Help preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and grade 1 learn the months of the year in order with this fun, hands on Months of the Year Activity using sequencing sticks!
Sequencing Months of the Year
Learning the months of the year in order is a tricky concept for kids because there is really no beginning or end, just a continuing loop. This fun Months of the Year Activity using craft sticks is a fun way to teach the months of the year in order as well as what months are part of what season. This is a fun, educational activity for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love how simple this activity is to put together! All you need are colored popsicle sticks (plain will work too) and a sharpie marker. That’s it! You are ready to make learning fun for kids!
Months of the Year Activity
Write the names of the months on the sticks. I used association when I chose the colors. We are in the Southern Hemisphere, so blue was for Summer, orange for Autumn, red for Winter and green for Spring.
When assessing, I would ask questions like: “Why do you think the Spring sticks are green?”, “Why are there only 3 of each color?”, “Do we celebrate Christmas when it is a red month or blue month?” to see how the learners reason, make associations and inference too. I also ask which month the child birthday is, to see if they know and tell them mine as a way of getting to know each other better, making the assessment informal.
Months of the Year Game
We mix up the sticks and then learner must put it back in order again. This test sequencing of months and at the same time I can see whether the learners can read the names of the months. We play a game where a month is removed and the child must guess which month is missing.
Months of the Year Activities
As you can see, the Months of the Year sequencing sticks are a simple, but effective assessment tool to use to assess a variety of skills. The use of these sticks in an informal way helps to set the learners at ease, and at the same time gives valuable information as well.
Ready to move on to the days of the week? You will love this super cute and free printable days of the week,
Sequencing Worksheets Preschool
Looking for more fun and free sequencing activities including cut and paste worksheets, hands on activities, and more for early learners? Try these:
- Fall Sequencing Activities for Preschoolers
- Printable Fall Sequencing Worksheets
- Field to Table Farm Products Sequence Cards
- What we eat Farm to Table Sequencing Worksheets
- Making Hot Chocolate Worksheet – a sequencing activity
- Sequencing Planting a Seed Worksheet
- There was an old lady who swallowed some snow activities – fun sequencing activities
- Free Gingerbread Man Sequencing Activity
- Build a Snowman Worksheet
- Months of the Year Sequencing Activities for Kindergarten
Math Activities for Kindergarten
Looking for more early math activities to make learning to count, add, shapes, and more FUN? Check out these free resources:
- Hoppy Frog Math Game (addition within 10 and addition to 20)
- Goldfish Kindergarten Subtraction Games
- Blowing Bubble Math Worksheets
- Smores Free Kindergarten Math Worksheets
- Hands-on Estimation for Kindergarten Activity
- Snowball Sorting Odd and Even Math Activities
- Bug Measuring Kindergarten Worksheets
- Roll to 100 Counting Game
- Flower Shape Kindergarten Math Crafts
- Kids will have fun as they color and learn with these Ordinal Number Worksheets
- Spring Kite Skip Counting Craft
- Pirate I Spy Worksheets
- Engaging, Reusable Kindergarten Math Worksheets pdf
Maths Worksheet for ukg
- Crack the Code Worksheet Pages for Kindergarten and first graders
- Insect Telling Time Puzzle to the hour and half hour
- Free Printable Coin Worksheets – color by coin
- Cute Skip Counting Puzzles – huge pack of free skip counting games
- Fun Hundreds Chart Battleship
- Geoboard Activities
- Watermelon Kindergarten Math Activities
- Months of the Year Activities – learning sequencing with craft sticks
- Tic-Tac-Toe Printable Addition Games
- Dinosaur Theme Kindergaten Math Worksheets
- What Comes Next Kindergarten Math
- Free Ice Cream Math Worksheets
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft – free printable math craft to solve, cut, and paste