If you are looking for a fun Christmas craft for kids to celebrate the holiday season in December, you will love this super cute Gingerbread Pirates project! The pirate gingerbread man is from one of our favorite Christmas picture book and makes a fun gingerbread craft for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. The Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments recipe is super easy to make, smells amazing, and makes really cute homemade ornaments for kids to make!
Gingerbread Man Craft
Believe it or not my kids were begging to do ‘preschool’ the week before Christmas. So even though I hadn’t planned anything I whipped something up. . . . My kids are VERY into Gingerbread! They love our Gingerbread cookies recipe (our recipe comes out super soft if you need one), gingerbread houses, and now their new favorite book: The Gingerbread Pirates by Kristin Kladstrup. So we whipped up some Cinnamon Dough for ornaments recipe that will keep & smells amazing. This Christmas activity is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students.
We made Gingerbread pirates using our gingerbread cookie cutter. Some had missing legs, just like in the book. This is such a fun homemade Christmas ornament that will remind you and your kids about reading this really fun holiday Christmas book.
Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments
These gingerbread ornaments are super easy to make and smell so good; they will make your house smell like Christmas! Simply mix the flour, salt, water, and cinnamon until well combined. Roll out on counter and use a gingerbread man cookie cutter to make your gingerbread ornaments. We tweaked them to make them look like pirate gingerbread men by adding a hat tp the Captain, cutting off one of his legs and adding a toothpick for a peg leg.
Pirate gingerbread man
We let them dry and then it was time to play with our Gingerbread Pirates.
Our captain gingerbread man pirate looked just like the book! Now, ten years later, we still look fondly on these ornaments on our tree! These were a HUGE hit in our house!
Gingerbread Craft Preschool
We also made a gingerbread men wreath with our leftover dough. We pinched the gingerbread men together with a little water, pressed in a raisin buttons and baked. Then we painted the gingerbread men. It was super easy & turned out so cute!
We finished out our learning this week using the Free printable Gingerbread Pirate Worksheets for Kids (Preschool-3rd grade).
This zany Grow a Candy Cane Activity is another must try Christmas activity on its own, using an Elf on the Shelf, or to give out to classmates.
Finally, don’t miss our EPIC Christmas Around the World unit! This includes free printables, and detailed posts on over 40 countries Christmas traditions along with clever activities and yummy recipes to try!
Looking for ideas for fun Christmas learning with free Christmas printables? Check out these fun resources:
- Fun Christmas Playdough Mats
- Alphabet Ornaments to trace and erase
- HUGE Pack of Christmas Worksheets for Preschool
- Christmas Science Experiments
- Stringing Lights Christmas Math Activities learning Patterns with playdough
- Free Christmas Tracing Sheets
- Find the Letter Free Christmas Worksheets
- Gingerbread Man Rhyme Puzzles
- Christmas Scavenger Hunt Online Free
- Cute Christmas Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Christmas Hundreds Chart Mystery Picture Worksheets
- Christmas Dot to Dot
- Christmas Alphabet Game
Christmas Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun Christmas printables, Christmas Crafts, and Christmas activities to fill your holiday calendar? Check out these fun ideas!
- Free Christmas Bingo Printable
- Printable Christmas Pictionary
- This Puffy Gingerbread Paint smells AMAZING!
- FUN Rudolph Race Game for kids with balloons
- Christmas Crafts for Kids book with over 100 Christmas Activities, Crafts, and Recipes for families to enjoy together during the month of December.
- Easy-to-Make Puffy Snow Paint
- Printable Hat Preschool Christmas Crafts
- Precious Snowman Handprint Ornament
- Beautiful Melted Crayon Ornaments
- Printable Christmas Names Cards with jokes
- How to Make Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments
- Simple Paper Strip Christmas Tree Ornament
- Epic Grinch Themed Party
- Puffy Gingerbread Ornament Recipe
- See all of our Christmas for kids crafts, activities, recipes, and printables here!
Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments
- 1 cups flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients in a mixer. No need to add flour on the counter to roll out! Roll & make gingerbread men. Cook on parchment paper lined baking sheet at 300 F for 1 hour. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and allow to cool thoroughly before painting or covering in lacquer.