Should I Homeschool my Kids
Do you want to Homeschool?
Are you able to Homeschool?
- your own academic success (i.e. did you finish high school, college, do you know how to study, can you write a good essay, can you balance a budget, etc.) – if you are going to teach these things you need to have at least a basic mastery of these things!
- do you have the time (does one of you stay home to teach) while many homeschoolers get core subjects done in far less time than traditional school settings, it still takes time to prepare, teach, tutor, and guide your children in their studies
- do you have the finances – while you can homeschool for practically nothing (using sites like ours!) there is a financial cost if you have one fewer parent working plus especially as your children get older you will need to buy textbooks, supplies, and pay for enrichment opportunities (music lessons, art classes, gymnastics, etc.) Personally I average $500/year per child including our textbooks and an additional activity a quarter.
- state / country regulations – you want to do it legally so you will want to check with your local government to find out their requirements
Can you Problem Solve?
- curriculum – if your choice is not producing the desired outcome
- teaching approach – if your child is not understanding the material taught
- extra opportunities – will you be proactive in seeking out extra curricular opportunities to enhance your child’s learning like field trips, classes, more in depth classes, and experiences to help your kids be well rounded
- will you take the time needed to learn how to make transcripts so your kids can go to college when the time comes
- will you find creative ways to push your kids when they aren’t giving their all
How is your Relationship with your Kids?
- If your kids are sarcastic – they will become more sarcastic.
- If your kids are lazy – they will still be lazy
- If your kids are disobedient – you will see it more and likely be frustrated
Does that mean you shouldn’t homeschool unless you have perfect kids (which just in case you didn’t realize – none of us have)? Not at all! Homeschooling is a wonderful opportunity to build into the character of our children in a way that no other educational choice gives us! You get to use teachable moments that occur all day long to reinforce godly character in them! Chances are, if you stick with it and persevere, you will have a happier, more bonded family that enjoys spending time together and kids that you are proud of!
Will my kid be Hermits?
If you made it through these potential homeschool pitfalls and are thinking homeschooling just might be okay, let me share Why we LOVE Homeschooling to help you go from that would be okay to I’m excited to homeschool my kids!
Free Homeschool Worksheets
And no matter what you choose – we are here to help! We have over 1 milliion free worksheets, games, and activities for students Prek-8th grade. You can see printables by grade; simply click on the thumnails below :
Or find my free school worksheets by subject – click on a thumbnail below:
Each of these pages are filled with so many resources, you can’t download a pdf file of everything at once (you may laugh, but many have asked!).
- Click on the grade thumbnail
- Scroll to find the resource that works for your student / family and click on picture or title
- See the complete resource and if that was what you are looking for, go to the bottom of the post and click on the text link that says >> Download << OR for subscriber freebies just enter your email address in the box to confirm subscription and download. Easy Peasy! So many freebies in one place – take your time and browse -It’s all FREE!
Whatever you decide, know we homeschoolers are happy to help. Your teachers are here to help. We all need a little grace and to relax expectations so that we call get through the next several weeks (or months) without a panic attack 😉
- Brain Breaks for kids – studies show that taking a 3-5 minutes brain break increases productivity for the next 45 minutes! Plus, kids need to get the wiggles out and not sit in front of a screen all day as they school at home!
- Keep encouraging kids to wash their hands to fight germs with these 40+ FREE Printable Wash Your Hands Posters
- 1 million FREE Worksheets, Games, and Activities for Prek-8th grade
- Learn about other countries in the news: Spain Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages
- 40 Virtual Fieldtrips for Families practining Social Distancing
- Should I Homeschool
- Why I LOVE Homeschooling
- How to Choose a Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Homeschool in only 15 hours a week
- Homeschool Friends
- How to Homeschool for FREE
- Why we Homeschool
- Our Homeschool Room
- Our Workboxes
- Our Curriculum Choices
- Homeschooling Forms to help you get organized