In week 2 we learned about the shot hear around the world lesson allowed us to dive deeper into the American Revolutionary War using our lapbooks, books, and minute man drills.
The Shot Heard Round the World
This week we watched episodes 6-12 from the outstanding Liberty Kids video series. (If you have middle school+ age children you might want to check out The Founding of America Megaset) Goofy so looks forward to each exciting & informative new episode! I find in his free time he is often times roll playing scenes from the series!
We studied the following events from the Revolutionary War this week.
Lexington & Concord – April 18, 1775 (we acted this out beginning with Paul Revere’s Ride performed by Tinkerbell =-)
“One if by land, two if by sea.” Paul Revere
“The British are coming! The British are coming!”
“Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war; let it begin here.” Captain John Parker
We held minute man drills
Raid on Fort Ticonderoga
May 10, 1775 The Americans raided the fort to get needed ammunition. (Ethan Allen, Green Mountain Hero)
Bunker Hill June 17, 1775
To the shock & surprise of the British, Col William Prescott’s troops built a a fort on Bunker hill almost overnight. Bunker Hill was the first large battle. They did not have very much ammunition – so the patriots were told “Don’t fire until you see the whites of their eyes” Col William Prescott (saying originated with Prince Charles of Prussia)
Famous People of the Revolutionary War for Kids
Paul Revere’s midnight ride for Kids
Paul Rever was an American silversmith and a patriot in the American Revolution. He is most famous for alerting Colonial militia of approaching British forces before the battles of Lexington and Concord. “The British are coming. The British are coming.”
Thomas Jefferson for kids
Jefferson was an American Founding Father who was the principal author of the United States Declaration of Independence (1776) and the third President of the United States (1801-1809). He also represented Virginia at the Continental Congress, as their governor, and after the war as minister to France.
John Hancock for Kids
John Hancock was one of the wealthiest men in Colonial America, was a merchant, statesman, and prominent Patriot of the American Revolution. He served as president of the 2nd Continental Congress and as Governor of Massachusetts. His large, stylish signature was the first on the Declaration of Independence making “John Hancock” synonymous for signature in the United States.
John & Abigail Adams
John Adams was an American Founding Father, lawyer, Massachusetts statesman, diplomat and political theorist. A leading champion of independence in 1776, he was the second President of the United States (1797-1801). Abagail is remembered for the many letters she wrote to her husband while he stayed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during the Continental Congresses.
Daniel Morgan for Kids
Daniel Morgan was an American pioneer, soldier, and United States Representative from Virginia. One of the most gifted battlefield tacticians of the American Revolutionary War leading “Morgan’s Riflemen” (he is included in other books from the Timeline section)
Download FREE Revolutionary War Timeline & Lapbook
We also added this weeks’ events & famous people to our lapbook. You can download the American Revolutionary Lapbook here.
See the rest of the lessons in this Revolutionary War for Kids unit:
History Lessons for Kids
Check out one of or MANY engaging, Free history lessons for kids
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- Dive into Mesopotamia History to learn about Gilgamesh
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- Learn about castles, knights, and more in this exciting Middle Ages for Kids
- Make a teepee, dig for arrowheads, color our printable books and more in this Native Americans for Kids lessons
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Civil War for Kids – students will learn about slavery, famous Americans from the Civil War, famous battles, and how our nation stayed together. Lesson includes printable worksheets, mapping activities, printable civil war board game and more!
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- 16 Countries for Kids Printables
- Learn about the countries for kids with these free resources
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Kenya for Kids Printable Book to learn about this African country with lots of amazing wild life
- Learn about Japan for Kids with this free printable book filled with fascinating facts and pretty pictures to color
- Discover the fascinating landmarks like the Brandenburg Gate and Neuschwanstein castle as you discover Germany for Kids
- Russia for Kids Printable book helps you learn about the famous onion domes among other things
- Let’s head to the outback to find some Kangaroos as we learn about Australia for Kids
- Free New Zealand for kids printable reader
- Iran for Kids Printable Book tells kids about this Middle Eastern country previously known as Persia.
- Learn about Israel for Kids printable mini book about this lovely country
- Let’s explore a country on the Arabian Peninsula, Saudi Arabia for Kids with this free printable mini book filled with fascinating facts and information to color, read, and learn!
- You can find all our country coloring pages coloring pages or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Children around the World Worksheets
- Country Coloring Book – explore 36 countries with country coloring pages