Did you know that March 14th is pi day? Kids will have fun celebrating by making this adorable Fraction Pie Craft for Kids that helps kids learn a little about fractions too. This is ideal for Preschool, Kindergarten, and 1st grade kids.
What is PI Day?
Pi Day is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant π (pi). Pi Day is observed on March 14 (3/14 in the month/day date format) since 3, 1, and 4 are the first three significant digits of π
We like to celebrate Pi Day with pie! Many people make and eat pies as a fun celebration of this mathematical holiday.
Fraction Pie Craft for Kids
This adorable Fraction Pie Craft for Kids is perfect for learning about fractions and having fun on Pi Day too.
- 3 pieces of construction paper: tan, brown, and choice of color to mount pie on (we used blue)
- blue paint
- pom pom (per child)
- clothespin (per child)
- scissors (scrapbook scissors make super cute edges)
After covering our surface with paper, I put some paint on the paper. Then I clipped the clothespins to the pom poms.
The kids held the clothespin handle and dipped their pom pom brush in the paint to make their blueberries.
Continue stamping blueberries on your circle construction paper pie crust.
Kids can make as may or as few blueberries in their pie as they like. It is actually loads of un to paint with pom poms!
While the blueberries dry, use craft scissors (6 pack for kids) to make 1-2” strips of paper. You will need 8-9 strips.
Hint: This is great for refining the muscles in their hands!
Older kids can lattice the top by going over and under every other strip. Younger kids can just glue 4 strips horizontally and 4 more strips vertically. Allow it to dry.
Meanwhile, while your pie dries you can trace the free printable below.
Now have children cut your pie in half and then in half again to make quarters. Glue or tape on last piece of construction paper and attach the “I divided my pie in quarters.” sentence.
This is such a cute Pi Day Craft and math craft at the same time!
Math Activities for Kids
- Lego Duplo Number Mats
- Learning about Shapes Math Activity
- Connect 4 Fraction Game
- Gumball Math (addition & subtraction)
- Lego Multiplication Activity
We love celebrating fun holidays and fun days throughout the year! We have lots more special days throughout the year with activities to inspire you to create memories with your kids:
- Did you know there is a national Dice Day on December 4th? Try these dice games for kids
- Try these candy cane activities for National Candy Cane Day on December 26th
- After Christmas comes Three Kings Day for Kids on January 6th
- Celebrate Penguin Day on January 20th with these penguin crafts and activities
- Fun crafts and activities to celebrate Chinese New Year for Kids
- Carnival Crafts and Activities for National Carnival Day February 26
- These moon activities for kids will take you out of this world for National Moon Day on July 20th
- National Honey Bee Day is August 17th, celebrate with these bee activities for kids
- Learn about author Roald Dahl on September 13th with these roald dahl craft ideas
- Enjoy National Chocolate Day in Octoboer with these chocolate activities
- Become a super hero on Batman Day this September 15th with batman crafts and activities
- August 3rd is Watermelon Day, celebrate with these watermelon activities
- Sweeten your next July 15th with these gummy worm games for Gummy Worm Day
- Happy Birthday Donald Duck! Join in on the celebration this June 9th with these Donald Duck Day activities
- Head down to Seasame Street for these sesame street crafts for Sesame Street Day on November 10th
- Eat up on October 4th and celebrate Taco Day with these taco crafts
- Kids will love celebrating the largest living land mammal with these elephant activities to celebrate World Elephant Day on August 12th
- Mark your calendar for one of two donut days on June 7th and try these fun donut activities
- Celebrate Eric Carle’s birthday March 2nd with these hungry caterpillar crafts
- We celebrate Dr. Seuss day on his birthday on March 2nd with these fun dr seuss activities
- The 2nd week of mark is Bubble week! Join in on the fun with these bubble activities
- Let’s hear it for National Popcorn Day on January 19th with these poporn crafts
- Stay in your pjs for the Festival of Sleep Day on January 3rd and try one of these pajama day activities
- Grab some candy and try one of these activities for National Candy Day on November 4th.
- Make one of these mad hatter hat ideas to celebrate Mad Hatter Day on Octoboer 6th
- Show your patriotism by celebrating Flag Day on June 14th with one of these flag day activities
- Kids will go nuts over these jelly bean crafts for National Jelly Bean Day on April 22nd.
- Teach kids about our amazing planet on Earth Day this April 22nd with these Earth Day crafts
- Learn about frogs on Save the Frogs Day this April 30th with these frog activities
- May the 4th be with you on Star Wars Day! Try one of these star wars crafts today
- Celebrate Dental Health Month in February with these clever dental crafts
- 20 FUN peanut butter crafts to Celebrate National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day on April 2nd