Here are some more great reads. Let me know if you had a favorite in your house!
10 Favorite Picture Books for Kids
Froggy Gets Dressed
“So Froggy put on his socks – Zoop!….Tugged on his mittens – zum! And flopped outside into the snow – flop, flop, flop.
We like the Froggy books, but this one is our favorite! We even have a flannel set to tell the story on the flannel board! It is filled with great action words like zoop, zup, zat, zwit, and zum. It is also great for helping kids remember what all they need to wear when they go outside in the snow. Minnie laughs when Froggy’s Mom tells him he forgot his underwear! Also see these favorite Froggy books (to name a few) Ages 2-7
“Up through the snow appeared a badger. He eyed the mitten and began to climb in. The mole, the rabbit, the hedgehog, and the owl were not pleased. There was no room left, but when they saw his diggers, they gave him the thumb.”
This is a precious story about a boy whose Grandmother knits him mittens. He asks for white, despite his Grandmother’s warning that white is hard to see in the snow. The boy looses a mitten and animal by animal squeezes in to keep warm. The mitten stretches and stretches even big enough for a bear. At the end the boy finds his lost mitten. Sweet story. My kiddos giggle and giggle. Ages 2-6
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
“One Sunday morning the warm sun came up and -pop!- out of the egg came a tiny and very hungry caterpillar: On Monday he ate through one apple. But he was still hungry.
This is truly a classic that every child should read. There is so much to love about this book: the simple illustrations, the cute little caterpillar, how it teaches the days of the week, counting one to five, explanation of how junk food gave the caterpillar a stomach ache, the holes through the food in the book, the simple explanation of how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly, or the big beautiful butterfly that emerges at the end. Pick one and you have a winner! Ages 2-6
Over in the Ocean
“Over in the ocean far away from the sun, Lived a mother octopus and her octopus one. “
This is a fun, educational, rhyming book with gorgeous illustrations! I love the unique ‘textured’ artwork. In the book you count to 10 as you meet different animals from the coral reef. We love this book in our house – you will too! Ages 2-7
“George was curious. What would happen if he pushed that red button? George had to find out, so he pushed it.”
Whether you prefer the classic-style George or the newly updated PBS-style George, everyone loves this curious monkey. These books are always fun to read and it’s okay that George is a little naughty, after all he is a monkey. There are dozens and dozens of these fun-to-read books so you are sure to have plenty. At our house we prefer the PBS-style as they teach a Math or Science principal in each. At the end there is a hands on idea to illustrate the principal taught. (We also love the PBS Curious George cartoons). Ages 2-9
“Goodnight room, Goodnight moon. Goodnight cow jumping over the moon. Goodnight light and the red balloon. Goodnight bears, Goodnight chairs.”
I know this seems like a given, but I had to post it in case someone hasn’t read this classic book. I personally had never heard of it until it was given to us as a gift for a baby shower. This beautiful book goes between black and white and bold color illustrations. It is basically the bunny saying goodnight to all the items in his room. Anyone else have a child that likes to stall bedtime like this? Fun to read & a must read! Ages 1-7
I Love it When you Smile
“So she gathered up some dry leaves, tossed them into the air, and all the leaves came down on Little Roo. He looked so funny! ‘I think I can see a smile this time,’ his mom said, and laughed. “Just a little one…?’”
This is a fun book to read together. The child, Roo is feeling grumpy and he doesn’t know why. Like mothers everywhere, the Mommy wants her child to smile. She goes does lots of silly things to make him smile. At the end he smiles when they both fall and are covered with mood. Nice illustrations, cute story, a cherished book at our house. Ages 2-8
This Jazz Man
“This jazz man, he plays three, he plays congas tween his knees, with a bippity-pop! Poppity-pop! Give the man a hand, this jazz man pounds with the band.
This is a fun book to read/sing. It sings like “This Old Man” but is about 9 Jazz men. Great for counting, rhyming, fun action words, information about 9 famous jazz musicians in the back, and just plain fun to read. We sing is all the time! Ages 2-8
Tippy, Tippy, Tippy Hide!
““Knocka-knocka-knocka!, three little rabbits come begging at his door”
I don’t know if it is because I have a garden & can empathize with Mr. McGreely, how sneaky the bunnies are, or the wonderful words used to tell this story – but it is worth a couple reads at least. It is actually on our Christmas list this year! You can also check out the prequel Muncha, Muncha, Muncha for some more laughs with Mr. McGreely and the bunnies. Ages 3-9
This story is so cute. Moonbear is trying to fish and his shadow gets in the way. He then spends the morning trying to get rid of his shadow: nailing it down, burying it in a whole, etc. It is a cute way to try and explain to children about shadows. You won’t be disappointed. Ages 3-8. Moor Moonbear Favorites:
So….did I find some you haven’t read yet? When you read them, let me know what you think!
Looking for more great content? We have over 1 million free printable worksheets conveniently arranged by subject or grade: super cute Pre k Worksheets, fun kindergarten worksheets, free 1st grade worksheets, handy 2nd grade worksheets, printable 3rd grade worksheets, and 4th grade worksheets
- Help kids learn their ABCs and work on letter recognition with these super cute A to Z Worksheet pages
- Over 2000 pages of free alphabet printables to find exactly what you are looking for!
- Huge pack of solar system worksheets
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Simple machines for kids projects, lesson plans, printables, and more!
- FREE Maps for kids including printable world map for kids, continent maps, and country maps too
- Handy Sight Words Printable list plus lots of sight word games, activities, and worksheets too!
- Learn about other countries around the world with our free country coloring pages
- We also have reading list like this 1st grade reading books pdf to help you pick engaging books for kids!
- Celebrate the letter of the week with these adorable, Free Alphabet Hats
- Make learning fun with these free cut and paste worksheets
- Plus don’t miss this outrageously fun Human Body Project
- We have lots of themed worksheets like these super cute Frozen preschool worksheets
- Color, Read and Learn your letters with this printable alphabet book pdf for each letter A to Z
- Make science FUN for kids of all ages with over 100 Food Experiments to try
- Teach kids to tell time with this huge pack of printable time puzzles
Plus don’t miss these popular posts from our sister sites:
- Shaped Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Lots of cute, themed Free Kindergarten Worksheets
- Bingo Dauber Printables
- Printable Lowercase letter alphabet crafts
- Printable Uppercase alphabet Letter Crafts
- Cute Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Letter Recognition Worksheets with do a do markers
- Lots of free ABC Printables for preschoolers
- Free Playdough Mats to work on shapes, numbers, colors, alphabet letters, and more!
- Uppercase Letter Tracing with animal alphabet mats
- Free Color Worksheets
- Simple, free alphabet worksheets
Leave a Reply