Shapes are the foundation to geometry. I have a tendency to focus primarily on identifying shapes, but with this activity we are going to focus on both shape identification and drawing shapes. This flashlight constellations is fun, hands-on shapes activity for kids perfect for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. Grab the shape printable and a flashlight to get started with this flashlight shapes activity for learning with constellation activities for kids. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this is a fun way to combine a stars for kids lesson with a shape activity for kindergarten.
Constellation flashlight printable
In addition to working on drawing shapes, this shapes activities for kindergarten works your child’s fine motor skills as they grip thepush-pin. This activity is also an opportunity to teach your child about the importance of respecting materials since they can get poked by the push-pin.
Your kiddos will love seeing the results of their constellation poking when they attach their paper to the flashlight.
All you need are a few simple supplies to try this shapes for pre k project:
- Shape Flashlight Constellation Template
- Push Pin (Larger ones are easier for small hands)
- Print the FREE Shape Flashlight Constellation Template below.
- Cut the template into 6 individual pieces.
- Place a shape on the cardboard and use the push-pin to poke a hole in each of the stars.
- Tape the shape over the flashlight
- Go inside a dark room, turn on the flashlight, point it at a wall and admire your constellation.
- Repeat with all the shapes.
Shape Activity for Kindergarten
Tip: Be sure to wiggle the push-pin around a bit to make the holes a little bigger, this will help the light come through.
Solar System Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun, hands on science activities to teach kids about astronomy or to round out your solar system for kids unit. You will love these hands on solar system activities and lessons:
- The Sun Activities for Kindergarten – learn about the sun and how the planets orbit around it including a fun planets game for kids!
- Moon Activities for Kids & Astronauts Too – make oreo moon phases, DIY telescope, learn about the astronauts who landed on the moon, and more!
- Inner Planets for Kids (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars) – Use our free planet worksheets and fun hands-on activities like Mercury craters, Venus’ melting rocks, layers of the earth, and Erupting Mars Volcano
- Outer Planets for Kids (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) – combination of hands-on solar system projects and solar system printables; gaseous Jupiter, Saturn Rocket, plus cloudy Uranus and Neptune.
- Pluto, Asteroid Belt, Comets, and Stars for Kids – make a FUN constellation projector, cold Pluto ice cream project, and grape constellation project
- Yarn Solar System Project – fun, unique, and easy solar system model that is cheap and so pretty!
- Paint Stick Solar System Project – easy-to-make solar system model for kids that doubles as an activity for learning the names and order of the planets
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations – fun hands on pipe cleaner constellations activity for kids
- Simple Galaxy Science Experiments
- Looking for more fun, engaging, creative, and memorable moon projects for kids? You will love this 50 Moon Activities for Kids & Crafts collection with the best ideas from the whole internet!
- TONS of really cool Solar System Project Ideas for kids of all ages
Free Solar System Printables
Plus, don’t forget to add these free solar system worksheets and printables to your lesson plan:
- HUGE pack of FREE Solar System Worksheets for elementary age kids
- Planet worksheets for kindergarten with solar system themed math and literacy activities for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students
- Simple Astronaut Coloring Pages
- Space Worksheets Preschool
- Free Constellation Activity Sheets
- Solar System Coloring Pages to read, learn, and color the solar system
- Printable Free Constellations Printable pdf for children to learn about stars and the patterns they make in the night sky
- Cootie Catcher Constellation Activities for Kids
- Free Constellation Cards
- Moon Phases Kindergarten Worksheets – HUGE pack!
- Planets Solar System for Kids pdf Book for students to learn about all the planets in our solar system
- Moon Phases Printable Mini Book for kids to learn about the phases of the moon
Looking for more fun shape printables and ways to help kids learn about shapes? You will love these free shape printables:
- Preschool Shapes Worksheets
- Teaching Shapes to Preschoolers with Pirate Printable Reader
- Monster Preschool Shapes Playdough mats
- FREE Shape Pattern Block Printables
- Chocolate Shape Mats
- Free Printable Shape Flashcards
- Build a Snowman – Free Printable Shape Puzzles
- Popsicle Shape Sorting Mats
- Pumpkin Shape Matching
- Penguin Shape Sorting Activity
- Trace & Erase Shape Activities for Preschoolers
- Pumpkin Shape Mats
- Leaf Shapes for Kids
- Trace the Shape
- Free Printable Shape Scavenger Hunt for kids
Shape Activity for Preschoolers
- Shape Scavenger Hunt
- Free Shape Matching Wheel Activity
- Shape Buddy Preschool Shape Activities and Crafts
- Free Printable Shapes Worksheets
- Cut and Paste Shapes Printable
- Shape Constellation Flashlight Printable
- Free Shape Puzzles Printable
- Shape Do a Dot Printables
- Free Printable Road Shapes
- Free Shape Bingo Game
- Shape Playdough Mats
- Free Shape Games
- Flower Shape Mats
- Ice Cream Shape Mats
- Flower Shape Math Craft
- Carrot Shape Mats
Printable flashlight template
Before you grab your shape printable, you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.