Fractions, decimals and percents are such an integral part of our daily lives, it is important that kids have lots of exposure, and practice writing and using them correctly.
The great thing about this activity is that it can be easily adapted for different ages and abilities, and used again and again so that the answers will be different each time.
Ocean Scene Math Activity
First, print an ocean mat and recording page for each child and one instruction page. Then print and cut out the ocean animal cards.
I would suggest printing the ocean mats and animal cards on card stock and then using a laminator so this can be used over and over. You could, however, use it as a cut and paste activity if you're only using it once.
Once the materials are ready, it's time to create an ocean scene full of fun creatures.
For instance, if you roll a 1, you would add a blue fish.
Each child rolls the die ten times to add ten animals and fill their ocean scene.
Once the scene is complete, your child can fill in the chart with the total number of each animal, and write the fraction, decimal and percent of that type of animal compared to the total animals in the sea.
Variations of the Ocean Fractions Activity:
- If you'd like to use this as an introduction using fractions, decimals and percents out of 100, multiply each animal total by ten before converting to fractions, decimals and percents. That way, the total animal count will be 100.
- To make this more challenging, increase the number of rolls to a more difficult number such as 15 or 18 (or whatever you'd like). Then have the kids write the number of each animal as a fraction, decimal and percent.
- You may also want to use this as an opportunity to practice reducing fractions to their simplest form.
Whatever the age and stage of your kids, I hope this activity provides a fun and unique opportunity to work with fractions, decimals and percents. And if you're looking for more resources, check out this huge list of children's books to use to teach fractions.
More Fun Math Games for Kids
- Apple Picking Multiplication Game
- Don't Get Caught Fishy Multiplication Game
- Firefly Catch Game (addition/subtraction)
- Hopscotch Multiplication Practice
- Hungry Caterpillars Money Games
- Knights Division Quest
- Leap Frog Multiplication game
- Low Prep Practice multiplication facts
Download Fractions Math GameBefore you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Bethany is the mom behind the blog, Math Geek Mama, a website dedicated to making math fun and engaging, while building a strong conceptual understanding of mathematics. When she's not playing with numbers, she is exploring with her four little ones, drinking way too much coffee, or soaking up the chaos of everyday life. Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.