If you're just beginning to introduce fractions, you might enjoy engaging your kids with a math story. Picture books can be a great way to introduce a new topic and get kids talking and thinking about fractions.
But if your kids are familiar and just need more practice, try playing this Fraction Race! printable board game together.
This is a great activity for 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade kids.
You will need to print the FREE board game and fraction cards (below) and grab game pieces (we use Lego minifigures)
In addition, by seeing fractions over and over that reduce to the same fraction, your kids will begin to recognize equivalent fractions.
While I do not recommend that they memorize all of the fractions included in this game, being able to recognize common equivalent fractions easily is helpful. Many of these will become recognizable simply by playing this game together.
This will also help your kids work on their division skills as they divide to simplify the fractions.
How to Play the Fraction Race Game:
Complete instructions for how to play are included in the download, but the basic idea of the game is simple, and similar to Candyland.
- The youngest player starts by choosing a fraction card.
- They reduce the fraction to its lowest form (all fractions reduce to either 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 or 1/6).
- Then, they move forward to the closest fraction on the game board matching their solution.
For example, if their fraction reduces to 1/2, they move their game piece to the next 1/2 on the board.
- Play then moves to the next player, who chooses a card and plays the same way.
If a player chooses a card that says, "Uh oh, flat tire," or "Time for a pit stop," the player loses a turn and play continues to the next player.
The first player to make it to the finish (which requires a solution of 1/6) wins the game!
I hope this fun fraction race game provides an engaging way to practice important math skills, and increases your kids confidence with fractions.
- Fractions Bingo Game
- Pizza Fraction Game
- Earth Day Fraction Pack
- Connect 4 Fractions Game
- Fraction Puzzles
- Build an Ocean Scene Fractions Game
Download Fraction Board GameBefore you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Bethany is the mom behind the blog, Math Geek Mama, a website dedicated to making math fun and engaging, while building a strong conceptual understanding of mathematics. When she's not playing with numbers, she is exploring with her four little ones, drinking way too much coffee, or soaking up the chaos of everyday life. Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.