Kids are going to be wowed and amazed when they try these truly EPIC dry ice experiments. We’ve found over 30 really fun dry ice experiments for kids. Each of these experiments with dry ice are sure to impress and educate kids from preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students. We just love ideas for making learning FUN! The hardest part is figuring out which dry ice experiments at home to try first!
Dry Ice Science Experiments
There are so many learning opportunities with these dry ice experiments at home. Dry ice makes very dramatic results that will WOW kids as they learn about cause, effect, chemical reactions, and the world around them. We have found the best Dry Ice Science Experiment ideas for children from preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – these fun dry ice experiments are sure to leave a lasting impressions on your children helping them to get excited about learning and engaged in learning about he world around them.
Dry Ice Science Experiments for Kids
Science is all about investigative learning, so when kids learn with dry ice, they’re given a new opportunity to investigate!
- How does dry ice work?
- What is dry ice?
- Does dry ice affect other things?
These are all questions that kids might ask when starting to learn with dry ice. After experimenting and answering these questions, kids can move on in the investigative process. They can use higher level thinking to analyze the information they’ve learned and come up with theories.
- Can dry ice be used to make someone’s life better?
- What are some practical uses for it?
When kids start to ask the question, “I wonder if….”, they’re developing theories and using higher level thinking. This is exactly what educators want for students! These things to do with dry ice are a fun way to help bring out natural curiosity in inquisitive minds.
Dry Ice Safety
When experimenting with dry ice, safety is important. Dry ice is extremely cold, around -109°F. Because of the extreme cold, kids need to know how to safely handle dry ice so that they don’t injure themselves or their co-scientists. Here are some dry ice safety guidelines that kids need to know:
- Use protective wear when handling dry ice
- Protective eyewear is always a good idea
- Use an insulated container to store or set dry ice in
- Do not store dry ice in an airtight container
- Use dry ice in a properly ventilated area
All of these guidelines will help keep kids safe when experimenting with dry ice. It’s important that a knowledgeable adult teaches these safety rules to kids before allowing kids to experiment with this item. Adults should also supervise the use of dry ice, monitoring the usage of dry ice to help keep kids safe and happy.
Experiments with dry ice
Now that safety precautions have been made, it’s time to dig in and have fun! These dry ice experiments are sure to teach kids all about the scientific process with the added bonus of having FUN! From experiments that include food to ones that can make art, these dry ice experiments are perfect for getting kids interested in dry ice.
Dry ice experiments at home
Nothing is better than combining science with food. These dry ice experiments use food to create a fun explosion or a tasty treat. From dry ice root beer to spooky Halloween drinks, there’s something for everyone! Have fun and happy snacking.
- Pottermore & Some Wizard Science Experiments – This dry ice experiment is perfect for the Harry Potter fans out there!
- Homemade Root Beer with Dry Ice – Root beer is a tasty drink, but it can be made even tastier with a little dry ice.
- Spooky Halloween Drink – This spooky drink is perfect for Halloween … or any other time of year.
- Make Ice Cream with Dry Ice – Ice cream fans will LOVE making this dry ice experiment.
- Witches Brew – This dry ice experiment is good enough to drink.
- Homemade Dry Ice Root Beer – Here’s another tasty experiment with dry ice … make some root beer!
- Dry Ice Soda Geyser – What do you get when you combine soda with dry ice? Find out with this experiment!
- Dry Ice Ice Cream – Is chocolate or vanilla your favorite? Make both with this dry ice experiment.
- Mad Scientist Potion – You don’t need to be a mad scientist to make this dry ice experiment.
- Watermelon Dry Ice Explosion – This experiment can be messy, but it sure is fun!
Dry ice Science experiments
The fun part about experimenting with science is getting up and moving around. Hands-on learning is such a wonderful way for kids to learn, which is why these dry ice experiments are so wonderful. Kids will enjoy these activity experiments as they learn all about dry ice and how it works. From frozen bubbles to rockets, kids will be amazed at what dry ice can do.
- Bubble Painting with Dry Ice – You’ll be amazed at the works of art that can be created with dry ice and bubbles.
- Harry Potter Crystal Ball – The future is easy to see with this crystal ball experiment. Have fun!
- Dry Ice Bubbles – Dry ice can make fantastic bubbles. Take a look at this easy and fun experiment.
- Coin in Dry Ice – Have you ever wondered what happens when you put a coin in dry ice? Find out with this experiment.
- Inflate a Balloon – How big can you inflate a balloon using dry ice? Discover the answer here!
- Make Frozen Bubbles – Have fun making frozen bubbles with dry ice. Kids will love this experiment.
- Dry Ice Science Experiment – Discover more about how dry ice can be used in an experiment here.
- Smoking Dragon Science with Dry Ice – Make a real-life dragon, complete with smoky breath, with this dry ice experiment.
- Ways to Play with Dry Ice + Water – Dry ice and water can make an interesting combination. Investigate with this experiment.
- Dry Ice Rocket – 3…2…1… LAUNCH into some fun with this dry ice rocket experiment.
Dry ice experiments will get kids so excited to learn about science. With proper instruction and supervision, kids of all ages can have a blast experimenting with dry ice.
Science for Kids
Looking for lots more fun, science experiments for kids? You’ve GOT to try some of these outrageously fun science experiments for kids! We have so many fun, creative and easy science experiments for elementary age children:
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments – which delicious project will you try first?
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit (coloring pages, hands on science projects, worksheets, and more!)
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- Life Cycles for Kids (from penguin to sunflower and spider to turkey we have LOTS of life cycles to explore and learn about)
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Human Body Project
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Find LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Easy Button Crafts for Kids
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Simple Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Free Beach Worksheets for Kids
- Chromatography Butterflies – EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
- 20+ Printable Roadtrip Games
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- EASY, Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
Balloon Craft Ideas
Looking for more fun ways to play with balloons this summer?
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Kids
- Drop & Paint – Water Balloon Painting Activity
- Roll & Paint – Outrageously FUN Balloon Painting Activity for Kids
- Balloon Paint Art Project for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Learning the Notes on a Staff with a FUN Music Activity for Kids
- Epic Ideas for Water Balloon Painting