These free Long Vowel and Short Vowel Cut and Paste Worksheets will help your students practice identifying short vowels with CVC words and long vowels with CVCe words.
Long Vowel and Short Vowel Cut and Paste Worksheets
You can see the wheels spinning in his little head. Which sound do I use? Should I say the short sound…..or maybe this time I make the long sound.
Vowels can be very tricky for young readers. The short vowels sound very close to each other, and sometimes they don’t follow the rules and make the sound they should.
And just when beginning readers are finally getting good and reading those short vowels, we throw long vowels at them. Now those kiddos have to know that each vowel makes two sounds! And to make it even harder they have to learn when to use a short vowel versus a long vowel.
The Silent E Method
There are many rules for making a vowel a long vowel, or a vowel that says its name. One of those ways is to add an “e” to the end of a word that has a consonant, vowel, and then another consonant.
For example, let’s say I have the word pan. Because it is a CVC word the a is short. But if I were to add an “e” to the end of the word, I now have pane….as in a window pane. The vowel now says its name, and the “e” at the end of the word is silent.
This works on so many words, and children need to learn that when an that “e” is added the vowel changes to a long vowel.
And this is what this short and long vowel cut and paste activity focus on.
Prep – Work
This activity requires no perp.
Simply, print off the worksheets.
Then provide glue and scissors and you are ready to go.
Directions for Short and Long Vowel Cut and Paste
The directions are very simple:
- The children cut out the pictures and the words.
- Next, they say the name for the picture and decide if the vowel is a short or long.
- When they figure it out they glue the picture under the correct section.
- Finally, they glue the words underneath the picture they represent. This is a great place to help children see how the “e” at the end of the word makes the vowel long.
Other Short Vowel and Long Vowel Practice:
- FREE Vowel Puzzles
- Free Vowel Recognition Activity
- Free Long Vowel Match Up
- Long A vs Short A Game
- Free Long Vowel Jump Board Game
- Free Short Vowel Games
- Short E Word Work
- Free Short Vowel Board Game
- Free Short I Word Mats
- Short O Cut & Paste
Download Long Vowel and Short Vowel Cut and Paste Worksheets
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.