Making the best ever tomato soup
In 2 TAB olive oil over medium heat cook cut up 4 slices of bacon. This part is optional, but the bacon adds a really great dimension to the flavor.
Chop up 3 stalks celery, 3 carrots, 3 cloves garlic, and 1 onion. Add to the bacon and cook until it is all mostly tender.
Scoop all the veggies from the pot in to a blender and mix until smooth. Now mix 28 oz (about 4 cups) of fire roasted tomatoes. You don’t want them completely smooth.
Note: If you are using garden fresh tomatoes here is how you fire roast tomatoes.
In large saucepan or stock pot add 1 quart chicken broth, blended veggies, and tomatoes.
Add 1 teas oregano, salt & pepper, 1 teas sugar, 1/2 teas crushed red peppers. Add a splash of cream or whole milk.
Simmer 15 minutes or longer to blend flavors.
The soup is just thick enough to be filling. Is filled with lots of good for you veggies. And it has such an incredible flavor don’t be surprised if everyone asks for seconds….. or thirds!
I always get tons of complements on this soup! It is a hit at our house. I hope this yummy, good for you, soup is a hit at yours too!
Looking for more Family Favorite Recipes?
- Egg Bake – simple breakfast that is great every time
- Taco Pizza – a family favorite!
- Oh So Good Mac & Cheese Pies – mac & cheese for grown-ups too!
- Snicker Apple Salad – yep I said it, it’s a salad
- Crockpot BBQ Sandwiches – crazy good & easy too!
- Early Autumn Stew – the perfect fall soup
- Sweet Chili – one of my most requested potluck dishes