Get ready for first day of school with this super cute Back to School Pencil Craft for kids! This back to school craft for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, first graders, and 2nd grade students.
Even though I feel like summer just began, the stores are already filling up with school supplies. It’s time to buy pencils and paper and begin a new school year. To get ready for the new school year, we love to create different first day of school crafts every year. This year, we created this easy-to-make Pencil Craft.
This simple craft for toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, grade 1, and grade 2 students is not only fun to make, but it’s also a great way for young children to practice identifying shapes too.
This easy craft for kindergarteners is a great way to kick off the school year. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler, your child will have fun making this yellow craft out of some simple craft supplies you probably already have on hand.
- Craft Sticks
- Card Stock
- Yellow Paint
- Paint Brush
- Aluminum Foil
- Pink Construction Paper
- Brown Construction Paper
- Black Construction Paper
To begin, the children will paint the craft sticks with the yellow paint.
HINT: If you have a large group of young kids you can always purchase yellow craft sticks to make it easier!
Next, have children cut a small rectangle out of yellow cardstock or card board that is about two inches wide by four inches long. They will then glue craft sticks to the piece of card stock. We used three jumbo craft sticks but four or five of the regular craft sticks can used instead.
Then they can cut:
- large rectangle out of pink construction paper
- large triangle out of the brown construction paper
- small triangle out of the black construction paper
- thin rectangle out of the aluminum foil
Back to School Craft
Now it’s time to assemble the back to school pencil craft! Children will glue the brown triangle onto one end of the glued craft sticks. They will then glue the black triangle onto the brown triangle for the pencil lead. Next, the children will glue the pink rectangle onto the other end of the glued craft sticks for the pencil eraser. To complete the pencil crafts for preschoolers, they will glue the aluminum foil rectangle onto the pink rectangle.
As an option, children can attach a magnet to the back of their Pencil Crafts for kids and use it to hang their school papers on the refrigerator.
Back to School Printables
Looking for some other fun and FREE printable activities for the first day of school? You will love these free printable resources and ideas:
- Celebrate the first day of school by making one of these free Back to School Hats
- Count to 20 Clip Cards
- Back to School Counting Puzzles
- Printable Back to School ABC Games
- Back to School 1-10 Number Worksheets
- Back to School Color by Number
- Free School Supplies Tracing Worksheet
- I Spy Back to School Printable
- Free Back to School Worksheets Preschool
- Back to School Theme for Preschoolers
- Apple Worksheet Preschool
- School Bus Beginning Sounds Activity
- Free Back to School Coloring Pages
- Free printable first day of school signs
- School Supplies Tracing Lines Free Printables
- Super Cute and Easy Pencil Craft
- Free Back to School Worksheets – Crack the Code
- School Supplies Free sudoku printables
- Back to School Printables Bundle