What are Word Families
Word families help students learn to read, while recognizing patterns and words with common phonetic sounds. Teaching these rhyming words allows kids to form a strong foundation for spelling skills and phonemic awareness for reading readiness.
Word Families include short, simple word with short vowel sounds in the middle. Typically you will see a lot of these common family words when teaching young learners:
- at family words
- an family words
- it family words
- in family words
- en family words
- op family words
- ot family words
- ug family words
- and any other common word families your children are working on
These word family ideas are a great tool for early elementary age students!
Word Family Activities
Kids will have fun improving literacy skills with these fun and free word family activities for prek, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students. When kids have fun learning, they are more likely to remember what they learned and want to practice. Continued practice with word families will help kids achieve fluency.
- Use fun themes kids enjoy like superheroes and bubbles to make practicing great fun!!
- Help kids read word families with these clever Word Family Clip Cards printable
- Or use a book unit/theme or favorite author week? Spell and read with Truffula trees, make Caterpillar word charts or use playdough with these fun Cat in the Hat mats! Use everyday objects and tools to learn!
- Make little mailboxes like this mailbox activity or go fishing for word families with a fishing game using tiny nets and pingpong balls!
- P is for pizza with this pizza word families idea or simply use your letter cards in an alphabet arc to teach reading and spelling.
- Get outside with this Sidewalk Word Families activity that uses chalk. Or try this one on steps!
- Use Paint sticks, your magnetic letters with ice cream sticks, or reuse and recycle cardboard rolls to spell words!
- Kids will love this clever activity where they will slide a strip to create different words. We have Transportation Word Family Sliders – Blends or various Kindergarten Word Family Sliders with context clues.
- Ready. Set. Learn! These film strip themed word familes are a clever visual for learning
Word Family Games
By using word family games, kids will have fun learning which will make them want ot play over and over again. This interactive literacy practice will help them gain fluency and give them the confidence they need to jump into reading!
Looking for a more active game? Try this zany Word Family Sponge Bowling
As long as you are supervising web use, try these online word familiy games sorted by family words
Word Family Worksheets
There are lots of way to teach kids word famlies. You can use free word family worksheets, free word family printables, or hands on word family activites. Either way, you will love using these word family printables to make it quick to set-up these educational, learning activites. Whether you are a parent, teacher, homeschoolers, you will love using these in language arts centers, as extra practice, at home, or as summer learning.
I’m working on making more free word family worksheest to add to this list in the coming months! Yahoo!
Special holidays MUST be used for learning, right? Have fun learning word families with these seasonal word family activities:
Winter / Snowman
- Kids will flip when they see how cute and fun these Snowman Word Family Spinners are!
- Use these chocolate themed Hershey Kiss Worksheets & Activty for practcing around Valentines Day or National Chocoalte Day on October 28th.
St Patricks Day
- Try these rainbow mats and word cards for St Patricks Day
Spring / Flowers / Easter
- These cut and paste Spring flower words are a fun way to practice
- Using plastic eggs for Easter Word Families, is an egg-cellent idea!
- These adorable free Easter Sight Word Worksheets are a fun, NO PREP way for kids to practice! Just print, color, and learn!
- Another fun Easter themed way to practice is by sorting easter eggs by family word baskets
- Put the eggs in the correct carton and write the words on these Easter Word Family Worksheets
- Make an ice cream themed day with this Ice Cream Word Family Activity
Fall / Halloween / Thanksgiving
- Puzzles are a fun way for kids to put together various pieces with the same word patterns. Try these free pumpkin pie word family puzzles,
- Kids will have fun sliding the slips through these Pumpkin Word Family Sliders to read lots of simple words. Plus when kids slid the strips through they will have the benefit of picture clues too!
- During Fall, pumpkin words will be a hit
- Give the turkeys his feathers by sorting the words families in this fun Thanksgiving themed actity for early learners
- Decorate the Word Family Christmas trees in this super cute literacy activity where kids will put the ornaments on the correct trees by phonemic sound
So many FUN ways to learn to read word families! Which activity will you children/students want to try out first?
Don’t miss all our amazing grade 2 worksheets and 2nd grade activities with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, free printable worksheets for kindergarten, grade 1 worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.