Do you have these foam letter puzzles somewhere hidden in a cupboard? Perhaps some of the inserts are lost and that is why it is not used anymore? Use the spelling puzzle as a hands-on, fun spelling activity for kids. THis games to practice spelling words is perfect for kindergarten and first graders. Using spelling games for kids allows kids to not only have fun learning their weekly spelling words, but helps them remember them better too!
Spelling Activity for Kids
Are you looking for a fun way for kids to practice spelling word? Use mini foam alphabet squares for a creative spelling activity for kids! You can use the outer pieces of the puzzles as a fun games to practice spelling words! This creative spelling games is perfect if you did lose some of the pieces, right? You can mix the letters for the child so that he/she must unscramble the word. Try this spelling games for kids with kindergartners and grade 1 students.
Games to practice spelling words
Or, you can say a word and the child then pick out the letters of the word from the pile. Both methods will work on identifying the sounds and putting it in the right order. These skills are called segmenting and blending. Very important basic skills for reading. (I would suggest reducing the letter options for early readers or children with reading difficulties. Start with CVC, three letter words words and moving on to CVCC and CCVC, four letter words).
Spelling games for kids
Use the puzzle as a stencil for Spelling Practice. Write the word. This means the child will hear the word, put the word together and write the word. The more repetition, the better for memory too! A great way to practice spelling or sight words!
A fun way to re-purpose foam letter puzzles for hands-on learning!
Looking for more fun, clever spelling games and free spelling worksheets? You will love these resources:
- Short and Long Vowel Worskheets for hands-on Spelling Practice
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice Worksheets
- Fun, Secret Code Spelling Worskheet
- Consonant Cluster Spelling Practice
- Hands-on Spelling Practice with Mini Cups
- 25 spelling activities for kids
- Spelling with Legos activity for kids
- Kindergarten Spelling Words – add a vowel practice
- Sensory spelling activities
- 1st Grade Word Search– free printable with grade 1 spelling words
- Money Spelling Activity
- Free Kindergarten spelling words Printable
- Dart Gun spelling activity
- Jump and Spell – an outrageously FUN spelling activity
- Floss Rule Worksheet
- Spelling Long A Words Activity
- Lego Spelling Test for Kids Printables
- Free Spelling Dictionary