Lay a proper foundation for your child to become a successful reader by setting up hands-on reading games and activities like this fun and interactive word ladder. This Sidewalk Chalk Game is a great way to practice reading skills and fluency with your preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, or first grade child. This word family activity is simple, practical, and makes learning to reading fun! So head outside for this summer or spring learning activity!
Word Family Activities
Knowing the sound each letter makes is key to learning how to read. Once your child begins to associate each letter with its sound(s), it is time to work on reading simple CVC words. Visual learners especially may enjoy learning to read with word families. Word families are groups of words that contain a similar pattern. These predictable, rhyming words allow children to become more confident, fluent readers! Word family activities are a great way to get the practice preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students need to thrive! This Sidewalk chalk activity works with any word family; we used it to work on at word family. Each word used in the word ladder ended with the word /at/.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homescooler – you will love that this word family game allows kids to actively practice reading kindergarten word family words while having fun. Kids learn best whent they are having fun! So head outside for this summer learning game or spring theme phonics activity today!
Word families for kindergarten
With some sidewalk chalk, head outside for some reading fun! The fresh air and movement involved in this reading activity will make reading fun for your child.
- sidewalk chalk
- word family reading list
Draw a ladder-like shape on the sidewalk and write a word containing the word family pattern you would like your child to work on in each space.
Sidewalk chalk games
Have your child begin at the bottom of the word ladder and read each word while moving up the ladder.
Encourage your child to make the first sound /b/ and blend it with the word family, /at/ to make the word /bat/. Move to the next word….
For your kinesthetic learners, add some fun movements to the activity by having them jump, crawl, hop on one foot, etc. up the word ladder.
Once they reach the top, do a little jig if you’d like, but the work is not done yet! Now it is time to turn around and build fluency and speed by reading the words now moving down the ladder.
Continue this activity with other word families, such as /-in/, /-op/, /-am/.
It is a simple reading activity that can be used to encourage reading skills all throughout the day. Do it once in the morning, after lunch, and before dinner! Have fun moving and learning! I think this activity will appeal to all kinds of learners– especially those that do best with movement and patterns.
Word Family Activities
Looking for more fun, free printable word family printables to make learning fun for preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and first graders? You will love these clever ideas and resources:
- Super cute Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Christmas Phonics Activity for working on phonics skills with word families!
- Pumpkin Pie Word Family Activity
- Turkey Word Family Sort
- Word Family Sliders Free – lots of styles to print in color or black and white
- Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables
- Easter Egg Word Families Activity
- Word Family Flowers Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Transportation Word Family Slides Printables with blends
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity
- Free printable Rhyming Word Families Kindergarten
- Lion Words Family Printable – read and clip
- Planting Carrot CVC Words worksheets
- Carrot Word Family Worksheets
- Blowing Bubbles Word Family Activities
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets