Make the middle ages for kids come alive to with this fun, engaging medieval knights for kids lesson plan. In this history lesson for kids, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade students will learn about knights, family coat of arms, may a DIY Bow and arrow, and more! Because kids remember more when they are having fun so we want our study of history to come alive for young students!
Medieval Knights for Kids
This week in our hands on Medieval Times homeschool history for kids unit we took a closer look at Knights. This knights for kids lesson is a playful, hands-on look at the middle ages for kids from preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students. We do lots of hands on history projects, read lots of good books, make a coat of arms craft to learn about heraldry, and so much more!
Knights for Kids
We learned that the process to become a knight began when a boy was 8 years old and would begin serving as a Page in a noblemans household. Goofy was surprised to learn that he was the right age to begin his page training. This Mom got a feeling her baby is growing up too quickly! We also learned out Heraldry, made a Craft stick Bow & Arrow, and had some great time to play.
Heraldry Project for Kids
In Medieval Times (also known as the Middle Ages) people were very interested in knowing about their ancestors and showing others what family they belonged to. People made up family designs that were passed down. These were also important for knights as when they were wearing armor you couldn’t tell if you were fighting a friend or foe. Having your crest on your shield and banner helped others to know who they were fighting.
Knight craft for kids
After picking the shape of their shield the kids picked colors they liked (and liked their significance). We picked typical symbols. Each of our shields had a sword cross symbol to symbolize we were all part of the same family and that we would fight for Jesus, our Lord and savior. My tender-hearted girls added hearts, and the castle symbol was popular with them too – wonder why =)
Finally, we made a coordinating flag for our castle. This helped neighboring kingdoms to know what family we belonged to.
At the heart of our lesson for the week were these great stories about knights. The Making of a Knight is a beautifully illustrated story of how a boy becomes a knight – a wonderful look at the process. Saint George and the Dragon is the retelling of a classic story. It is a longer story, good for 1st Graders or older. The Knight and the Dragon is short, sweet story perfect for Toddlers, Preschoolers, and Kindergarten learners. Knights in Shinning Armor is by one of my favorite authors for kids. Her books are always full of great information, nice illustrations, and in a wide variety of titles perfect for homeschool families.
DIY Q-tip Bow & Arrow
After seeing the super clever Q-tip Bow & Arrow I knew Goofy would love making it!
Castle and Knight Play
All our big units have lots of time for play! I feel strongly that children should be allowed to be children and actually play much of their day. I find that after a huge history unit my kids have lots of ideas and thoughts in their head that they want to act out and explore further. So besides playing in our DIY Cardboard Box Castle, we also played with Goofy’ Playmobil Castle. We spent some time modifying our original castle design to make sure it had all the parts of a castle we’d been learning about. Then we had fun playing and making up our own knight stories.
Looking for a fun suggestion for movie knight? The Sword in the stone would be a great pick for this week!
Journey back to the time of castles and knights with this fun middle ages for kids hands-on history lesson for kids!
- Lesson 1 – Castles for Kids
- Lesson 2 – Medieval knights for kids
- Lesson 3 – Church Medieval history for kids
- Lesson 4 – Famous medieval artists
- Free Simple Knight Coloring Pages
- Visit Medieval Times
- The Door in the Wall Study Guide and Lapbook for the Middle Ages
- Cardboard Sandcastle Castle Engineering with Paper Towel Rolls
- Knights Quest – a free Division Games
History Lessons for Kids
Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- Dive into Mesopotamia History to learn about Gilgamesh
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Learn about castles, knights, and more in this exciting Middle Ages for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Civil War for Kids – students will learn about slavery, famous Americans from the Civil War, famous battles, and how our nation stayed together. Lesson includes printable worksheets, mapping activities, printable civil war board game and more!
- Learn about US States for Kids – state coloring pages, president coloring pages, state report forms, states and capital printables, and so much more!
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Titanic for Kids Reader to Color and Learn
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- 1930s for Kids – Printable Book about the Golden age of Hollywood, Great Depression for Kids and more to read, color, and learn
- Life in the 1940s America for Kids Reader
- Anne Frank for Kids Printable Reader to read, color, and learn about this Jewish girl who lived behind the wall in Holland during World War 2
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
Geography for Kids
- Grab this realistic looking Free Printable Passport for Kids
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Kids can research to learn about other countries with these country worksheets.
- Around the World I Spy Worksheets – learn about 36 countries
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- Geography Treasure Hunt Activity
- Landforms Worksheets pdf free
- Snap Geography Games for Kids
- Read, Color and Learn about other countries with FREE country studies including: Vietnam For Kids and Greece for Kids and Peru for Kids and Kenya for Kids and Israel for Kids, plus many more!
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables and resources:
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- United States I Spy Worksheets
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Fireworks Patriotic Craft
- 50 States Worksheets