This diy christmas star is perfect for accompanying many different Christmas lessons for kids of all ages at home or with your Christmas Sunday school lessons. This star Christmas craft is super cute and fun-to-make with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade and 2nd grade students during the holiday season in December.
DIY Christmas Star
This DIY Christmas Star Craft is such a clever project for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students to make in December. This star craft for kids reminds us of the Star of Bethlehem that lead the shepherds and the wise men to where Jesus was born in Bethlehem. This christmas star craft ideas is perfect for making fun Christmas Ornament Star crafts or a sunday school craft for kids of all ages!
In Matthew 2 we read about the Wise Men searching for the Baby King. Matthew 2:9-10 reads:
After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.
After reading the passage and having a discussion about the Wise Men‘s journey, it’s time to do the craft!
This simple star made out of yarn and craft sticks is great for ages 5 and up.
Star Christmas craft
All you need to make these yarn stars with popsicle sticks are a few simple materials you probably already have at your home:
- Yarn (we used yellow and a fun sparkly white)
- Craft sticks
- Hot glue gun (optional)
- Printable tag (optional) **ADD DOWNLOAD LINK FOR PRINTABLE TAGS**
Start out by using your hot glue gun to glue three craft sticks into a star shape. I found it helpful to lay out the sticks how you’d like them to be and then use a pen to mark their position.
Christmas star craft ideas
Next, tie the yarn around the center of the craft sticks. You don’t have to do this and can just begin wrapping, but I found it easier to tie it off first, especially for my littlest helpers.
Star ornament crafts
Now it is time to begin wrapping your yarn! Wrap the yarn twice around a craft stick, then skip the following stick (going under it), then wrap two times again, skip the next, and so on.
As you keep wrapping it will start to look like this! Once you’ve wrapped for a while, you can change the look by switching which sticks you are wrapping and which ones you are skipping.
You can switch to a different color yarn by cutting your current piece of yarn and tying the new one onto it. You can also add in another color and do multiple colors at the same time. This is the fun part! Each person making their star can create it in their own unique way!
And the best part is, even if you get mixed up or your wrapping gets thrown off, the star will still look great! This makes it a great craft for all different ages and abilities.
Once you’ve finished wrapping tie off your yarn, leaving some length to use to tie into a loop to use for hanging.
At this point, you can be finished with your stars, or you can add on these fun tags with Matthew 2:8 on them!
Cut out your tags and punch a hole in them. Then, use yarn to tie them to the bottom of the ornaments.
So many different and pretty designs! Such a fun craft to do with a group!
They are perfect for hanging on the tree and make great Christmas decorations for around the house. Excellent to give as a gift as well!
And if you’re looking for other Christmas themed math practice, check out the FREE “12 Days of Christmas Math” which includes math activities and games for Kindergarten through Algebra!
- Roll and Cover Christmas Math for Preschoolers
- Christmas Connect the Dots (counting to 10 or 15)
- Count to 20 Christmas Playdough Mats
- Pack of Christmas Dot to Dot Worksheets (counting 1-50)
- Free Christmas Fact Families with addition and subtraction practice
- Free Christmas Hundreds Chart Coloring Worksheets (counting to 100)
- Twas the Night Before Christmas Printables Count to 10 Booklet
- Stringing Lights Christmas Math Activities learning Patterns with playdough
- Christmas Counting Cookies Clip Cards
- Cut and Paste Christmas Math Worskheets reviewing addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Solve & Stamp: Christmas Math Worksheets (addition/subtraction)
- Fun Christmas Skip Counting Puzzles
- Christmas Cut and Paste Shape Worksheets
- Counting Christmas Cookies Christmas Playdough Mats
- Christmas Color by Number – color by addition and subtraction
- Christmas Greater Than Less Than Worksheets
- Decorate a Christmas tree with math – Christmas Word Problems
- Bingo Dauber Christmas Math Worksheets
- Christmas Skip Counting Worksheets
- Decorate the Math Christmas Tree by solving equations adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing
- 20 Amazing Christmas STEM Activities
- Christmas Number Tracing Printables
Looking for ideas for fun Christmas learning with free Christmas printables? Check out these fun resources:
- Fun Christmas Playdough Mats
- Alphabet Ornaments to trace and erase
- HUGE Pack of Christmas Worksheets for Preschool
- Christmas Science Experiments
- Free Christmas Tracing Sheets
- Word Family Christmas Printables
- Find the Letter Free Christmas Worksheets
- Gingerbread Man Rhyme Puzzles
- Christmas Scavenger Hunt Online Free
- Cute Christmas Sight Word Worksheets
- Christmas Alphabet Game
Christmas Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun Christmas printables, Christmas Crafts, and Christmas activities to fill your holiday calendar? Check out these fun ideas!
- Free Christmas Bingo Printable
- Printable Christmas Pictionary
- This Puffy Gingerbread Paint smells AMAZING!
- FUN Rudolph Race Game for kids with balloons
- Christmas Crafts for Kids book with over 100 Christmas Activities, Crafts, and Recipes for families to enjoy together during the month of December.
- Easy-to-Make Puffy Snow Paint
- Printable Hat Preschool Christmas Crafts
- Precious Snowman Handprint Ornament
- Beautiful Melted Crayon Ornaments
- Printable Christmas Names Cards with jokes
- How to Make Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments
- Simple Paper Strip Christmas Tree Ornament
- Epic Grinch Themed Party
- Puffy Gingerbread Ornament Recipe
- 200+ Christmas Crafts and Activities
- See all of our Christmas for kids crafts, activities, recipes, and printables here!
Free Christmas Worksheets
Looking for more huge Christmas Worksheets to make practicing math and literacy fun for kids? You will love these huge, free printable packs for December!
Bible Crafts for Kids
- Memorizing Luke 2 for Families
- Jesus in the Temple as a Boy Craft
- Books of the Bible Scramble (printable game)
- Easter Resurrection Garden
- Daniel & the Lion’s Den Lion Pillow Craft (K-3rd)
- Shadrack, Mishak & Abednigo Fiery Furnace Craft
- Old Testament Kings Review Activity (K-4th)
- Books of the Bible Bookcase (printable books)
- Psalm 23 BINGO
- See all our Sunday School Lessons
Download DIY Christmas Star
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Do you have the link for the printable tags?