Music is such an important part of life in general. It can change a mood, encourage learning, and be a learning tool in itself. If you are one that has instruments in your home, be grateful for the benefits that they provide. If you don’t, or even if you do, making homemade musical instruments for kids can be super easy and really fun for kids. This week we made a Paper Plate Tambourine and it was so much fun to make a diy musical instruments for kids. This instrument craft for kids is fun for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students.
Paper Plate Tambourine
This paper plate tambourine craft is super easy to set up to introduce music for kids of all ages. This musical instrument craft only requires a few supplies and beyond that creativity can take over. The inside of the instrument is the important part, but the outside can be decorated however your kids would like to decorate. It can also use craft supplies that you already have at home.
Musical Instrument Craft
All you need to make this cute tambourine music craft all you need are a few simple materials you probably already have at home:
- Paper Plate
- Dry Beans
- Hot Glue Gun
- Decorations – we used stick foam
DIY musical instruments for kids
We cut pieces of sticky foam to decorate the outside. We chose rainbow like colors, because those are bright and fun. We decorated the outside of the paper plate first, before turning it into the tambourine. I folded the paper plate in half so that my daughter would know where not to put the sticky foam. We cut squares of sticky foam. I had her peel the back off, because this is a fabulous fine motor skill strengthening activity. She placed the sticky foam wherever she chose.
You could also decorate this tambourine with things like this:
- Color on designs
- Cut pieces of construction paper & glue on
- Glue on pom poms
- Decorate with glitter glue pens
Homemade musical instruments for kids
When the paper plate was completely decorated, we folded it as it should be. Place beans in the bottom of the folded plate. Using a hot glue gun, connect the two sides together.
Once the glue is dry, shake the newly created tambourine. This musical instrument will hold up against even the most aggressive shaker!
Music for Kids
Looking for more fun and free printables and resources to teach kids music? Try these:
- FREE Music Theory Worksheets for kids , Introduction to Music Booklet to read, color, and learn, and reading music for kids worksheets
- Printable Music Flash cards and Free Music Notes Chart
- Super cute Piano practice sheets and free printable piano flash cards
- 40+ Music Crafts including musical instruments and activities, Learning Notes on the Staff Game with water balloons, Paper Plate Tambourine craft, spoon maracas craft, nature preschool music activities
- DIY Water xylophone
- Music color by number or Musical Instruments Worksheets pdf for kids to learn math and literacy skills
- Create music instruments with free printable playdough mats with this preschool music activity or try a whole music theme preschool
Crafts Ideas for Kids
Looking for more craft projects for kids? Check out these fun ideas!
- Paper Roll Bunny Craft, gorgoue turkey craft, clever spider craftivity, puffy paint pumpkin crafts, stunning corn art projects, yarn wrapped leaf crafts for preschoolers, paper plate apple crafts, mixed medium apple art preschool, gorgeous pasta butterfly craft, or fun puffy paint ice cream craft
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts, lots of cute preschool apple crafts, and easy tin foil art projects are fun-to-make and so pretty!
- Fish craft template, Elephant Craft Bookmark, Painted Flower Craft Preschool, or Creative Pipe Cleaner Crafts kids will want to make, rocket space craft for kids
- Stunning Tissue Paper Rainbow Craft, name craft template for camping crafts for preschoolers
- Bubble Wrap Painting Rain Craft, cute sun craft preschool, outrageously Cute Googly Eye Crafts
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Suncatcher Craft, Star Wars Crafts that are from a galaxy far, far away, Super cute Thing 1 and Thing 2 Craft
- Must-try Popsicle Stick Crafts, Over 100 Fun Spring Crafts for Kids, fun Spin Art Flower Craft for Kids
- Spectacular tissue paper fireworks craft, shaving cream butterfly craft, pretty pasta flowers,
- This Monet art project for kids is a fun way to introduce famous artists for kids with a stunning project!
- Lovely Coffee Filter Crafts for kids, check out these toilet paper roll crafts, try these paper plate crafts for all occasions
- Beautiful leaf crafts for preschoolers, clever Fall Crafts for Kids, silly Monster Crafts for kids of all ages
- Cute Handprint Alphabet Crafts, Letter Crafts sorted A-Z, or free printable alphabet crafts
- Hyacinth flower spring crafts, pasta mosaic art, st patricks day art with free template, Dr Seuss thing 1 and thing 2 handprint craft
- Fork paintd snowy owl craft, bubble wrap umbrella craft preschool, wreath printable easter crafts, or turkey hat craft
- See craft ideas by month