Think you already know about sea snakes, frogs, toads, salamanders, and sea turtles for kids? Have you heard of a toad whose eggs embed in the females’ back, even after hatching, until they emerge as tadpoles? Did you know the sea turtles only come out of the water to lay their eggs on the same beach they themselves were hatched? Did you know the green sea turtle doesn’t have a green shell, but rather green fat? Wondering if the extremely venomous water snakes are in the ocean near you? This printable science lesson will take you on a fascinating journey as you learn about sea turtles, sea snakes, aquatic frogs, marine toads, and salamander.
A Lesson on Aquatic Herps
If you’re like I was, you probably have no clue what a herp is. A herp is another way to say a creeping, crawling creatures that move about on their bellies – in other words reptiles and amphibians. This study will teach you what herps are and dive into the fascinating ocean to learn about sea snakes, frogs, toads, salamanders, and sea turtles for kids.
Whether you are looking for a fun science unit, supplement to your zoology / biology lessons, are following an interest your child has, are planning for summer learning, creating a fascinating center, or planning for next years homeschool science lessons. You are going to love this fun, interesting, and thorough lesson for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, grade 7, and grade 8. There is truly something for everyone!
Sea Turtles for Kids
The pdf file contains lots of facts, fun science experiments, animal crafts, test (with the answer keys), creative writing, and worksheets to review what kids have learned like label the anatomy and life cycles. You will have so much fun with these learning activities and educational science unit. In this 44 page pack, students will learn lots of interesting facts in easy-to-read text with cute clipart to keep kids engaged. You will find information about herps, turtles lesson, Aquatic Reptiles Lesson (sea snakes), and Aquatic Amphibians Lesson (frog toads, and salamanders).
All the pages except for the flashcards are in black and white to save you on printing costs. You can read the material on your laptop, desktop or phone if you want to save even more printing and paper costs. We like to print the pages and the kids color the cute blackline pictures as we learn about these unique and amazing animals that live in the water.
Included on the pages are instructions for a simple science experiment that will help kids understand life for sea turtles, frogs, and other herps. Doing hands on activities make things so much more memorable so they retain the information better.
Sea Turtle Facts for Kids
Kids remember best by not only reading, but by doing. So we’ve included various options for kids to use the information they learned to complete these pinniped worksheets. Each printable includes an answer key! Children can review what they’ve learned in this fun all about sea turtles, sea snakes, aquatic frogs, toads, and salamanders lesson with these printable worksheets:
- Sea Turtle Life Cycle to color, study, learn, or hang as a poster
- Sequence the Sea Turtle Life Cycle
- Label the Sea turtle
- Fill in the life cycle of a sea turtle
- Sea Turtle True or False
- Text Detective – read passage and teach kids to look for context clues with these clever color the clue reading skills for comprehension pages
- Wonderful Herps Report Form template
- Compare & Contrast Amphibians and Reptiles using Venn Diagram
- Frog Life Cycle to color, study, learn, or hang as a poster
- Sequence the Frog Life Cycle (learning about tadpoles)
- Frog Anatomy
- Label the Tadpole
- Compare & Contrast Frogs & Toads using this cute Venn Diagram
- What have you learned about Herps Test
- Planning your report template
- All About Turtles report form (or use it to for creative writing)
- All About Frogs (ruled paper for writing research project, report, or creative writing.
- Amphibian Writing Prompt
Super cute all about frogs and sea turtle coloring pages to enrich your study or keep younger siblings from preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and first grade engaged with the material. Simply colour that sheets using crayons, markers, or colored pencils.
Also included are these super cute printable frog craft and printable sea turtle craft. Complete instructions included to print in black and white on green (or white) paper.
The frog belly is a life cycle spinner. The sea turtle includes both the life cycle and space for children to write has, lives, eats.
Don’t miss the other animal studies we’ve created!
- All About Whales
- All About Pinnipeds (seals, sea lions, walrus)
- All About Herps (sea turtles, sea snakes, aquatic frogs, toads, salamander)
- All About Fish, Sharks, and Rays
- All About Mollusks, Crustaceans, & Cephalopods (crabs, lobsters, octopus, bivalves, clams)
- All About Echinoderms & Cnidarians (Jellyfish, Sea Stars, Sand Dollars, Coral)
Because of the sheer amount of time this resource took to create, there is a small fee to purchase this impressive pack filled with information, links to animal videos, science worksheets, science craft, and more! But you know me, my heart is to keep things free (or as close to free as I can possibly make them) so this amazing unit for you to study herps is only $1.99!
For use in a classroom or co-op, please purchase a teacher licensed version.
** Please note this is a printable unit. You will not be mailed any physical product.
Or purchase the entire 7 lesson, 250+ page Ocean Unit! (learn more)