music printables are perfect for introducing reading music to children. We have included pages that can be used:
- Posters to hang on the wall or leave on a table for reference – This includes where the various notes fall on a music staff as well as a chart of the different symbols that are associated with music.
- Two interactive activities for learning to read music
Learn to read music worksheets
The first is a music symbols matching game. This can be played in two different ways. If you look at the bottom of the page, there are the symbols inside boxes. These can be cut out and pasted next to the word that matches. This helps children learn and identify the symbols that music entails.
Teaching kids to read music
The second is to write the correct notes on the music staff. The notes are just like whole notes, with the circle empty on the inside. This leaves room for children to fill in the circle of what the notes are.
Exposure to music is calming, helps children develop and it is fun! These printables are just the start to helping your children learn to read music and enjoy the world of music.
Music for Kids
Looking for more fun and free printables and resources to teach kids music? Try these:
- FREE Music Theory Worksheets for kids to learn all about MUSIC
- Printable piano flashcards
- Paper Plate Tambourine Musical Instrument Craft
- Super cute Piano practice sheets
- Musical Instruments Worksheets for kids to learn math and literacy skills while learning about instruments for kids
- Free Printable Music Flash cards
- Introduction to Music Theory for Kids printable book to read, color, and learn
- Free Music Notes Chart
- FUN Homemade Musical Instruments for kids
- Nature Noisemaker Music Activities for Preschoolers
- Create Music Instruments for Kids with these printable playdough mats!
Learn to read music pdf
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Dancing Crayon Designs and Rebecca B. Designs
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!