Who else loves spending summer weekends camping with your family and friends? Spending summer days and nights at the campground or even in a tent in the backyard. Some of the best memories are made while camping. That is the inspiration behind this Camping CVC Mat set. Pre k, kindergarten, and first grade students will have fun with this camping themed activity for learning sight words.
Sight Words Mat
Many children learn CVC words first, after their name. These words make up the core of the English language, so it is important to me to teach them to my kids. It is also important to make sure they are having fun while learning. Often times, the element of fun helps motivate kids to learn.
One way to make sure an activity is engaging and fun is to use a theme that is relevant. Camping, roasting marshmallows and enjoying nature things that kids (and adults) are excited about when summer comes around!
You can find more of our sight words activities here! We have tons of fun, hands on ways for kids to learn sight words, and we are constantly adding new ideas!
Sight Words Activities
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this hands on way for kids to practice sounding out words, reading readiness, and spelling. Use this as summer learning, supplemental activity, and centers. This is perfect for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1.
There are a few ways that this Camping CVC Sight Word Mat can be used. This printable activity comes with three different mats, as well as printable alphabet tiles.
One option is to laminate the alphabet tiles and both of the CVC mat. This is optional, but it will most likely extend the life of the activity. If you are a classroom teacher, this is a great way to make it last in your literacy center.
If your child is just beginning to learn CVC words, you can provide a list of words for them to copy with the CVC mat and alphabet tiles. If your child is more advanced, you can speak the word and ask them to find the letters and spell out the words on the mat.
If you laminate the CVC mat, you can use a dry erase marker to write the CVC word you want your child to spell. This CVC Sight Word Mat is perfect for helping children practice sight words in an engaging way with a fun summer theme!
If you are looking to make a week of camping themed, smores activities, don’t miss these great resources:
- Letter C Printables for pre k to work on math, literacy, science, social studies, and more!
- Camping Counting Book
- Marshmallow Ten Frame Activity
- Camping Worksheets to practice math and literacy skills with prek / k
- Camping Tracing Strips to improve fine motor skills
- S’Mores Rhyming Words Activity
CVC Words Printables
Looking for more free CVC Words Printables to help kids practice these key words? Check out these resources:
- CVC Word Puzzles
- Build a Snowman CVC Words
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity
- CVC Words Short A Book
- Scarecrow CVC Words Activity
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
- Reading CVC Words Activity
Camping Sight Words Printable
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!