If your child can read short words now, it is time to move on to longer words. Compound words are easy to read since it is just two(or more) short words combined. Learning about compound words is fun with this game using blocks! This is such a fun educational activity to make learning fun with first grade and 2nd graders.
Compound Words activity
Compound words are two (or more) root words combined to make a new word with a new meaning. It usually is two (or more) words that does not have anything in common, but put together it makes a new word that means something.
This is a great hands on activity for kindergarteners, grade 1, and second grade students.
Learning Compound Words with Blocks
For this activity I used Unifix blocks and a white board marker:
I wrote words on different color blocks, like “play” on purple and “room” on white blocks to illustrate that they are both complete word son their own (root words).
BUT, you can combine the two and make a new word: “playroom”. This you call a compound word.
HINT: You can find a list of compound words here and you can write words on all the sides of the blocks too!
How to play:
- Add all the same color blocks together. Does this make any sense?
- Are these real words? “Cakeprint?”, “Homeship”? No, it is a bit silly.
- Fix it up to make compound words that DO make sense! For example: “Cupcake” and “friendship” are words that make sense.
- Use every compound word in an oral or written sentence.
- Draw pictures of the newly formed compound words.
- Make up silly stories to explain meanings of words. For example: The cup and the cake went to school. It was time to play in the room, but the cake wanted to go home to do work…
Do you have any other clever ways of introducing compound words to children?
Be sure to check out these fun literacy activities too:
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? See more of our second grade worksheets plus our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!