Kids will have fun learning their letters and initials sounds with this free printable, beginning sound activity. This alphabet printable allows you to combine a hands-on sensory activity with an intial sounds activity with preschool, pre-k and kindergarten age students. Simply download pdf file with alphabet game printable and you are ready to play and learn!
Beginning sound activity
“Look, Mommy, it’s Bubba’s letter!” I glanced over at my little boy covered in sweet smelling bubbles, his smile a huge upside down rainbow, and his little fist tightly clutching a soaking wet letter N. I bit my lip to keep back the laugh that was threatening to explode from the depths of my belly. All of my kiddos have the privilege of their siblings calling them by their given names. Well, all of them except the oldest. This little nurturer, who helps me in so many ways with the twins, has affectionately been named Bubba. Big B was right. N does happen to be the first letter in my oldest child’s name, but it isn’t the first letter in Bubba. Even though I wanted to laugh at his cute mistake, it also made me realize that it was time for our alphabet learning to be expanded on.
It was time to take the alphabet learning that was happening in our bathtub to the kitchen table. This beginning sound activity is a great way to help kids move from knowing their letters to knowing the sounds letters make to starting to sound out works with evolving phonics skills! Try this beginning sounds activity with preschoolers and kindergartnesr to get them ready to read!
Sensory alphabet activities
We have been playing with foam letters in our bathtub for quite some time now. The twins are getting pretty good at recognizing the letters and being able to tell me a word – mainly family names – that start with that letter. Once we start back to school in a few weeks we will be focusing on one letter each week, but until I can get my ducks in a row I wanted these little toddlers to have opportunities to explore the letters they are showing interest in. I also knew this would help build some vocabulary for my little girl whose speech needs improvement.
I wanted to get the kiddos ready to play the beginning sound alphabet game with the letters, but I wanted to expose them to the to pictures first. We did a cookie sheet activity, followed by a puzzle. Both of these activities gave the twins exposure to new vocabulary, – Kiwi is not a fruit that often makes it way to my grocery cart – allowed us to work on beginning sounds, and gave those little toddlers a chance to learn the names of the pictures.
Beginning Sounds Activity
- Colored rice or any other type of sensory material
- Container to hold sensory material
- 2+ sets of magnetic letters
- Game Piece
- Free Printable game board (download below) – includes 6 game boards. Each game board focuses on four to five letters. For example, the first game board only has pictures for the letters A, B, C, and D.
This game is simple to play, but there is a massive amount of learning taking place.
To begin, bury the magnetic letters in the colored rice, and have player one dig through the rice (sensory play) until they find a letter. When they pull it out, have them tell you the name of the letter (letter recognition). Next, have them begin moving their game piece up the board. At each picture ask them to tell you what the picture is (building vocabulary and speech), and then ask them if the pictures starts with the letter they have in their hand (beginning sounds). If it does, the player leaves their game piece on that picture. If it doesn’t they get to move to the next picture. When their game piece is on a picture that matches the letter, rebury the letter and allow player two to have his turn.
Player two gets to repeat the process. The game is over when one player reaches the word “end” before they find a picture that matches the letter in their hand.
Helping you child learn the alphabet is such a precious time. Enjoy those soapy letter moments, rice and letter filled bins, and all the conversations that flow from this time with your child.
- Cute Alphabet Coloring Pages helps build vocabulary, letter shaped alphabet coloring pages, and handy free alphabet chart printable, free match the same letters worksheets
- Printable Alphabet Letter for Crafts and cute abc order worksheets
- Endangered animals find the letter worksheets
- Letter Recognition Worksheets – find and dab, alphabet fish printable, find the letter rain worksheets for preschool, printable abc book with pictures pdf free download, and popular letter recognition worksheets
- Free alphabet printables for toddlers pdf or these a to z worksheet for nursery
- Practice uppercase letter tracing with these super cute animal alphabet cards A-Z or these alphabet animals printable worksheets
- Summer handwriting tracing worksheets, initial sound Snowman coloring pages, or alphabet free insect printables for preschoolers
- Preschool Handwritting practice with color the pictures and trace the upper and lowercase letters or these alphabet matching worksheets
- Fun Alphabet dot marker printables (uppercase and lowercase), these dinosaur alphabet printables, or these find the letter worksheets
- Free printable preschool worksheets tracing letters or these cute letter find Star Wars worksheets
- Bug Alphabet mazes, Bingo Dauber alphabet maze worksheets
- Farm animal tracing worksheets with alphabet practice too
- Color by Code Alphabet coloring worksheets
- Pirate Free Alphabet Printables Worksheets or these alphabet writing practice worksheets pdf (tracing letters), and free printable alphabet worksheets (variety of activities)
- Free printable uppercase alphabet crafts and lowercase letter crafts
- Printable hats alphabet activity for kids
- Simple Alphabet Playdough Mats or these play and learn alphabet playdough mats
- Animal uppercase alphabet tracing cards for preschoolers and lowercase letter tracing cards
- Popsicle Stick Letters with free printable template cards
- Fruit Loop alphabet activity for preschool with snack mats
- SEASONAL – traceable pumpkin alphabet, pumpkin worksheets for preschool, hands-on alphabet Easter egg hunt, build-a-turkey thanksgiving alphabet worksheets, a is for apple printable phonics sounds, sandcastle letter tracing printables, alphabet watermelon activities for preschool
- Bunny abc matching game printable or these flower alphabet matching printable puzzles
- Feed the Monster Printable alphabet game
- Construction phonics activities for preschoolers, tool letter matching games, or these construction alphabet letters tracing
- Magnetic Letters Beginning Sounds Games or these animal letter sounds cards
- Free printable fruits and vegetables alphabet reader
- Plus don’t miss these alphabet activities for kindergarten, letter alphabet crafts, or alphabet handprint art
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of Educational Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Alphabet game printable
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.