Get ready for first day of school with this super cute Pencil Craft for kids! This simple, easy-to-make back to school craft is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, first graders, and 2nd grade students. All you need are a few simple materials to make this first day of school craft.
Even though I feel like summer just began, the stores are already filling up with school supplies. It’s time to buy pencils and paper and begin a new school year. To get ready for the new school year, we love to create different first day of school crafts every year. This year, we created this easy-to-make Pencil Craft. This simple back to school crafts preschool, toddler, pre-k, kindergarten, grade 1, and grade 2 students is not only fun to make, but it’s also a great way for young children to practice identifying shapes too. With just a couple simple supplies you can make cute pencil crafts at home or in the classroom at school.
Back to School Craft
This easy craft for kindergarteners is a great way to kick off the school year. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler, your child will have fun making this yellow craft out of some simple craft supplies you probably already have on hand.
- Craft Sticks
- Card Stock
- Yellow Paint
- Paint Brush
- Aluminum Foil
- Pink Construction Paper
- Brown Construction Paper
- Black Construction Paper
To begin, the children will paint the craft sticks with the yellow paint.
HINT: If you have a large group of young kids you can always purchase yellow craft sticks to make it easier!
Back to School Crafts Preschool
Next, have children cut a small rectangle out of yellow cardstock or card board that is about two inches wide by four inches long. They will then glue craft sticks to the piece of card stock. We used three jumbo craft sticks but four or five of the regular craft sticks can used instead.
Then they can cut:
- large rectangle out of pink construction paper
- large triangle out of the brown construction paper
- small triangle out of the black construction paper
- thin rectangle out of the aluminum foil
First Day of School Craft
Now it’s time to assemble the back to school pencil craft! Children will glue the brown triangle onto one end of the glued craft sticks. They will then glue the black triangle onto the brown triangle for the pencil lead. Next, the children will glue the pink rectangle onto the other end of the glued craft sticks for the pencil eraser. To complete the pencil crafts for preschoolers, they will glue the aluminum foil rectangle onto the pink rectangle.
As an option, children can attach a magnet to the back of their Pencil Crafts for kids and use it to hang their school papers on the refrigerator.
First Day of School Printables
Get ready for the first day of school with your 1st day signs, a fun game, 1st day of school craft, and these cute coloring pages!
- First Day of School Signs
- Free Printable First Day of Preschool Sign
- Back to School BINGO
- Celebrate by making a cute, free printable First Day of School Preschool Craft
- First Day of School Hat Craft for Kindergartners
- Printable Back to School Coloring Pages
Back to School Printables
We have lots of other fun, clever back to school worksheets to help kids get excited about going back to school! Check out these free resources:
- School Supplies tracing lines worksheets for 3 year olds
- Back to School Lego Challenge First Week of School Activities
- Super Cute and Easy Pencil Craft
- Crack the Code Back to School Worksheets – addition and subtraction
- Pencil themed Fraction Puzzles
- Work on phonics and literacy with these adorable Crayon Box CVC Words Activity
- Free Hand Washing Printables
- Lots of clever Back to School Crafts or these Back to School Crafts ideas
- Back to School Pencil Punctuation Activities
- Glue Stick rhyming activities
Back to School Activities
- School Bus Beginning Sounds First Day of School Activities
- Color by Hundreds Chart Back to School Worksheets
- Sticky Number Bonds Worksheets
- School Bus Letter Matching Game
- Glue Stick Number Bonds Worksheets
- What Comes Next Back to School Math
- Back to School Activity with Crayon Box Letter Matching Puzzles
- Cute Crayon Box Craft to work on learning colors
- Back to School themed Number Matching Activity
- I Spy Colors Crayon Worksheet
- Back to School Theme Preschool
- School Bus Letter Matching Puzzles – First Day of School Activities
- Free Back to School Worksheets Preschool
- I Spy Back to School Worksheets
- School Supplies Tracing Worksheet
- Back to School Color by Number Worksheets
- Cute Back to School Activity Count to 20 Clip Cards
- Pencil themed Counting Puzzles for Preschoolers
- Printable Back to School ABC Games
- Back to School Preschool Number Worksheets 1-10
- Playdough Counting Mat Bus Activities for Preschoolers
- Back to School Printables Bundle