Word Family Activities
As children learn to read they need to learn the sounds letters make, master phonemic awareness, and then they start learning to recognize patterns in words. This ability to see clusters of letters that form similar sounds is important for early literacy! These fun, engaging Word Family Activities are a great way for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students to learn to read by becoming familiar with the word family concept.
What are Word Families
Word families help students learn to read, while recognizing patterns and words with common phonetic sounds. Teaching these rhyming words allows kids to form a strong foundation for spelling skills and phonemic awareness for reading readiness.
Word Families include short, simple word with short vowel sounds in the middle. Typically you will see a lot of these common family words when teaching young learners:
- at family words
- an family words
- it family words
- in family words
- en family words
- op family words
- ot family words
- ug family words
- and any other common word families your children are working on
These word family ideas are a great tool for early elementary age students!
Word Families Activities
Kids will have fun improving literacy skills with these fun and free word family activities for prek, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students. When kids have fun learning, they are more likely to remember what they learned and want to practice. Continued practice with word families will help kids achieve fluency.
- Use fun themes kids enjoy like superheroes and bubbles word family activity to make practicing great fun!!
- Help kids read word families with these clever Word Family Clip Cards printable
- Or use a book unit/theme or favorite author week? Spell and read with Truffula trees, make Caterpillar word charts or use playdough with these fun Cat in the Hat mats! Use everyday objects and tools to learn!
- Make little mailboxes like this mailbox activity or go fishing for word families with a fishing game using tiny nets and pingpong balls!
- P is for pizza with this pizza word families idea or simply use your letter cards in an alphabet arc to teach reading and spelling.
- Get outside with this Sidewalk Word Family activity that uses chalk. Or try this one on steps!
- Use Paint sticks, your magnetic letters with ice cream sticks, or reuse and recycle cardboard rolls to spell words!
- Kids will love this clever activity where they will slide a strip to create different words. We have Word Family Sliders with context clues or Transportation Word Family Sliders to learn blends. Both are available in color or black and white.
- Ready. Set. Learn! These film strip themed word family printable are a clever visual for learning
Word Family Games
By using word family games, kids will have fun learning which will make them want ot play over and over again. This interactive literacy practice will help them gain fluency and give them the confidence they need to jump into reading!
Looking for a more active game? Try this zany Word Family Sponge Bowling
As long as you are supervising web use, try these online word familiy games sorted by family words
Word Family Worksheets
There are lots of way to teach kids word famlies. You can use free word family worksheets, free word family printables, or hands on word family activites. Either way, you will love using these word family printables to make it quick to set-up these educational, learning activites. Whether you are a parent, teacher, homeschoolers, you will love using these in language arts centers, as extra practice, at home, or as summer learning.
- Dab a Dot Mazes Word Family Worksheets
- Airplane Word Family Worksheets with Do a Dot Markers
- Cooking up Rhymes with Word Family Printables activity
- Lion Rhyming Word Family Activity
Special holidays MUST be used for learning, right? Have fun learning word families with these seasonal word family activities:
- ⛄ Kids will flip when they see how cute and fun these Snowman Word Family Printables are!
- 💝 Hershey Kiss, chocolate themed Word Family Worksheets for practicing around Valentines Day
- 💝 Chocolate kiss sorting word family activity
- 🌸 These cut-and-paste Spring flowers word family printable are a fun way to practice
- 🐣 These adorable, Easter Word Family Worksheets are a fun, NO PREP way for kids to practice!
- 🐰 Another fun Easter themed way to practice is by sorting Easter eggs word family activity
- 🐥 Put the eggs in the correct carton and write the words on these Easter Word Family Worksheets
- 🎃 Kids will have fun sliding the slips through these pumpkin Word Family Printables to read.
- 🥧 Puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice word patterns. Pumpkin pie word family activity
- 🍂 Spin and Cover turkey games for learning word families
- 🦃 Give the turkeys his feathers by sorting the turkey word family activities for early learners
- 🎄 Decorate the Christmas Word Family printables in this super cute literacy activity
So many FUN ways to learn to read word families! Which activity will you children/students want to try out first?
Don’t miss all our amazing grade 2 worksheets and 2nd grade activities with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, free printable worksheets for kindergarten, grade 1 worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.